What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
proxy.php

Puya, Cascabel, California, Pasilla, and Ancho.
So its started. Good luck and no beans about it or in it.

How many ounces of dried chiles do people here typically use in their chili? I've done 3 - 6 oz. but have been doing about 4.5 oz. lately.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
How many ounces of dried chiles do people here typically use in their chili? I've done 3 - 6 oz. but have been doing about 4.5 oz. lately.
Good question. I normally count out about 8 - 12 chilies versus ounces. Sometimes more. Sometimes a lot more.

I go heavy on the chilies. I had 2 nachos, 1 pasilla, 4 cascabel (slightly larger than a guajillo), 3 California, and 6 puya. No clue how many ounces that is. Did another twist this time. Didn’t have any beef and didn’t want to deal with the store so Ian using pork loin. I won’t simmer it quite as long because I don’t want the meat to break up.
proxy.php

The dried chiles I use come in 3 oz. bags. I don't want a bunch of odd chiles laying around so I split each bag in half to make things easy. I use 3 different kinds of chiles per batch so 3 bags of chiles will make 2 batches using a total of 4.5 oz. of chiles per batch.

Last edited:
Pork loin Texas red chili? I'm in. A great job and the color is true to the recipe. Impressive...lime included.

It was interesting. Missing some fat so the mouth feel wasn’t the same. The meat was very tender. I kinda missed the little bit of chew that the flank or chuck provides. The lime is required!

I made a new batch today with 3 oz. of New Mexico and 1.5 oz. of Pasilla chiles. This combination makes a nice red-colored chili. My last batch was made with ancho and mulato chiles which was all that was available at the time at the two different stores that I buy chiles. That resulted in a much more dark/brown chili which I found kind of disappointing. I think I prefer a chili that is on the fresher/sweeter end of the chili scale. My wife and daughter were also kind of disappointed with the last batch so I'm looking forward to see how this one turns out.

This leads me to another big question. Does anyone here ever have a final recipe for chili or are they constantly tweaking it? I've been making my chili for years but it seems like I'm constantly tweaking it

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I made a new batch today with 3 oz. of New Mexico and 1.5 oz. of Pasilla chiles. This combination makes a nice red-colored chili. My last batch was made with ancho and mulato chiles which was all that was available at the time at the two different stores that I buy chiles. That resulted in a much more dark/brown chili which I found kind of disappointing. I think I prefer a chili that is on the fresher/sweeter end of the chili scale. My wife and daughter were also kind of disappointed with the last batch so I'm looking forward to see how this one turns out.

This leads me to another big question. Does anyone here ever have a final recipe for chili or are they constantly tweaking it? I've been making my chili for years but it seems like I'm constantly tweaking it

I tweak mine for the group that is eating it. Some like it hot, some like it fresh. Some like ground beef and some like chunks. Some like tomatoes and some like beans. I seldom make it exactly the same way twice in a row.

I tweak mine for the group that is eating it. Some like it hot, some like it fresh. Some like ground beef and some like chunks. Some like tomatoes and some like beans. I seldom make it exactly the same way twice in a row.

I'm the same way, I seldom make it the same way twice in a row. My daughter hit on one incarnation saying that it was perfect for her but sadly I couldn't remember what I did for that batch. Everything I've been making is close to the batch prior but I still haven't landed on that "final" recipe.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Swmbo doesn't like the quartered meat. She prefers ground beef...so next time i'll make it with rattle snake.:001_tt1:

Let's get serious now, we're talkin' about Texas Red for cry out loud. I tweak mine all the time but I stick pretty close to the base recipe. I like to roast my garlic in the oven and will use a whole head of garlic...it's very mild when roasted.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Swmbo doesn't like the quartered meat. She prefers ground beef...so next time i'll make it with rattle snake.:001_tt1:

Let's get serious now, we're talkin' about Texas Red for cry out loud. I tweak mine all the time but I stick pretty close to the base recipe. I like to roast my garlic in the oven and will use a whole head of garlic...it's very mild when roasted.
I think that I will roast garlic the next time I make it. I was watching Lidia’s Kitchen and didn’t realize how easy it was. Cut off the top, drizzle with olive oil, roast, and squeeze out the cloves.

This one is from the TMI files: I took care of my bathroom business this morning and was concerned when I saw that the water and its contents had a reddish tint to it and then I remembered that I had 2 big bowls of chili yesterday!

In this batch I used 3 oz. of New Mexico chilis and 1-1/2 oz. of Pasilla. Maybe I'm using too many but the batch tasted great! The 1-1/2 oz. of Pasilla was either 3 or 4 chilis and the 3 oz. of New Mexico was probably around a dozen chilis of sizes ranging from small to medium. Am I overdoing it? (Besides the TMI? :001_302:)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Onions and garlic processed, chili (ancho) made and strained. Now to brown four pounds of ground beef, then into the crock pot. I’m making chili for our second and third shift Christmas party tomorrow. I can’t stand most of the guys on thirds, but if I skip two years in a row my boss will ask what the problem is.

367055E6-50AF-4B54-B482-A29FE65A902C.jpeg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Onions and garlic processed, chili (ancho) made and strained. Now to brown four pounds of ground beef, then into the crock pot. I’m making chili for our second and third shift Christmas party tomorrow. I can’t stand most of the guys on thirds, but if I skip two years in a row my boss will ask what the problem is.

View attachment 936144

Mate, you'll make friends with the third shift guys taking some red along.
Leave a bowl worth a home for after the Christmas party.

Top Bottom