What's new

Testing the Feather Blade.... Shibey!

Testing the Feather blade and wow, it's all that.

I've read the hype but to finally get to test one is very impressive. Just the first few inches I could tell this was no Merkur or Personna blade. The Feather is quieter, if that makes sense. It felt like it was not bothered by the whiskers as much. It stayed down against the skin more just cutting hairs.

I'll be curious to see how the rest of my shaves go with the Feather, but day one was very convincing. Truly a superior bit of workmanship.

jduffy said:

I've read the hype but to finally get to test one is very impressive. Just the first few inches I could tell this was no Merkur or Personna blade. The Feather is quieter, if that makes sense. It felt like it was not bothered by the whiskers as much. It stayed down against the skin more just cutting hairs.

I'll be curious to see how the rest of my shaves go with the Feather, but day one was very convincing. Truly a superior bit of workmanship.

Hrm... I tried one this weekend for the first time as well, and it didn't seem to do anything more than a Derby for me :frown: with slightly more irritation in the upper-neck/lower-jaw area.

J

The Feather is also not for me, too much irritations and everytime when I've used it, my face looked like a baboon's butt:cursing:
I hate that really, the best results, I have with MERKUR, SHARP, DERBY's and PERSONNA's...

Thomas

jduffy said:

Well, I think I may have ot re-visit the feather blades to see what I'm missing. When I finally tried the Derby baldes, I was hooked. Then when I tried the Feather, it was so sharp it was irritating, and gave me a few weepers to boot.

But so many people think these things rock, so I'm polacing my order for a new 10-pack of feathers to try.

I'll keep you posted. In the meantime I still have 85 Derby Blades and my 100 Israeli blades should show up this week - SWMBO is going to think I've lost it. Oh well.

Peace,

Pierre

I've worked through Letterk's pack, trying several blades of each kind, and I've found the Swedish Gillettes to be the best for me with the Feathers in a very close second, nearly a tie. I thought the Swedes were the perfect balance but they're expensive compared to the Feathers, so I just ordered 100 Feathers from Cotton Blossom Crafts. I tried several Derby blades and could not get a good shave from them, the first pass on a new blade was nearly painful. The feathers were the only ones to draw blood.

I ranked them as such:

Swedish Gillettes
Feathers
Isreali Personnas
Merkur
Derby

As in all things, YMMV. :biggrin:

vox_rox said:
Well, I think I may have ot re-visit the feather blades to see what I'm missing. When I finally tried the Derby baldes, I was hooked. Then when I tried the Feather, it was so sharp it was irritating, and gave me a few weepers to boot.

But so many people think these things rock, so I'm polacing my order for a new 10-pack of feathers to try.
I too worked my way through John's variety pack. The most surprising thing I learned is that blades feel and shave differently in different razors. This may seem obvious, but I put a Feather in my 1940s SS and my face is all nicked to hell. Ah, these blades are crap, no? Well, no, they aren't. Feathers shave like heaven in my Tech or Fat Boy, not so good in my HD. I am using the Tech/Feather combo for my last couple shaves and the Feather is completely harmless in this razor and throws out just outstanding shaves (well, except for my Tabac shave this morning, but I blame that on the soap and me being rushed). I found the Derbys and Israelis to shave well no matter the razor, so I bought 100 Derbys, but I will probably buy some bulk Feathers soon (and maybe a slant....).

Dennis

Mike02 said:
I too worked my way through John's variety pack. The most surprising thing I learned is that blades feel and shave differently in different razors. This may seem obvious, but I put a Feather in my 1940s SS and my face is all nicked to hell. Ah, these blades are crap, no? Well, no, they aren't. Feathers shave like heaven in my Tech or Fat Boy, not so good in my HD. I am using the Tech/Feather combo for my last couple shaves and the Feather is completely harmless in this razor and throws out just outstanding shaves (well, except for my Tabac shave this morning, but I blame that on the soap and me being rushed). I found the Derbys and Israelis to shave well no matter the razor, so I bought 100 Derbys, but I will probably buy some bulk Feathers soon (and maybe a slant....).

Dennis

That could be the culprit, I was using them with a 40's SS.

J

the feathers give me great shaves (i use a HD) i do find that i have to pay more attention to what i am doing though. the swedes are the best blades by far for me they shave as good as the feather but very easy on the face. still i think feathers will be my go to blade because they are much cheaper than swedes. israeli are my least favorite as they pulled my beard so bad i wanted to quit after just one cheek (felt like a M3) derbys were similar. mekur are ok but as long as i have a swede or feather i wont use them.

matthew

I think the Feather blades do the best job, but I also think you need to pay close attention to blade angle and use good technique. Things you might be able to get away with using a duller blade will produce a nick with a Feather. Keep that blade angle right! And light pressure. And good prep. Etc.

Top Bottom