What's new

TexOkie’s Shaving Journey

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
1609699342091.jpeg

Looking forward to reading it!

I began shaving, to the best of my memory, in 1967 when I was 15. I can’t recall what my original razor was other than it was a TTO with a chrome plated handle. I think it was a Super Speed, but I have no way to be sure. I do remember that I used Gillette Blue Blades in the 5 blade metal & plastic dispenser. I also used Gillette Foamy in an aerosol can and for aftershave it was Avon Wild Country. Mom was big on Avon.

While my dad was around, he didn’t bother to teach me anything about shaving, which is just as well. I don’t think he knew anymore about it than I did.

I used that setup until well after I was married. At some point, in the 70’s, or 80’s I started using a Trac II razor and then upgraded to a Gillette Sensor Excel. The shave cream stayed the same until Edge Shave Gel came out. At that point I not only switched cream, I dropped the aftershave and went au naturale

A few more years down the road and my aunt gifted me a bottle of Kouros EDT. My wife liked it so much that I’ve used nothing else since then.

I used that setup until January 2020. In a casual conversation with my wife, I mentioned that I was sick of paying for expensive cartridges and wondered why I ever stopped shaving with my old Gillette. The next thing I knew, she had purchased a Micro One Touch razor.

I loaded up the razor with the Dorco blade that came with it, lathered up with the Edge shaving gel and had my first DE shave in in over 30 years. It was not pretty. I had nicks and weepers everywhere.

I shaved with the cartridge for about another week while I researched DE shaving. I discovered Nick Shaves on YouTube and picked up a lot of tips that I had either forgotten or never knew. I then discovered Geofatboy and Mantic59. What? You can do multiple passes?

I learned a lot from watching the YouTube shavers, but still felt something was missing. The shaves with the One Touch and the Dorco blades got better as the days went on. I ordered TOBS Jermyn Street, an Edwin Jagger Super Badger, and a blade sampler from Amazon.

When the shave goodies arrived, I opened up an Astra tuck and had my first real DE shave ever. I was in love with the brush and TOBS cream immediately. As for the blade, I chucked the remaining Dorco blades in file 13 and shaved the next five weeks with the Astra blades.

At the end of February, one of my Google searches brought up Badger & Blade. I signed up and began reading the posts. I discovered a whole new world of wet shaving. New razors, synthetic brushes, and every blade under the sun.

More about my adventures with Mitchell’s Wool Fat in the next post.

I’ve ignored my journal for far too long. Since posting the start of the journal, I have had issues with a vestibular disorder that knocks me out of kilter for days at a time. I’ve also rediscovered fountain pens, and I’ve become mostly retired. I’ve used my extra time to catch up on the massive honey do list that has grown throughout the years.

I know that I promised an update on my adventures with Mitchell’s Wool Fat. But that is such a long history, I just wasn’t up to posting it here. Then it occurred to me that I can post the link to the thread and you can click on the link and be transported to that story.

I hope you enjoy the read. I’ll try to get back here more often, but I’m changing this to a general diary stead of a shaving journal.

I have done a horrible job keeping my commitment to update this journal. I think it’s because I intended to go back and document my Mitchell’s Wool Fat journey. That was a mistake. My OCD could not deal with that project. I couldn’t figure out how to put that information in here without spending the rest of my life doing it. So I’m going to document my shaving journey from this point forward.

This morning I got confused on my medications and got my morning and evening medications all mixed up. I ended up dumping each dosage, sorting it out and putting the meds where they belonged. This put me behind schedule and late for church.

I tell you this to justify my cheating. I didn’t use The Fat this morning, I was short on time, so I used A&E Kaizen. It lathers quicker and gives me the same slickness that The Fat does. I also cheated during my shave. I did a modified XTG ATG pass. It was on an angle between XTG and ATG. The thinking was to get a closer shave with just one pass. As I said, I was short on time and I was trying to make up time wherever I could and still be bathed, clean shaven and sweet smelling for church.

The modified pass didn’t go so well. I might as well slowed down a bit and done a proper XTG pass and stopped there.

The shave, while presentable by eye, would not pass the smooch test. I’ll try to ignore it until tomorrow morning when I can apply a proper shave with a new Feather blade and The Fat. Till then, good shaving and good day.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This morning I got confused on my medications and got my morning and evening medications all mixed up. I ended up dumping each dosage, sorting it out and putting the meds where they belonged. This put me behind schedule and late for church.

I tell you this to justify my cheating. I didn’t use The Fat this morning, I was short on time, so I used A&E Kaizen. It lathers quicker and gives me the same slickness that The Fat does. I also cheated during my shave. I did a modified XTG ATG pass. It was on an angle between XTG and ATG. The thinking was to get a closer shave with just one pass. As I said, I was short on time and I was trying to make up time wherever I could and still be bathed, clean shaven and sweet smelling for church.

The modified pass didn’t go so well. I might as well slowed down a bit and done a proper XTG pass and stopped there.

The shave, while presentable by eye, would not pass the smooch test. I’ll try to ignore it until tomorrow morning when I can apply a proper shave with a new Feather blade and The Fat. Till then, good shaving and good day.

