What's new

TGN Finest or Finest F2

I recently put a 22mm F2 from TGN into a vintage red and white handled Rubberset which I've been using this week. I put about 1/4" extra filler in the handle when I installed the knot so that it would stand a little higher. At this point, I have used it only with creams, and a small dab has been producing enough lather for a good 2 or 3 pass shave. I have another old Rubberset, which I did with a TGN "best" (if I remember correctly) and no extra filler in the handle. It is a bit stiffer, and requires more work to lather, but is OK with both soaps and creams ... though I prefer the red and white, especially with the creams.

I've been looking into both of these options. I've read on this forum that the TGN finest have 'gel tips'. Seems like this is a term that's been thrown around a bit, but I definitely must try one!
I may just pull the trigger on an F2 and see how it goes. Are the tips curved at all?

I was about to post a thread asking about the F2. I just ordered 2 of them the other day. A 18 and a 24. I am really looking forward to trying them out.

Have you gotten a chance to try the F2? I'm curious as to how the machurian hair that they use makes the F2 different.

Finally tried the F2 for the first time this morning. I set the 20mm F2 knot in an Ever-Ready 100 handle:

$ER 100 After A.jpg

I ended up setting the loft a little higher than usual (52mm), mostly for aesthetics, and I'm glad I did. My impression from this morning's shave is that the F2 knot has more backbone than the regular Finest knot. I didn't, however, perceive any significant difference in the softness of the tips. In all other respects the F2 knot seems to perform on par with the regular Finest knot. Perhaps with use I'll identify additional differences.

My set up for this morning's shave:

View attachment 361554

1958 Gillette Heavy Red Tip Super Speed
Feather Hi-Stainless (4)
Restored Ever-Ready 100 with TGN F2 Finest Badger
Gold Dachs Soap
Speick AS

Beautiful brush, Jim.

i have a F2, 22/50 that I put in a Grovesnor handle. It is one of my favorite brushes. Soft tips, good backbone, and a great feel on my face. I wouldn't give up any of my big name, higher priced brushes, but the F2 doesn't take a backseat to any of them. In fact, it even looks very much like my Simpsons 2 bands. I have no experience with Finest to compare the two and need to get a Finest knot. I know that those who do a lot of restorations really like Finest knots but I hate to try anything else since I like the F2 so much.

I would not go with the F2 Finest. In my opinion, it does not have sufficient backbone. The tips are reasonably soft, but not close to the softest I've found. Performance-wise it does a very credible job; good flow through and will lather up a storm. I also have the discontinued Finest XH knot, which I prefer based on it feel.

For a bit more money, I would like to try the Shavemac Finest hair grade. I've read good things about it.

I also have the discontinued Finest XH knot, which I prefer based on it feel.

Are the XH's officially discontinued? I thought I heard somewhere that they simply don't designate them as "XH" anymore. On the individual knot pages, it looks like all the Finest bulbs still note "extra hair" in the description. Though it appears that the fans do not.

Are the XH's officially discontinued? I thought I heard somewhere that they simply don't designate them as "XH" anymore. On the individual knot pages, it looks like all the Finest bulbs still note "extra hair" in the description. Though it appears that the fans do not.

In that case I stand corrected. My apologies, I probably didn't read the small print carefully enough.

I ordered the f2 knot. The tips were softer than the finest 2 band & the backbone was weaker. I returned it to TGN because I prefer the finest xh 2 band, which has soft tips with better backbone.
fwiw,
Vic

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I really like TGN Finest. All of the knots below are TGN Finest, but one is an F2...wanna guess which one?

$IMG_3877.jpg
$IMG_3878.jpg

My experience has been that there is a bit of variability in them, all feel a bit different. Some have softer tips, some have more backbone than others. Additionally, the depth at which the knot is set, has significant impact on the overall feel of the knot.

IMO, the F2 has more backbone and softer tips, but it could be how deep I set the knot as much as anything else.

The F2 knot is in the Amber Century 2nd from right

Last edited:
I have used both, the regular finest has more backbone with just a touch of scritch. The Finest 2 has less backbone but more than silvertips I have used. The tips are a lot softer though. So what to choose? If you want more backbone and like a little scritch finest. Less backbone is okay but you do want softer tips go with the finest 2

Top Bottom