What's new

Texas Senate (finally) Passes Constitutional Carry

The Texas senate has passed HB1927, which removes the requirement of a government-issued licence to legally carry a firearm in the state. The senate version of the bill includes several amendments, including one to increase minimum penalties for prohibited possessors in possession of firearms.
The bill now returns to the house, where the amendments are expected to be approved.
The governor is expected to sign the bill in its final form.

Last edited:
The Texas senate has passed HB1927, which removes the requirement of a government-issued licence to legally carry a firearm in the state. The senate version of the bill includes several amendments, including one to increase minimum penalties for prohibited possessors in possession of firearms.
The bill now returns to the house, where the amendments are expected to be approved.
The governor is expected to sign the bill in its final form.
I am as a Texas resident glad to see it. My wife does not want to go to classes,or have to shoot a round for qualification as she has somewhat bad arthritis. I would like for her to be able to have a small revolver in her purse and be legal.

I think it’s the right move. However I wish there was a class requirement. You have to know the relevant laws, esp. about bars, schools, churches and posted establishments.

While not mandatory, I believe the DPS will be making a free class available on-line which will cover all the required topics (law, safety, etc.) of an LTC class, with the exception of the shooting qualification.

(Thus, one can save their money to pay for actual self-defense and tactical training.) :thumbup:

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It's gonna be the Wild West...The streets are gonna to be running in blood. There will be shootouts on the town square....

Oh, wait. That's what was said when the licensed carry was passed years ago. Didn't happen.

Never mind.

I've kinda been looking for a K-frame .38 for SWMBO, but they are nowhere to be found. She does well with a revolver...I showed her which end the bullet comes out of.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think it’s the right move. However I wish there was a class requirement. You have to know the relevant laws, esp. about bars, schools, churches and posted establishments.

Most bars, schools and government buildings are already pretty much posted and marked with visible no concealed carry signs. Isn't it legal to carry in church in Texas?

Most bars, schools and government buildings are already pretty much posted and marked with visible no concealed carry signs. Isn't it legal to carry in church in Texas?

Yes, churches are treated as most businesses--
allowed unless posted.
Campus carry was passed last session for state universities.

with leadership foreknowledge and approval, vs a 30.06/30.07 signage as I remember it.

“school property“ (inside buildings, but outside or in parking lots, etc are authorized).

bars with 51% signage (51% or more of all sales derive from alcohol) or 30.06/30.07. Restaurants with bars are ok, or lacking those three too.

hospitals, banks, sports stadiums, courthouses and federal restrictions apply as well.

30.06 is concealed carry prohibited, 30.07 open carry. Sizing of signage is stipulated (51% too).. Any other signage isn’t binding and not punitive, requiring owners to tell carriers to remove weapons from the property.

Carry into a business with a 51%, 30.06, 30.07 and you’re getting hemmed up. Some places have just a 30.07, most every one with a 30.06 has a 30.07 too.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
with leadership foreknowledge and approval, vs a 30.06/30.07 signage as I remember it.

“school property“ (inside buildings, but outside or in parking lots, etc are authorized).

bars with 51% signage (51% or more of all sales derive from alcohol) or 30.06/30.07. Restaurants with bars are ok, or lacking those three too.

hospitals, banks, sports stadiums, courthouses and federal restrictions apply as well.

30.06 is concealed carry prohibited, 30.07 open carry. Sizing of signage is stipulated (51% too).. Any other signage isn’t binding and not punitive, requiring owners to tell carriers to remove weapons from the property.

Carry into a business with a 51%, 30.06, 30.07 and you’re getting hemmed up. Some places have just a 30.07, most every one with a 30.06 has a 30.07 too.

what does the 51% refer too?

I think it was illegal at one time. After the first church shooting nearly 30 years ago I started carrying, not worrying about the law. I also worked in a hospital pharmacy, and often had to go in on call at all hours of the night. I was talking to a young police officer, who later became chief of police, who worked extra as security. One night I was talking to him in the ER and said that when I came in I was armed and he said good idea. This was before concealed carry was legal, and still had "unofficial" approval. My comment was if stopped in a traffic stop, I was simply going to be courteous and not give a reason to have car or myself searched. Never go to a bar so no problem there.

Nowdays the only place I go where I do not carry is the post office, and doctors office which is in hospital clinic. If carry is posted prohibited, I do not go.

Top Bottom