What's new

Testing out Five Gold Dollar 66's purchased for <$5/each

So I wanted to try a gold dollar again after many years (tried a 66, 208, and 80 many years back and I believe I've only kept the 80).

Looking at prices, best deal to my eyes (if you don't plan to start selling them) was aliexpress where you could get them in quantities of 5 for ~20-25$ shipped. So I snagged five of the 66's to see if they've improved as much as I'd heard.

First things to report.

I remember my first gold dollars (8+ yrs back) having VERY flimsy scales. They were thin, weak plastic. I could open the razor, hold it by the toe end of the scales and the weight of the razor actually BENT the scales over at the middle. This was my major complaint about them. The scales were useless.

These appear to have been upgraded significantly. Plastic is much sturdier, has a middle joint (a faux "third pin"), and while I'd still consider them a bit too fat in the hand (not too much of a problem in the shave, but can make stropping feel a bit awkward)... they're definitely improved.

My package was a loose bag with the five boxed razors inside. Arrived in less than a month. Boxes were crushed, but these are pretty hearty razors. No 100 yr old ivory to break here... so I doubt I'll see any damage. Razors were heavily oiled and in plastic sleeves within their cardboard boxes.

I opened the first and it was sharp enough to open the other four, also it shaved arm hair acceptably well (seems a fairly decent bevel toe to heel).

This is a MASSIVE upgrade over the past, when they were ground to ~60grit finish on a wheel and not actually beveled at the correct angle. These razors have a tiny bit of spine-wear and clearly were honed PROPERLY and beveled.

This is huge, like RIDICULOUSLY huge. Beveling the Gold dollars was the primary challenge and reason a beginner may not want to start razor honing with a gold dollar despite their price.
Can someone else confirm if this is normal for 66's now or if maybe my vendor did this work?

Have not hit the hones yet to compare if the grinding is improved, and the heel does look a bit over-fat to my eyes at first glance... but already I can tell these are massively more user-friendly to get to shave ready than they were in the past, and I'm very impressed for a $5 razor. It's looking like these can be edged even without significant grinding/geometry fixing... and if that's the case, my hats off to Gold Dollar for fixing the main drawback of these razors.

Scope shot is the edge (as received) at 400x optical magnification. Looks at least 800grit. A Decade ago these were coming @ 60grit off an abrasive WHEEL (not beveled).

Just checked all 5 edges with armhair test.

2x feel actually WELL beveled
1x beveled but a lil laggy in blade middle, probably could go right to a mid-range hone but may need a brief tuneup on a beveler.
2x have dead spots in middle so will need to hit a beveler.

Attachments

• IMG_4878.JPG
    IMG_4878.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 2AA5AB04-E39F-447B-B020-19FC1FA3B93B.jpeg
    2AA5AB04-E39F-447B-B020-19FC1FA3B93B.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 81
  • B429FEE2-A732-4977-8E77-755B0E5D83F9.jpeg
    B429FEE2-A732-4977-8E77-755B0E5D83F9.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 78
  • A94C9B5C-FB03-4B8E-B61F-D8FC4EBB4871.jpeg
    A94C9B5C-FB03-4B8E-B61F-D8FC4EBB4871.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 3CB09DD6-872B-4504-B7AA-2A8C5DC84C21.jpeg
    3CB09DD6-872B-4504-B7AA-2A8C5DC84C21.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Honed one up from 1200 to coti finish. Took about 10min. No real problems... bevel wasn't perfect... definitely would recommend rehitting the bevel on these before honing. This razor had pretty decent geometry, tiny bend at the toe away from the back side of the blade... but easy to compensate for. Pretty easy honing razor in all.

IMG_4882.JPG

It is but they all arrived with it already ground down to some extent.

Started on the second one... it's one of the dead spot ones, and the bevel on this one definitely needs work. Under the scope it looks MUCH more like to 60grit I'm familiar with... looks like they are shaping them a little more, grinding the stabilizer a bit, then trying to throw a bevel on them with a stone, but there's still definitely the chance to get one that they didn't actually get the full bevel on.

