What's new

TGN Grade A Silvertip Knot Scritchy

I set a TGN Grade A Silvertip knot in A Heritage Collection handle with a loft of 52 - 53 mm. The good news is that it hasn’t fallen out - yet.

The bad news is the knot is scritchy. i thought I was imagining it, but sure enough it’s a scritchy silvertip. I didn’t think that was possible. I’m glad I used silicone because I’m thinking of pulling it.

I had a similar silver tip that started out a little scritchy when in use. But after about 20 shaves or so all that was gone and I was left with a wonderful soft knot.

I assume it was just maybe some type of chemical for protection that was put on at the factory or something like that.

(Sent from mobile)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Had the same problem and don't much use TGN these days. It really didn't seem like silvertip, the one I bought.

I had a similar silver tip that started out a little scritchy when in use. But after about 20 shaves or so all that was gone and I was left with a wonderful soft knot.

I assume it was just maybe some type of chemical for protection that was put on at the factory or something like that.

(Sent from mobile)

Hopefully the scritch will go away.

Had the same problem and don't much use TGN these days. It really didn't seem like silvertip, the one I bought.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's soft to the touch even when dry and splays easily. It just doesn't have the face feel of silvertip. My other silvertip brushes are not soft to the touch when dry, splay easily, are soft on the face and have zero scritch.

Have the same knot and is super soft. Any chance there is a rouge fat hair or upside down one that needs culling?

The Grade A is unfortunately a scritchy knot.
I sold mine off (years ago) as it as too much for my skin.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's soft to the touch even when dry and splays easily. It just doesn't have the face feel of silvertip. My other silvertip brushes are not soft to the touch when dry, splay easily, are soft on the face and have zero scritch.
Haha I've also been surprised when I got my first 2 badgers, a silvertip and a super badger : the silvertip is spiky when dry but very soft when wet and the super badger it's the opposite, softer when dry and little scritchy when wet.

Attachments

• IMG_1676 copy.jpg
    IMG_1676 copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1675 copy.jpg
    IMG_1675 copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Definitely has not been my experience.

(Sent from mobile)

When did you get yours?

I got mine about 7 years ago.
I suspect the knots were untreated back then.
These days, practically all vendors are stocking gelled knots...which I absolutely hate! They feel slimy on the face.

I like untreated knots that give presence on the face without scritch. Unfortunately not many of these to choose from these days!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have tried this, but it did not work for me.
One of my suppliers of Manchurian knots in China had sent me a few deliveries of great quality knots, but one - the last one - was so scritchy I could not use them. This being said, it was the last time I bought knots from China - the quality is not consistent at all (my reasoning mainly to use Shavemac knots only...).
I tried this procedure, with differing amounts in the chemical treatment and blower dryer settings. The knots gel, but the scritch is still there, maybe a little less, but not gone. The knots feel still uncomfy on the face.

This also reminds me of the revered Rooney Finest some 10/11 years ago. After I finally scored one, the disappointment was huge: knot felt very soft dry, but was like barbed wire when wet in use on the face - face was bright red after use (and it was not the soap...) - this never happened with any other brush I have used.

This also reminds me of the revered Rooney Finest some 10/11 years ago. After I finally scored one, the disappointment was huge: knot felt very soft dry, but was like barbed wire when wet in use on the face - face was bright red after use (and it was not the soap...) - this never happened with any other brush I have used.

Thanks for the heads up on the gel process. I think I will just put in another knot.

This is exactly what happened to me. After using that brush I had so much irritation that most of my face was red. I thought I was having a reaction to the soap.

Top Bottom