What's new

TGN knot most similar to a chubby?

I'm looking for a TGN knot that will be most similar to a simpson chubby. I have access to a handle with a 28mm opening (could possibly get one 30). What in your honest opinion is the way to go. I was looking at the Finest 26mm extra stuffed, silvertip grade A 24mm, silvertip short loft 24mm, silvertip 26 or 28mm, or the super 22mm.

Anyone own a chubby and some TGN knots that can comment? Also, will I be able to set these knots low enough with a handle having a 28mm diameter opening to achieve a 49-50mm loft. I think most of these knots are in the 67-75mm loft range, so I would have to set them at least 17mm deep.

I don't think TGN supply anything like Simpson Best hair, I'd go for the Finest Extra anyway, soft and scrubby and comparable in density.

With a 24 mm extra knot set at 50mm I used a 28mm hole. With a 26mm knot I feel a 28mm hole will be too tight, you'll need a 30mm if you want to set that at 50mm loft in my opinion.

I don't think TGN supply anything like Simpson Best hair, I'd go for the Finest Extra anyway, soft and scrubby and comparable in density.

With a 24 mm extra knot set at 50mm I used a 28mm hole. With a 26mm knot I feel a 28mm hole will be too tight, you'll need a 30mm if you want to set that at 50mm loft in my opinion.

Thanks for the opinion. IT sounds like the finest are the best value from TGN and the softest. I will be using this for face lathering if that changes anything.

Anyone try the 23mm UK Super from TGN. Is it worth the extra money?

Last edited:
Also, is the listed knot size of say the chubby 2 (27mm) the actual diameter of the opening in the handle, or does it refer to the actual knot size down inside the handle? thanks for any info

Finest extra, high density is our favorite TGN knot also.
Set it a bit deeper instead of drilling out the handle to make it wider, that will also provide some stiffness and backbone feel.

Sizes in my experience refer to the size of the knot at the lowest part.

TGN indicates that a 22mm knot will fit a 22mm hole, and therefore actually measures 21+ mm.

So maybe the Finest 26 will do, or the 24mm.
My personal choice would be the 24 mm, I like my knots contained.

And if you use creams a lot, Silvertip is also an option.

Last edited:
I love that knot and I find it virtually indistinguishable from the Vulfix/Simpson 23mm Super... (draw your own conclusions :001_smile )

Hmm...good to hear. I am now thinking of getting this one and using it in a 27mm diameter opening, setting it low enough to get a 49-50mm loft.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I have a number of brush restores I'm about to embark on and will probably use the finest in most of them, varying knot sizes and lofts. This handles I'm talking about is a little more special and I'm wanting to do something different with it. The UK 23mm super seems like a good choice for it.

See my wiki ( link in sig ) for some info about TGN knots that may assist you :001_smile

I've definitely looked over that wiki, and it is very useful. Thanks for putting that together. I'm definitely going to use some of the finest for some of my restores, but I want this brush to be different (hopefully having the handle hand turned to my specs).

I don't know if this will help.I tried to make a brush using chubby specs.It is a 26mm extra stuffed set a 50mm loft.The bore in my handle is between 27.5-28mm.Here are two pics full dry bloom to get an idea of how it will turn out.The bloomage should be about the same with a finest.

Nice. I have a handle with a TGN 24mm Silvertip that I just never use because it's too floppy. I love the handle, though. Maybe I'll try to re-knot it.

The one Spanx has looks just right. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I don't know if this will help.I tried to make a brush using chubby specs.It is a 26mm extra stuffed set a 50mm loft.The bore in my handle is between 27.5-28mm.Here are two pics full dry bloom to get an idea of how it will turn out.The bloomage should be about the same with a finest.

Nice, I was unsure if a 26 extra would fit in a 28mm bore and sit low enough to have a 50mm loft. Although, I've read that the TGNs run a little smaller than specs.

Right now I'm deciding between the 23mm UK Super and 26 mm finest. The bore has a 28mm diameter.

How do you like the finest in these specs?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Nice, I was unsure if a 26 extra would fit in a 28mm bore and sit low enough to have a 50mm loft. Although, I've read that the TGNs run a little smaller than specs.

Right now I'm deciding between the 23mm UK Super and 26 mm finest. The bore has a 28mm diameter.

My experience is that it needs about 2 mm more in the hole size than the nominal knot size if you set the knot at a shorter loft, so your 28 mm hole for the 26 mm knot sounds about right. I normally use a 7/8" hole for a 20 mm knot and a 15/16" hole for a 22 mm knot if they are to be set at loft of low to mid 40's mm loft.