Attachments

• C27F8FF9-9C8A-4185-AFDB-B8E2CCF5F26A.jpeg
    C27F8FF9-9C8A-4185-AFDB-B8E2CCF5F26A.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 63

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I bought five to play with back in January for $4.53 a piece.
One is lost somewhere in my shop, but here are the other four still in boxes untouched.
I opened a random one to show you what I received.
Still has the factory oil on it.

View attachment 1160493
View attachment 1160494
View attachment 1160495
It's interesting that the spine wear on your randomly opened GD 66 stops at about 10mm from the stabaliser. Maybe their belt sander is only 2½" wide.

I ordered my GD 66 about 6 months ago. Was hoping to receive it this month but looks like it won't be until October at the earliest.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It's interesting that the spine wear on your randomly opened GD 66 stops at about 10mm from the stabaliser. Maybe their belt sander is only 2½" wide.

I ordered my GD 66 about 6 months ago. Was hoping to receive it this month but looks like it won't be until October at the earliest.
A lot of pros use a 1" x 60" wide belt.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A lot of pros use a 1" x 60" wide belt.
Yes, but I hope they keep the spine wear reasonably even along the full edge length. Makes it much easier for a n00bie to hone. Otherwise it will need to be honed at about a 45° angle to the direction of honing so as to get to the edge heel.

Alright,

Got them all honed.

First one (the video) was probably the best shape to begin with. The last one I did was almost as good, but needed a bit of work on the heel.

#2 as mentioned needed a good bit of work to get the center to contact well, as did #4.

#3 needed the most work... its heel was pretty significantly off the hone.

All five were much better than I remember GD's being, and on average it took maybe 15 minutes to hone each (after the first I started on a DMT-C rather than a DMT-EF).

Five different coticule finishes on them now. Will be a coticule shoot out

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yeah they are still kinda crappy grind, but a lot better than they used to be. Even the 66, yeah, but check out a P81 some time. AKA "1996" which is not the model name at all but it is stamped on the tang with no explanation. It is actually in honor of the year the company was established. The P81 is pretty much hone ready. As in 1k bevel setter ready.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I bought five to play with back in January for $4.53 a piece.
One is lost somewhere in my shop, but here are the other four still in boxes untouched.
I opened a random one to show you what I received.
Still has the factory oil on it.

View attachment 1160493
View attachment 1160494
View attachment 1160495

And yeah. that's pretty normal. The cheesy flimsy blue box is standard treatment for the 66. They are very paranoid about rust so they oil the crap out of them before sliding them in their plastic sleeves. The Gold Monkeys are similarly boxed, but in monkey brown boxes. Upscale models get upscale packaging. Forget about German/English style coffins, though. As for grinding and "sharpening", it's all over the place. Some actually not so bad at all. Many like the above, some few even worse. All of them get a bit of a heel makeover. In the old days the only realistic way to tackle these in a reasonable amount of time was to grind away the entire heel complex and make a thumb notch, mute the heel point a bit, and then set the bevel on 100 grit through 1k or 2k, then progression. A gentle hand was a severe liability. Better to save 10 hours of patient honing and risk destroying a $4 razor than to treat it like a precious treasure. There was more where that one came from!

Yeah the addition of the heel treatment seems to be the most significant change. And they also seem to be at least trying to bevel them all on a flat stone, which I don’t think was getting done at all in the past.

Three of the five the bevel wasn’t fully set across the edge and none of them were perfect... but like you said the additional work they’re doing saves Potentially several hours of work on the buyers end, even if there’s still a little bit left to do.

From a 1mm accurate caliper and my eyesight... 18.5 degrees.

Maybe not ideal for a coticule edge looking at it. Might try a 13k.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have found that most Asian sourced SR's have a bevel angle of about 18°±0.5°. I spoke with the technical manager of Titan about this and he said that this was what the research of their users preferred. I believe that many western SR shavers prefer a more acute angle.

For me, I have tired from about 16° to 19° and tend to agree with the Asian thoughts on this matter. About 18° gives me a great shave and the edge is held well.

Top Bottom