What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Anchos are what I use. I use a can of cheap beer as part of my liquid and I think that might help bring out more of the red.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I’ll try that.
Guajillo peppers also have deep blood color. I used them as well in my last batch.

large_square_Guajillo_Chile_Peppers__Whole__close.jpg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Anchos and guajillos combine for a good flavor. I use both and that may also be where the red comes from. Not certain.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Anchos and guajillos combine for a good flavor. I use both and that may also be where the red comes from. Not certain.
Any of the dried peppers can produce the red color and I most definitely think that's where Red got its name. I find by adding a few more peppers produces a deeper darker red color. Not using enough may be the reason its not darker. This last batch I think I used about 12-14 of mixed peppers.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Made a batch of TX Red.

This time I used beef short ribs (about 5 lbs) and slow cooked at 300° for about three hours. 6 Pasilla and 6 Ancho peppers made up the chili paste with the addition of 4 whole Serrano peppers from last years garden. Otherwise, I stuck to the original posted recipe.

Beef browned and chili paste made...
fullsizeoutput_23b.jpeg

Finished product, enjoyed for lunch today. The creamy avocado and sweet acid of the lime compliment this dish well.
fullsizeoutput_23c.jpeg

I really like the short ribs in this recipe, makes a very rich decadent chili. Not to mention no meat chopping. Shredding fall off the bone meat takes just a few minutes.

Winner winner chili dinner! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Made a batch of TX Red.

This time I used beef short ribs (about 5 lbs) and slow cooked at 300° for about three hours. 6 Pasilla and 6 Ancho peppers made up the chili paste with the addition of 4 whole Serrano peppers from last years garden. Otherwise, I stuck to the original posted recipe.

Beef browned and chili paste made...
View attachment 976030

Finished product, enjoyed for lunch today. The creamy avocado and sweet acid of the lime compliment this dish well.
View attachment 976031

I really like the short ribs in this recipe, makes a very rich decadent chili. Not to mention no meat chopping. Shredding fall off the bone meat takes just a few minutes.

Winner winner chili dinner! :thumbsup:
That's a great looking bowl.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Hmmmm, I do have some leftover brisket, anchos and some guajillos...

Maybe once it cools off a little here.

Top Bottom