What's new

Testing time!

It appears that I'm the first lucky B&Ber to receive my samples from Krissy. I've run three test lathers, using my hands, not the face, on one of the samples and have noticed a couple of things. This sample does seem to be very sensitive to water, as Krissy warned. My first test almost instantly had too much water. I got a very thin lather that would disappear with the slightest touch. I spent more time on the sample puck for the second test, and the results were better. For the third test, I skipped the bowl and did a "face lather" technique. That gave the best results yet. In the second and third tests, the lather seemed a bit "sticky" feeling. When I added small amounts of water, it eventually went straight from a nice lather to too much water, skipping the "oh, better stop adding water" phase that most soaps give me. The sticky feel never went away. On all three tests, after rinsing my hand I felt like there was some sort of residue left on the skin. It did go away pretty fast after drying and my skin felt like I had applied a light moisturizer. I'm going to run a few more test lathers to make sure I'm getting consistent results before moving to a full shave test. I'm not sure how the sticky feel is going to affect the shave. One thing I think I'll have to keep in mind is that due to the size of the samples, it's going to take a while longer to load my brush with the proper amount of soap. I think that's why my first test went to too much waster so fast.
Once a few more guys have samples in hand, I'll reveal the sample I started with, just to get things started on a level field. Oh ya, I did give about 8 to 10 hours between tests to allow the soap and brush time to dry and my skin to be at a "baseline" level.
EDIT: I'm planning to stick to one sample until I feel like I've learned all I can from it before moving on to the next sample. All three tests were on the same sample.

Last edited:
Interesting. My samples arrived yesterday so I plan to start testing tomorrow.

Alright! I'm interested to see what we all find out. What do you think about my thought that due to the size of the samples they will need a little more brush time? Does that make sense to you?

Last edited:
I'm glad the samples are starting to arrive and I'll be watching closely even if I don't always comment.

Good Luck Gentlemen and THANK YOU !!!!

My samples arrived as well. My first shave will be tomorrow and I'll post results on the blog.

Thanks Krissy!

Yep, I'll definitely be posting on the blog as well. I want to get a better hold on each soap before I post results there, more of a final find.

I got mine, too, and have already tried two of them. My plan had been to use each sample at least three times before making any comment, but I already posted a comment on sample number one.

I had a nice shave with one of the samples this morning. It took some doing to get it to lather up, but once it did it was a nice cushion. The strange thing about this sample is that my boar brush just positively HOGGED it, and it doesn't usually do that. When I tried to apply more to my face, it was just take off what was already there. Strange.

I agree that both soaps so far seem to leave a residue, but I think that's a good thing; it seems to me that the "residue" is really the moisturizing oils in the soap hydrating the skin.

Much more testing to come.

My samples arrived and I got my first shave in with them tonight. Are we posting the reviews on B&B as well or just the blog?

I was hoping to hear a little about what others thought, but I don't know if full on reviews are within the rules. Krissy came to the forum for some opinions, it seems there could be more productive conversation here as well as on the blog. Any mods want to chime in if this is a no-no?:smile:

I was hoping to hear a little about what others thought, but I don't know if full on reviews are within the rules. Krissy came to the forum for some opinions, it seems there could be more productive conversation here as well as on the blog. Any mods want to chime in if this is a no-no?:smile:

We did full reviews for Old Post Road #4 without issue. I'm sure once we all have our soap and have had the time to do proper reviews the posts will start rolling in.

My samples arrived and I got my first shave in with them tonight. Are we posting the reviews on B&B as well or just the blog?

On the blog for sure but if you want to update here that is fine as well, unless a mod speaks up to say they would rather you didn't.

We did full reviews for Old Post Road #4 without issue. I'm sure once we all have our soap and have had the time to do proper reviews the posts will start rolling in.

Perhaps once the good is singled out from the bad that might be a good place to post. Since I know the first two won't measure up to the last ones done for sure. And then I have a gut feeling..... (I hope or it's back to the drawing board) which one might do better.

I did update the blog with some helpful hints about the soap in general as well as which ones I'm looking at and that type of thing.

Thanks everyone for being willing to do this. But I'm learning more about what properties to look for as I travel down this road and how to match those qualities with a soap. And for those who say just add some clay to your favorite CP soap recipe really don't have a clue about what qualities need to be in a shaving soap.

I got my samples yesterday. To make their use a little easier/more realistic I milled each of the samples into identical Rubbermaid containers roughly the size of a standard Old Spice Mug. I hate trying to lather up a small sample as I push it around my mug or bowl. I used sheers to cut each sample into small thin shreds and then packed them tightly in the bottom of the container similar to a full size puck of soap. An unexpected result of this was my ability to identify which are Tallow based. The Tallow based samples were much smoother/creamier and seemed to pack into the new containers much easier. However, I won't let this knowledge skew my testing and will formulate my opinions of each as an individual product.

