What's new

Thank you, B & B! First time DE Shaver.

Hello,

As a recent DE convert, I wanted to post a "Thank you!" to the B & B community.

I have been wet shaving for more than 20 years with multi-blade razors and a variety of creams and lotions. I have tried a few electric shavers but they caused a LOT of irritation to my neck. I've had ingrown hair and neck irritation problems my entire shaving life.

About 18 months ago I bought a shaving kit from The Art of Shaving that consisted of a badger brush, pre-shave oil, shaving cream and after shave balm. That made my shaves less painfull but I was still using a Gillette Mach3 razor. I would only shave once per week due to the irritation and ingrown hairs. I think a big part of my problem is that I might have tried to extend the life of the Mach3 blades too far but I didn't like spending the $18 for 5 blades. I never learned how to make a lather and I would just put a blob of cream on the end of the brush and lather it on my face :blushing:

About a month ago I discovered this site and I bought a whole new shaving kit. I bought a sampler from WCS, a Gillette slim adjustable and a British made Gillette SS. I bought Proraso pre-shaving cream and C. O. Bigelow premium shave cream. I also bought a vintage Old Spice shaving mug but I am still using the AoS badger brush.

My first DE shave was with an Israeli (personna) red blade in the Gillette adjustable (set at 3). I used about 1/2" or cream but didn't get a good lather. I was very nervous and although the shave was pretty good, it could have been better. I only did one lather since there wasn't enough for a second attempt and shaved in pretty much the same way I shaved with the Mach3. I passed over the same area more than once to try for a smooth shave on the first pass. There were no nicks or cuts and I was happy.

My second shave (a week later) was with the same setup but I learned how to create a nice lather by watching the youtube videos. I managed 2 passes this time and although it was a closer shave I pushed too hard in one spot on my neck and managed a few nicks.

Today I tried a Dorco ST-301 in the British made Gillette SS. I could see by looking at the blade protrusion that this was going to be a different shave. I put too much water in my lather and it was very thin but I had LOTS of it lol. I was able to lather my face twice and did the first pass with the grain and the second across the grain. I used the 'beard reduction' approach this time and this shave feels amazing! It is smooth and comfortable with no burning at all afterwards. It was actually enjoyable for the first time ever :w00t:

I want to thank this community for helping me enjoy shaving. I am actually looking forward to the next time I get to shave!

Last edited:
Almost everyone on this website looks forward to their next shave. Like you I mindlessly shaved for years most of the time with just water and my multi-blade razor. I was web surfing one day and came across a site that sold Merkur razors bought one and it literally changed my morning ritual forever. Later I found this site and have never looked back. The community is ready to answer any and all questions you may have. Welcome to Badger and Blade we are glad to have you here.

Welcome to B&B!

Congratulations on finding your way here and to better shaves. I used to hate shaving too and now it is a pleasure. enjoy the shaves!

Top Bottom