What's new

TGN Finest or Finest F2

I am thinking of replacing two brushes. One a 18mm and one a 22mm.

A family member has the Finest and loves it.

Anyone experience the Finest F2?

Any other knots you would recommend from TGN or other sources that is currently in stock?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I just ordered some knots from TGN, but not the F2. For only a few dollars more, I wish I had, but I love the regular finest.

Last edited:
I was looking at the F2 last night. They say it is from Manchurian badger. That got my attention!

Last edited:
I have two regular finest knots and they are great. I just ordered an F2. I'm looking forward to trying that thing out. Hopefully it is as good or better than the regular

I wished the F2 came in a fan-shaped knot. I got the regular finest in the fan shape and its great. I can hardly tell the difference between that and one of my Rooney Heritage two-band brushes.

Interesting that this should come up, but I also was curious about the difference between the regular Finest and the new F2. And I happened to have a few vintage handles that are almost ready for knots. So, I'm currently awaiting delivery of three knots from TGN: 20mm Finest, 20mm Finest F2 and 24mm Super 2 Band Finest.

I'm also curious about this, as I'm about to re-knot an EverReady 100 with a TGN knot. The website lists a few small differences in the quality of the two hair types, but my big question has to do with the disappearance of the Finest XH knots. Does the F2 match the XH in density or is it merely a slightly better class of hair?

I'm also curious about this, as I'm about to re-knot an EverReady 100 with a TGN knot. The website lists a few small differences in the quality of the two hair types, but my big question has to do with the disappearance of the Finest XH knots. Does the F2 match the XH in density or is it merely a slightly better class of hair?

I called TGN recently with a few questions. I did ask about some of the knots said or used to say XH. He said that he requests all his knots to be packed with extra hair. We were mainly talking about finest so I don't know if he meant all finest are packed more per his request or all the knots are packed more.

I have two regular finest knots and they are great. I just ordered an F2. I'm looking forward to trying that thing out. Hopefully it is as good or better than the regular

Interesting that this should come up, but I also was curious about the difference between the regular Finest and the new F2. And I happened to have a few vintage handles that are almost ready for knots. So, I'm currently awaiting delivery of three knots from TGN: 20mm Finest, 20mm Finest F2 and 24mm Super 2 Band Finest.

Did either of you receive your Finest F2s yet? If so, how are they?

Did either of you receive your Finest F2s yet? If so, how are they?

I have, but I haven't set the F2 yet-- still a little work to do on the Ever-Ready handle it will be occupying. I probably won't have time to get back to it before next week, unfortunately.

I set the Finest in a Rubberset 600N handle and used it this morning.

$Rubberset 600N After.jpg

For the money, it's sure hard to beat a TGN Finest.

I have, but I haven't set the F2 yet-- still a little work to do on the Ever-Ready handle it will be occupying. I probably won't have time to get back to it before next week, unfortunately.

I set the Finest in a Rubberset 600N handle and used it this morning.

For the money, it's sure hard to beat a TGN Finest.

What size knot and what loft did you set it? How was it?

What size knot and what loft did you set it? How was it?

The knot is 20mm and loft is 51mm. If you're interested in the restoration details, I posted a thread in the Brush Making and Restoration sub-forum (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-(but-probably-not-the-model-you-re-thinking)).

As for the brush's performance, my impressions seem to mirror those who are fans of TGN Finest knots. For the first shave I both face and bowl lathered Razorock Mudder Focker croap, and the brush does both very well. The knot is plenty dense for my taste, sufficiently scrubby and produces only minor scritch. At 51mm there's sufficient backbone for me; it's not the least bit floppy. Flow-through is about what I'd expect for a knot of this size and density-- not bad, but I wish it were better, but in my experience, that's just the nature of the beast. The tips are very soft and feel good on the skin.

Hope this is helpful.

I look forward to it. Does it at least appear as dense or soft?

I wish I'd been paying more attention when mine arrived. From memory (which no doubt may be faulty), I don't recall noticing any significant difference between the Finest and F2 knots in either overall appearance or softness of the tips. I'll try to remember to take a close look tonight.

The knot is 20mm and loft is 51mm. If you're interested in the restoration details, I posted a thread in the Brush Making and Restoration sub-forum (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/359228-Yet-another-Rubberset-restoration-%28but-probably-not-the-model-you-re-thinking%29).

As for the brush's performance, my impressions seem to mirror those who are fans of TGN Finest knots. For the first shave I both face and bowl lathered Razorock Mudder Focker croap, and the brush does both very well. The knot is plenty dense for my taste, sufficiently scrubby and produces only minor scritch. At 51mm there's sufficient backbone for me; it's not the least bit floppy. Flow-through is about what I'd expect for a knot of this size and density-- not bad, but I wish it were better, but in my experience, that's just the nature of the beast. The tips are very soft and feel good on the skin.

Hope this is helpful.

Very helpful...by the way, fantastic job on that brush!

I wish I'd been paying more attention when mine arrived. From memory (which no doubt may be faulty), I don't recall noticing any significant difference between the Finest and F2 knots in either overall appearance or softness of the tips. I'll try to remember to take a close look tonight.

I did notice that the tips are whiter and the shaft is darker

Very helpful...by the way, fantastic job on that brush!

Thanks much, Justin!

I did notice that the tips are whiter and the shaft is darker

This morning I remembered to take a close look at my TGN knots, the Finest (used once) and F2 (unused). Considering that, even within the same grade, there likely is some measure of variance from knot to knot, I'm not convinced there's any material difference in coloration between the two. On mine, the tips appear to be virtually identical, and the shaft hairs on the Finest appear slightly darker. The face feel and performance of the knots very well may turn out to be significantly different, of course.

Thanks much, Justin!

This morning I remembered to take a close look at my TGN knots, the Finest (used once) and F2 (unused). Considering that, even within the same grade, there likely is some measure of variance from knot to knot, I'm not convinced there's any material difference in coloration between the two. On mine, the tips appear to be virtually identical, and the shaft hairs on the Finest appear slightly darker. The face feel and performance of the knots very well may turn out to be significantly different, of course.

Have you gotten a chance to try the F2? I'm curious as to how the machurian hair that they use makes the F2 different.

Top Bottom