To give each a fair shake I've decided on these standards for the test. First, I'll be using a NEW/Bull Mastiff for every shave with each sample. I’ll also be using Feather blades exclusively. To keep it fair I'm going to drop in a new Feather each time I switch soaps. I'll use each soap sample for three consecutive days with its original Feather blade. As for brushes I'll be using the 2008 B&B LE for day one, my Shavemac 585 Silvertip for day two and my C&E BBB for day three. I figure this will give me a variety of brush types, lofts and costs for comparison by other members as well as ensure the variable are limited and equal for each soap sample.

Each day I'll post my review of the shave and after I complete all three consecutive shaves I'll post a full combined review of the specific soap sample.

In the interest of keeping it simple and familiar I am going to rate each soap like we do in the B&B review section and at the end of each day I'll grade my shave A-F (No E, like school) and give a descriptor of the shave (BBS, DFS, Painful etc.)

Last edited:
Color:Light Green
Scent: Cool Spring

#1 doesn't appear to be a winner.

I do find the scent pleasing and it could be a hit (scent only) for summer shaves.

The actual efficacy of this formulation is questionable at best. No matter what I did I couldn't get a respectable lather out of this soap. It was very thin and seemed to nearly vanish upon application.

That said, it was slick and in the end I did get a DFS (referring to smoothness only) shave out of it. However, I had a few weepers on my neck which I normally don't get but overall the end result was decent.

If the second and third shaves are similar experiences I doubt that I'd pay for this formulation. I will use this for two more shaves and post my comments as I do before I make my final decision about this variation.

Overall I liken shaving with #1 to shaving with any ordinary bath/hand soap. It offered little to no cushion/buffer from the blade though it was slick.

I see day one results of test soap #1 like this:

Price N/A
Quality 3
Scent 8
Lather 0
Efficacy 3
Moisturizing 5
Overall 26%

Based on the overall percentage I have to give day 1 an F.

Last edited:

#1 is definitely not a winner. Fortunately Krissy was already aware of this before testing so I hope she doesn't see my reviews of it as harsh.

I liked the scent even more today after it's third lathering (first was a test lather + two shaves).

The efficacy of this formulation is simply not there. This particular formulation is extremely difficult to lather. I did get a better initial lather on day two but it fell flat within moments of applying the lather to my face. It was very thin after it was applied and offered no cushion.

I had even more weepers on my neck and added a few to my cheeks on the second attempt. Because it is clearly roughing up my skin I've decided that sample #1 won't get a third attempt.

I see day two results of test soap #1 like this:

Price N/A
Quality 2
Scent 9
Lather 0
Efficacy 3
Moisturizing 5
Overall 38%

Based on the overall percentage I have to give day 2 an F.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

#1 is a no go. It was a slick soap but it was very difficult to lather. In addition to being hard to lather once you did achieve what ever level of lather you could it disappeared and fell flat almost instantly. It offered no cushion and in consecutive days use it left my skin wanting something fierce. My skin was far more raw than those rare occasions where I've had to shave two or three times in a single day.

On a positive note, I liked the scent very much. It would make a fantastic spring/summer scent if it can be combined with a more effective formulation.

My initial plan was to use each test soap for three days but #1 simply didn't offer the protection necessary to test any further. I've retired #1 and won't use it again.

I rarely see blood of any type when I shave but in the last two days I've had more weepers than in the last six months. The lack of lather/cushion is definitely the culprit.

I will say that there was something in this soap that agreed with my skin. It wasn't drying at all. It would likely make a good hand soap or even face soap, but it's just not there as a shave soap.

I see the overall results of test soap #1 like this:

Price N/A
Quality 2.5
Scent 8.5
Lather 0
Efficacy 3
Moisturizing 5
Overall 38% (Please not the percentage for Day One was off and I couldn't edit/correct).

The overall percentage for this sample averages out to 38%. This soap gets an F from me.

Nothing personal Krissy, I think you knew this was coming with this formula. I look forward to better shaves. Just from look/feel I think #7 has promise.

Last edited:
I will say that there was something in this soap that agreed with my skin. It wasn't drying at all. It would likely make a good hand soap or even face soap, but it's just not there as a shave soap.

Completely agree. In fact, I am now using this as a hand soap. It's a great hand soap. Leaves my hands feeling soft and moisturized, and makes them smell good, too.

LOL i knew the 1st and 2nd weren't going to make the cut, but glad that it makes a great hand soap!!! So I'm not offended at all by your honest remarks. I fully expected them.

I've made 3 other recipes that I'm testing myself, AND today I'm going to make two more today just to see how they turn out. These other two that I am going to make today are going to be completely different than the two others I've made. So it could get interesting around here........

Concur with Slag...couldn't get #1 to lather but that was expected per Krissy's directions. Had two good lathers out of #5 so far...tomorrow is my first shave with it tho as I'm not usually a weekend shaver.

More in depth reviews on the blog (I'm being lazy and dont want to reiterate it here...)

Top Bottom