What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Camping this weekend at S. Myrtle Beach in S. Carolina with 37° and gale force winds. Perfect weather for a Texas Red 3-egg omelette with Queso Anejo.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Something's up.
20191117_155445.jpg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've yet to try the avocados with my Texas Red but it looks great and I'm sure those flavors work together.

Maybe this week... I have some time off and some avocados.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've yet to try the avocados with my Texas Red but it looks great and I'm sure those flavors work together.

Maybe this week... I have some time off and some avocados.
Uh oh...time means a good Texas Red. It could be so good that you'll have cancel Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Question: how does adding beans to chili con carne add flavor? It doesn't...maybe some texture. But why would you want bean texture in a beef (steak) recipe? To each his/her own.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nice!

I wonder if beans being included in chili is due to the price difference between beef and beans. I mean, adding beans certainly will stretch that authentic beef "red" a ways, on the cheap. No idea, just spit balling...
Having grandparents who grew up during the Depression, beef was a luxury that couldn’t be afforded often. Some people want to cut back meat consumption, too (lord knows I need to do that)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice!

I wonder if beans being included in chili is due to the price difference between beef and beans. I mean, adding beans certainly will stretch that authentic beef "red" a ways, on the cheap. No idea, just spit balling...
BT I see what you're saying. The cattle drive certainly had plenty of beef to chose from, peppers were there on the Chisolm trial along with beans. But from what I've read women from San Antonio created Texas Red. Beef, broth, Chilies and love.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1574794603675.png

When I was a boy, my mum would make chili for dinner every once in a while. It looked kind of like this. There were plenty of tomato chunks and beans and green bell peppers and mushrooms. And some ground beef. And some chili powder and maybe a few pepper flakes. It was good. We never called it "Texas Red" ... just called it "dinner".

Back then, had someone served us this ...

1574794747298.png

... or this ...

1574794814502.png

... and told us it was "chili" we would have questioned their sanity. But we're not from Texas.

1574794935272.png

I'm hoping one day to visit Texas and have some real Texas Red; I'm sure it will be tasty. Until then, I'll have to make do with the tasty versions I get served here, up in the land that invented pineapple on pizza.

(That's tasty, too.)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Went to my local diner, and noticed they had chili on the menu. It was pretty good, and a fairly large bowl for $6. Yeah, it was hamburger instead of a roast (which I normally do), but the chili was made well. I immediately wanted a nap :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Went to my local diner, and noticed they had chili on the menu. It was pretty good, and a fairly large bowl for $6. Yeah, it was hamburger instead of a roast (which I normally do), but the chili was made well. I immediately wanted a nap :)
Columbo loved chili.

Top Bottom