As long as you have a hollow handle you can set the loft as high or low as you want.some of the knots run a little below specs.Primarily the lower grade chinese ones and the UK ones.I used a silvertip and getting it in that bore size wasen't easy.I had to wash the knot by itself then bind the hairs while still damp and I still had to wiggle it back and forth with some force to get it in there.If your handle bore is 28mm the 23mm UK super is way too small.I don't know how a finest performs at the same specs but I can tell you that the silver tip I used is my favorite brush to date.

As long as you have a hollow handle you can set the loft as high or low as you want.some of the knots run a little below specs.Primarily the lower grade chinese ones and the UK ones.I used a silvertip and getting it in that bore size wasen't easy.I had to wash the knot by itself then bind the hairs while still damp and I still had to wiggle it back and forth with some force to get it in there.If your handle bore is 28mm the 23mm UK super is way too small.I don't know how a finest performs at the same specs but I can tell you that the silver tip I used is my favorite brush to date.

You just used the normal grade 26mm silvertip from TGN?

Also, I am having the handle made, so I can get the diameter any size I want. I just wanted to get something as close to a simpson chubby as possible. I was shying awawy from TGNs silvertips as I've read that they are pretty scritchy. I could do a 25mm bore with the UK 23mm knot, but that might not be similar to a chubby. Maybe I should just do the finest or silvertip in the 26mm knot and 28mm bore.

Last edited:
You just used the normal grade 26mm silvertip from TGN?

Also, I am having the handle made, so I can get the diameter any size I want. I just wanted to get something as close to a simpson chubby as possible. I was shying awawy from TGNs silvertips as I've read that they are pretty scritchy. I could do a 25mm bore with the UK 23mm knot, but that might not be similar to a chubby. Maybe I should just do the finest or silvertip in the 26mm knot and 28mm bore.

As far as I know it's a regular silver tip.When doing a trade with a member he ordered a 26 finest and so says the paperwork but I've had 2 other silvertip and this one looks exactly the same.The thing about silver tip scritchyness has to do with the bore size in the handle in relationship with the knot and also the loft.My other 2 silver tip brush heads 20mm and 26mm were set at 22x58 and 28 x 60.They were the scritchy ones. My 26x50 is not scritchy.I believe this is because I did not sit them as tight as I did this one and also the loft longer.(no choice cause the handles wouldn't allow it.)Think of it a bed of nails.The tighter the grouping of the nails the easier it is to sleep on.I used this reference because although the hair in the knots are the same how it's installed makes a difference in how it feels and performs.
If you want a chubby like brush I would suggest not going with a UK super ( don't know about silvertip) because they a lower density than a comparible chinese one.They are softer to the touch though.I have a 21mm UK super I set in a 21mm bore at 50mm loft.This brush requires a very light touch to use properly.No massaging with this one.I could have easily gotten it into a bore size of 19mm.This may have firmed it up a little but not comparable at all to the feel of my silver tip.

As far as I know it's a regular silver tip.When doing a trade with a member he ordered a 26 finest and so says the paperwork but I've had 2 other silvertip and this one looks exactly the same.The thing about silver tip scritchyness has to do with the bore size in the handle in relationship with the knot and also the loft.My other 2 silver tip brush heads 20mm and 26mm were set at 22x58 and 28 x 60.They were the scritchy ones. My 26x50 is not scritchy.I believe this is because I did not sit them as tight as I did this one and also the loft longer.(no choice cause the handles wouldn't allow it.)Think of it a bed of nails.The tighter the grouping of the nails the easier it is to sleep on.I used this reference because although the hair in the knots are the same how it's installed makes a difference in how it feels and performs.
If you want a chubby like brush I would suggest not going with a UK super ( don't know about silvertip) because they a lower density than a comparible chinese one.They are softer to the touch though.I have a 21mm UK super I set in a 21mm bore at 50mm loft.This brush requires a very light touch to use properly.No massaging with this one.I could have easily gotten it into a bore size of 19mm.This may have firmed it up a little but not comparable at all to the feel of my silver tip.

I think I've actually decided to go with the 28mm silvertip in a 30mm bore. I hope that is not too tight and I can get it down to my desired loft of 50mm. Maybe I should have a 31mm bore made instead?

Sounds like a good size knot to use.To keep it in line with a chubbyesque theme you might think about a little longer loft like on a size 3.

Top Bottom