What's new

Testing the new Parker 87R

This razor has gotten off to a rough start on the shaving boards. Parker isn't known for stellar quality control. A lot of people had big defects which was disappointing. I read some new reviews that were positive. The 87R excited me because it looks similar to an Aristocrat. So I crossed my fingers and bought one from Maggards.

I got a smooth and close shave with some loud audio feedback. The first pass was tough cutting the hairs. But the rest went smoothly with less irritation with 3 passes and touchups. I think the low blade gap and blade exposure helps this.

The razor is very shiny and balanced. It's heavier than the Maggards stainless handle, but feels slightly lighter. I did see a little pitting on the neck and bottom of the handle. The bottom of the TTO mechanism is bent a little, but the safety bar is straight. The GSB blade sits right. Overall I'm happy with my new haul.

$20160514_234118.jpg

How is the TTO mechanism? Is there a chance for the knob to turn while shaving, or is it secured, like in the vintage gillettes?

I loved the looks of the razor but It just did not give me a good shave. I hope yours works out for you.

Yeah, it looks really nice. How was the shaving angle, similar to most razors?

I ask because I have a TTO Parker 99t but I found the angle was difficult to dial in when compared to my other razors. Granted I haven't spent alot of shaves with it. Curious what your experience was with the 87.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah, it looks really nice. How was the shaving angle, similar to most razors?

I ask because I have a TTO Parker 99t but I found the angle was difficult to dial in when compared to my other razors. Granted I haven't spent alot of shaves with it. Curious what your experience was with the 87.
Sent using Tapatalk

I found that I didn't have to make any major adjustments to my blade angle from my experience with the Maggard OC v.2 which I would put in the same grouping. I just pointed the razor handle the same direction as my nose and turned the handle down slightly and that was it. For contrast, the Merkur 33C/34HD is closer to how I'd hold my Schick Hydro 3 cartridge razor.

On a related note, the bigger TTO head shape didn't interfere with shaving under the nose. It looks based off the Gillette Slim head.

I was looking for a closed comb and this took my eye. Due to the stories of poor QC I went with the fatip gentile. Just getting back into DE after several months the away due to a skin infection.

I was looking for a closed comb and this took my eye. Due to the stories of poor QC I went with the fatip gentile. Just getting back into DE after several months the away due to a skin infection.

How's the fatip?

The QC issues appear less common with Parker razors now. As pointed out, I have the 99r. Struggle with dialing in the angle a bit with it, but otherwise it's a good razor. Finish isn't as good as muhle or Edwin but decent. No QC/mechanical issues with mine. Great value for price.

Second shave update. I adjusted my shaving angle pointing the handle lower more like my 33C and got a smooth shave for all 3 passes. Also the TTO mechanism did not loosen. The 87R's still irritation free. But it may take extra work to shave as close as my other razors.

How's the fatip?

Just to let you know. It arrived and I tried it out yesterday. Very smooth indeed. Like its bruiser brother the OC, you need little if any pressure for a DFS. The QC is very good. No alignment probs or plating probs.

I have the 87R and don't like it. I think there is something wrong with the way the head is cut out at the factory, as I got a replacement and it was off to the same degree as the first one. What I mean is, when I look at it from a birds eye view with a blade loaded, one side of the blade protrudes normally but the other side is uneven blade exposure, with too much blade at one end and the other end slanted so that there is too little blade exposure. Looking at it from the side, the safety bars appear straight. Does anyone else notice this? When I shave with it, I get weepers because of the uneven blade exposure on the one end. I stopped using it, and my '55 Red Tip blows it away in symmetry of the blade alignment and performance.

I have no experience with Parker razors, but some of the feedback I've seen on the 87R has put me off. I might look at some of their other models.

I ordered an 87R a couple months ago and there are no major issues apparent. Some play in the way the blade sits, but not too bad and I can get it straight enough. Gentle shaver, slightly heavier than but comparable to an Aristocrat.
Tried it again this morning on a 3-day beard with a Warner-Lambert Schick (shave #4) and got a very nice shave.

It's a shame you have to pray and hope for the best. I like how I can do touch-ups with less fear of irritation. I'd have to attack my face hard to do it. A very forgiving razor.

Top Bottom