What's new

Thai stainless Gillette Blue blades

lasta

Blade Biter
Hey guys,

Has anyone come across Thailand marketed stainless Gillette Blue blades?

As far as I know Blue blades were all carbon steel, except Chinese Super Blues.

The packaging on these are definitely of the old variety, but condition looks too good to be vintage.

Anyone shed some light on how these shave? Not expensive per SE, but I'm not short on inventory and hesitant on buying a blind batch.

idlefish-msg-1646023143924.jpg
idlefish-msg-1646023148445.jpg
idlefish-msg-1646023155729.jpg
idlefish-msg-1646023153519.jpg

I think it is the same blade as the current MIC Super Blue (this is for the Vietnam market though)

proxy.php

But with new packaging.

Based on the yellowing of the inner wrapper glue spots and the Gillette trade mark logo they are very likely vintage late 80's that look an awful lot like current Chinese made.

lasta

Blade Biter
Based on the yellowing of the inner wrapper glue spots and the Gillette trade mark logo they are very likely vintage late 80's that look an awful lot like current Chinese made.

Hmm, I read somewhere that Gillette got into China in the 90's...

I've seen a lot of fakes, but none that went through the trouble of going after vintage logos. Guess I'll have to judge when I get them :c3:

Are the Chinese ones any good? Pretty sure these are just repackaged as another user mentioned.

The MIC Super Blue is one of the best blades Gillette makes, and I've used pretty much all the current ones the Indian, Russian, Chinese Gillette factories makes. I found the MIC Super Blue to be very smooth, as smooth as the Russian Blue Platinum but a touch sharper.

The Super Blue blades are excellent when you can find them. They seem identical to the Super Thin/Super Thin Platinum to me and it's definitely worth seeking those.

lasta

Blade Biter
The Super Blue blades are excellent when you can find them. They seem identical to the Super Thin/Super Thin Platinum to me and it's definitely worth seeking those.
The MIC Super Blue is one of the best blades Gillette makes, and I've used pretty much all the current ones the Indian, Russian, Chinese Gillette factories makes. I found the MIC Super Blue to be very smooth, as smooth as the Russian Blue Platinum but a touch sharper.
Hi,

I agree with the Super Blue Blades. If anything, the bevels seem better polished than Russian Gillettes. I happen to have lived in China for the past 6 years and always pick up a pack on travel.

Problem is, there are more fakes floating around than authentic Gillette produce haha. I would trust places like RBC to buy them from, but domestically I only buy individual packs from super markets, haven't found a reliable online retailer. Sticker price works out to ~$29/100 :em2700:

In any case, the potentially vintage Stainless Blues are on the way to me. Will let you know if they are worth keeping an eye out for.

Hi,

I agree with the Super Blue Blades. If anything, the bevels seem better polished than Russian Gillettes. I happen to have lived in China for the past 6 years and always pick up a pack on travel.

Problem is, there are more fakes floating around than authentic Gillette produce haha. I would trust places like RBC to buy them from, but domestically I only buy individual packs from super markets, haven't found a reliable online retailer. Sticker price works out to ~$29/100 :em2700:

In any case, the potentially vintage Stainless Blues are on the way to me. Will let you know if they are worth keeping an eye out for.

There's a seller in the UK which sells the Vietnamese ones, £9 for 100 shipped in the UK, which are genuine. I don't what their shipping costs are outside the UK.

Otherwise RBC have them for £15 for a 100, and they are genuine and have good shipping costs for North America.

Where abouts in China are you? I made it as far as HK a while back, fascinating part of the world!

lasta

Blade Biter
There's a seller in the UK which sells the Vietnamese ones, £9 for 100 shipped in the UK, which are genuine. I don't what their shipping costs are outside the UK.

Otherwise RBC have them for £15 for a 100, and they are genuine and have good shipping costs for North America.

Where abouts in China are you? I made it as far as HK a while back, fascinating part of the world!
Shanghai.

I spent part of 2009 in HK as well, loved it! But that was before all the shenanigans over the past few years haha.

lasta

Blade Biter
Blades have arrived. Can't wait to test them out tomorrow!

Definitely old smell/paper deterioration. No country of origin, but Gillette logo and grind pattern is similar to 70's era Super Silvers (double bevel, corner edges slightly less rounded than Spoilers). Only identifiable code is SS2 A/3 4, could mean 1972, or could mean nothing. But I doubt a counterfeit would bother with such details.

20220303_190027.jpg
20220303_190058.jpg
20220303_190147.jpg
20220303_190152.jpg
20220303_190835.jpg
20220303_190220.jpg
20220303_190251.jpg
20220303_190308.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
So, I shaved with one this morning.

For posterity, if you do come across them, they are worth picking up.

I have thick skin and rarely deal with excessive irritation, so not the best judge of blade performance.

But from how smooth they feel, and how well they pop hairs off on against the grain slow strokes, I'd rate them on par with French Super Silvers, maybe a hair above Spoilers.

No way these are 1972. That Gillette logo has been used from 1974 to 1991. But that is mostly in Europe and the US. In many other factories it has been used for a couple more years. My good guess is these are made in the first years of the Shanghai factory, it was started 1991 or 1992.

Top Bottom