I'm only on one set of meds for my neuro issues, and they're only one time of day... supposedly. They should be taken at night, but as I don't have a stable body clock, that could be anywhere from mid afternoon, to mid morning. I do however have flexibility in the dose, and can choose between one pill or two, depending how I'm doing in the overall cycle (clear thinking but migrainous at one end of the spectrum, or zombiefied but non-migrainous at the other).

That is of course assuming I haven't absent mindedly forgotten, or had one of those moments where I'm not sure whether I've taken them or not, and don't want to risk doubling up. 🤣

Thankfully I don't have to rush shaves like that any more though :D

I hope you get a more satisfying shave tomorrow, Eric :thumbup1:

I'm only on one set of meds for my neuro issues, and they're only one time of day... supposedly. They should be taken at night, but as I don't have a stable body clock, that could be anywhere from mid afternoon, to mid morning. I do however have flexibility in the dose, and can choose between one pill or two, depending how I'm doing in the overall cycle (clear thinking but migrainous at one end of the spectrum, or zombiefied but non-migrainous at the other).

That is of course assuming I haven't absent mindedly forgotten, or had one of those moments where I'm not sure whether I've taken them or not, and don't want to risk doubling up. 🤣

Thankfully I don't have to rush shaves like that any more though :D

I hope you get a more satisfying shave tomorrow, Eric :thumbup1:
I am so glad you posted this. It reminded me to take my evening meds.

:em3400:

I should have stayed far away from the razor this morning. I should have taken it as a harbinger when I started to shave and I had trouble with the fat. The lather was as if there was too much water. I guess I didn’t get the water squeezed out of the brush.

Then I forgot to put hot water or Pre-shave on my face, and applied lather to a dry face.

My first stroke was smooth and had no feel to it. I thought wow, it feels like there isn’t a blade in the razor! That’s because there wasn’t.

I should have stopped there. Everything pointed to disaster. But did I listen? Oh, no…why would I listen to the voice of reason, I never have before?

At any rate, I loaded up a new Feather blade and proceeded to hack up my face. I ended up with three bleeders, one which defied the alum block and the nick stick.

The next time I make crappy lather, I’m just going to wash it down the drain and walk away…who am I kidding?

This has nothing to do with shaving, but today I start a new phase of my life. I will be working from home 100% of the time. I work for 6 hours on Tuesday and Wednesday and then I’m on call every night, Saturday and Sunday. The on call usually amounts to about 16 hours a week and the two days working are 12 hours, so I’m working 28 hours a week and getting paid full time and never leave the house. I think it’s my dream job.

I cleaned out my desk this morning and it was a mixture of emotions as I sifted through the past. There were awards for employee of the month. There was a Beaver Lion award for my personality. There was even an award for not listening. Then there were all the notes we wrote and stuck on each other’s backs that said what we thought about that person. A little tear formed when I saw some of these.

I need to get these framed and hung in my home office so they aren’t forgotten again. Next Tuesday starts a new era. It will almost be like being retired.

I had a surprising experience this morning with Mitchell’s Wool Fat. The last couple of shaves have been with A&E Kaizen based soaps. I have remarked how I liked them better than the Fat, except for the price. I guess The Fat overheard me. This morning I started with my usual damp brush, but this time on a dry puck. I loaded for one minute and I was prepared for a struggle. Without adding any water, the soap bloomed into a mountain of yogurty lather in my bowl. It went on thick, almost as if it came from a can of Gillette Foamy, and it was the slickest I’ve ever seen it.

It was almost as if she was showing off what she could do.

Last night was my first shave since Tuesday. Yes, becoming semi retired has brought out the hermit in me. I finally was driven to shave because my CPAP mask couldn’t get a good seal and it was having a detrimental impact on my sleep.

I lathered up my Mitchell’s the same way I did on Tuesday and I got the same results.

The damp, almost dry brush on a dry puck, loaded for one minute then worked in my scuttle with just the residual water from heating up in the sink and four or five drops of glycerin and the lather exploded into a dense foam that rivaled Gillette Foamy.

The lather went on my face thick and when I drug the razor across it, I had to double check to make sure that there really was a blade in the razor. There was zero blade feel, and there were almost no whiskers left behind. If I had kept my journal up, I could be sure, but I think this was shave three on the Feather blade. It certainly was no more than shave two.

Two passes and my face still had not felt the blade. I had a slight stubble in my “problem " area on my right jaw line, but experience told me that 30 minutes later I wouldn’t feel it. So, I let it be and stopped at two passes.

This was by far the most enjoyable shave of my lifetime. If every shave could be like this, I would shave every hour of every day.

As quickly as she gave the great shaves, she took them away. Today I lathered up the same way as my previous two shaves, and today while the lather looked fine, the shave was horrendous. I hacked up my neck in multiple places on the very first pass. Being the wise man that I am, I didn't quit there. I had to come back for a second pass. Fortunately, the second pass didn't cause any more damage; the first pass was bad enough. Criminy, will I ever figure this wet shaving thing out. Just when you think you've got it down, it throws you a curveball.

Top Bottom