What's new

TGN HMW loft question

I am going to order a 20 or a 22mm HMW knot from TGN soon. I like my brushes with a lot of backbone and didn't know where to start on the loft height.

My favorite knot by far is a 24mm Finest set at 49mm if this helps any.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412894460.118124.jpg

Theoretically, if the knot is stiffer, you don't need to sink the knot deeper into the handle. I would start it at the typical 10 mm deep and see how you like it. Set it with silicon until you find the depth you like.

Theoretically, if the knot is stiffer, you don't need to sink the knot deeper into the handle. I would start it at the typical 10 mm deep and see how you like it. Set it with silicon until you find the depth you like.

Thanks man, that's how I've done it before. Guess I'll just have to experiment with the loft a little before I set it. Never had any experience with the HMW knots. I assume they are denser and softer.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
They are supposed to have good backbone, but I have not tried one yet. Has your arrived?

I have been test lathering my HMW and it has decent backbone but its nowhere near a finest. My 22mm HMW knot required a 25mm hole and it fits snugly inside. I had it mounted at 45mm initially but I felt I needed a bit more hair as it was pretty short and didn't feel right. I settled at 48mm. I have several TGN Finest but I don't set them quite as deep as many here do.

Mike they will be here today.

Yeah the one above is about perfect backbone for me. I'll start at about 48mm and see what it's like.

Top Bottom