What's new

TGN knots

Would someone educate me on the difference in feel between TGN standard silvertip knots and their finest super 2 band? I am considering trying my hand at turning a brush and want a good knot.

Thanks!

I LOVE their Finest 2-band, seriously. I enjoy using the Finest and Silvertip both, but the Finest has turned out to be my favorite. Finest = Outstanding

There will be some scritch, not scratch, but once the knot breaks in, mine were fantastic. I like a bit of backbone and good tips because I don't want to lather up with the spine of the bristles or hair. If you don't want scratch, pass on the pure knots. If you want a full, soft knot, you'll need something extremely dense, but they are soap and water "hawgs", not hogs.

Finest gets my vote. Was my first badger. Great value and not so expensive that your afraid to use it. I have a 26 and 28. My TGN silvertips are a little pokey. Wont get those again.

I have one brush with a 24mm TGN 2-band finest and it is wonderful. No scritch whatsoever, soft gel-like tips and great "schmooshy" splay! 3-band (silvertip) can be luxuriously soft, but does not offer a great deal of backbone in comparison and is generally better suited to creams than harder soaps.

TGN finest super 2 band it is! The order has been placed. Now to search for some turning blanks and figure out what on earth I'm doing. This is already fun!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I know the order has been done but I would have suggested getting one of each and make a couple of brushes. If you are going to make one brush then why not make two?

I know the order has been done but I would have suggested getting one of each and make a couple of brushes. If you are going to make one brush then why not make two?

Oh believe me I thought of that. And it may end up happening as I am sure I will get an extra blank or two to play around with. I just can't justify spending the money on 2 knots. One at a time...

Good choice on the two band. It's TGN's best knot.

Their silvertips are tricky as one is plush soft while there's a couple that I found prickly! I just can't remember which is which as I used them many years ago, when just standard, run of the mill, silvertip brushes were $100!!

Top Bottom