What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yours always looks a little redder than mine.
Do mean darker red? I think all of what I've seen on our chili pictures over the course of this thread is that medium red to darker red depending on the chili used or more generally the color of the pepper.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Do mean darker red? I think all of what I've seen on our chili pictures over the course of this thread is that medium red to darker red depending on the chili used or more generally the color of the pepper.
A little darker, yet more vivid, if that makes sense. The last two batches I made were guajillo and pasilla (roughly 2 parts g to 1 part p).

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
A little darker, yet more vivid, if that makes sense. The last two batches I made were guajillo and pasilla (roughly 2 parts g to 1 part p).
The guajillo and pasilla are a medium to lighter red. The ancho is a deep red. Each have a different flavor. The ancho is a strongr flavor where the guajillo is more sweet or delicate. It's all good no matter your choice.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The guajillo and pasilla are a medium to lighter red. The ancho is a deep red. Each have a different flavor. The ancho is a strongr flavor where the guajillo is more sweet or delicate. It's all good no matter your choice.
My first batch I ever made was all ancho- I need to go back to it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My first batch I ever made was all ancho- I need to go back to it.

I pretty much use a whole boat load of ancho and a handful of guajillo. I've been mulling over adding a fair portion of dried New Mexico chilis, but the ancho always will be the star of the show.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I pretty much use a whole boat load of ancho and a handful of guajillo. I've been mulling over adding a fair portion of dried New Mexico chilis, but the ancho always will be the star of the show.
Now that I think about it, when I went to purchase the dried chilies I noticed it marked "New Mexico" chilies on the bin label. So, I guess my last batch was a mixture of ancho, guajillo and a dried hatch.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
When I do that, I put the cheese inside and the chili on top. It gets too messy in the skillet, otherwise.

That sounds REALLY good. Doin' it!

The red omelette is speaking to me for tomorrow morning.

Did it. Cheese omelette (Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Asadero) covered with the last of my leftover 'red'. Excellent, thanks for the idea.

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 12.35.10 PM.png

Top Bottom