What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
3610DF75-47DC-48A6-BC74-3BB752E5FEFC.jpeg

I make what I call "chile con frijoles y carne". It has beans and ground beef, and no ones says its not real chili. :) I list it in that order because I think the beans are what makes chile con frijoles y carne. :)

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I make what I call "chile con frijoles y carne". It has beans and ground beef, and no ones says its not real chili. :) I list it in that order because I think the beans are what makes chile con frijoles y carne. :)

Are you trying to get banned?? :)

A Texas red chili thread is no place for that kind of talk!

I forget, is it canned beans or dried beans in Texas Chili?

( just messing with you guys ( grew up in TX ), somewhat randomly we get Shiner up here (Pa) these days!)

regards
avi

chili 9-29.jpg

Here's a batch that may send some of you "sensitive types" over the edge! 😄
- ground chicken instead of beef
- chorizo turkey sausage instead of pork sausage
- beans! black and pinto

This turned out to be an excellent batch, one I'll definitely want to recreate again! I once tried an all-ground turkey batch (no sausage) and it was really disappointing. A great chili needs a good mouth feel as well as great flavor and the turkey meat was just mushy. There was little to no chew-down resistance or substance to it. I'd never thought of ground chicken before until my daughter served me a chicken meat lasagna. (she doesn't eat beef) The chicken's mouth feel was very much like beef so I thought I'd give it a try and it worked out great! It takes considerably more work to break it down on the stove top when "browning" compared to ground beef but I think it's well worth it for a nice alternative to red meat. You really can't tell the difference in taste in the end product. I didn't eat the chili the same day it was prepared so everything had 24 hours to marinate together before it was reheated and served. It was so good I had 3 bowls!

Last edited:
View attachment 1162304

- beans! black and pinto

This turned out to be an excellent batch, one I'll definitely want to recreate again! I once tried an all-ground turkey batch (no sausage) and it was really disappointing. A great chili needs a good mouth feel as well as great flavor and the turkey meat was just mushy. There was little to no chew-down resistance or substance to it. I'd never thought of ground chicken before until my daughter served me a chicken meat lasagna. (she doesn't eat beef) The chicken's mouth feel was very much like beef so I thought I'd give it a try and it worked out great! It takes considerably more work to break it down on the stove top when "browning" compared to ground beef but I think it's well worth it for a nice alternative to red meat. You really can't tell the difference in taste in the end product. I didn't eat the chili the same day it was prepared so everything had 24 hours to marinate together before it was reheated and served. It was so good I had 3 bowls!
You one upped my "chile con frijoles y carne"! Ground, Beans, and not Beef! I would definitely try it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
View attachment 1162304

- beans! black and pinto

We will need to set up new thread for you bean soup guys...lol.

Your dirt-poor ancestors are bumping along the trail to Texas in their wagon. In the wagon are several hungry children, a barrel of water. Hanging up back is a big cluster of dried chilis. Over in the corner is a big sack of dried beans, some flour & maybe some masa. The trail is well-travelled. Any rabbits or small game are long-gone.
Nowhere was there a bag of tomatoes, onions or beef.
Genuine chili was made with beans, chilis and water. Beef only chili recipes came along during cattle drives and established, wealthy settlers. The dirt-poor established the REAL chili recipe. The Rich embellished it with the beef-only fallacy.

Top Bottom