What's new

Testing a Kai blade in my milder razors.

Like mentioned in post #5 you do not get the full .0045 of inch per side because the razor blade is bent in a arc so you will lose some width, the extra width is nothing over the top to worry about IMO. The Kai blade is just a good solid performer and hopefully you enjoy it in your milder razors or just love blade feel like a lot of seasoned shavers do. We had one fellow who wanted the most aggressive DE razor ever made and spent lots of time and $ pursuing that goal.
You don't need to spend a lot of many buying the most aggressive razor in the world. Just remove the base plate from a three piece razor. See this thread.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You don't need to spend a lot of many buying the most aggressive razor in the world. Just remove the base plate from a three piece razor. See this thread.

Not for me shaving like that, just pushing your luck and not much fun at all using a flimsy de blade not clamped properly. Living on the edge of a blade giving it lots of respect knowing it will bite at any time gets me worn out for a shave.
I would just buy a AC shavette with a Kai Protouch blade or Feather Proguard blade. Using a naked blade in a shavette is much a similar experience as on the video (super sharp even compared to a straight razor IMO). When I first ventured into using a shavette, they had sent the wrong blades instead of the guarded blades and it was very challenging and yes a few nicks later I stopped until my Kai Protouch blades arrived and shaving became enjoyable for myself again .
(Guarded blades are so nice because they prevent the blade from digging in and are rigid + gives close shaves is my strong recommendation).
Kai Luffy style folding shavette- Mfg- 2017--.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I've never used Kai blades but I ordered a Fatip razor from Pasteur yesterday and ordered a tuck as well.
I've always been curious because I read about them being wider. Instead of using in anything mild, I actually want to try them in my aggressive razors to see the results. I've only got 2 mild razors left since my preference are the aggressive ones. But those wont get tested with the Kai's!
Have you been able to give the Kai a go in a Fatip? I am curious to know if it will work in say the Gentile (or actually OC because I find that to be smoother).

Thanks,

Guido

Have you been able to give the Kai a go in a Fatip? I am curious to know if it will work in say the Gentile (or actually OC because I find that to be smoother).

Thanks,

Guido
No I haven't. I still have the tuck sitting there and haven't tried them on anything. I've been playing around with my vintage razors this week. But I'll probably try them out in the Gentile since it's the mildest of the Fatip's. I don't think I'd use them on the OC since that one is efficient enough with the blades that I normally use (Gillette Platinums). Good idea!

I bought 100 a couple, three years ago. Good blade but I can never really tell the difference between blades. Mostly, I can tell how long they last. I don't understand face feel where I could verbalize it any better than a cat. Thing is, with my dozen or so different blades, from Derbys and Wilkinsons to various Gillettes to Kais and Feathers, they all shave and do a good job of it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
David @never-stop-learning uses the Kai blades in his mild razors like the Techs. So the idea is his, not mine. I should have included that in my original post.

I have used Kai blades for sometime now in my milder razors because of David’s posts also. :)
Thank you both for your very kind feedback. :)

My latest Kai pairing has been a tremendous success:
20220814_121605~2.jpg

Razor: Tatara Nodachi SB (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai

This combination of razor, blade and handle provided me with a superb Big Dog shave! :cool:

Unfortunately, the only way I know how to better my technique is by shaving.
Sadly, like most things, that's the way we learn - trial and error. My real point is, a guy can learn to shave with any razor and blade combo with practice which is, as you say, how we learn technique.

I had a horrible first Kai shave today.... but it was my fault. I felt like a human sacrifice for a while there, but I'll get better next time.
Just passing along information...

All Gillettes are designed such that you put the safety bar on your face without the blade touching and lift the handle until it just removes lather. The weight of gravity pivots the blade edge away from your skin when the bar is resting on it. Removing lather successfully, at first, is more important than feeling like you are shaving. You might look down as you rinse and discovers dozens of little dark spots in the lather! Point being, if you use this technique, it doesn't matter if the blades is 50% wider than standard because you are lifting until it touches down and no more. There is a certain amount of lift for each razor that should remain the constant as you navigate across an uneven terrain. Lift up, pull down. Like a window squeegee.

Just passing along information...

All Gillettes are designed such that you put the safety bar on your face without the blade touching and lift the handle until it just removes lather. The weight of gravity pivots the blade edge away from your skin when the bar is resting on it. Removing lather successfully, at first, is more important than feeling like you are shaving. You might look down as you rinse and discovers dozens of little dark spots in the lather! Point being, if you use this technique, it doesn't matter if the blades is 50% wider than standard because you are lifting until it touches down and no more. There is a certain amount of lift for each razor that should remain the constant as you navigate across an uneven terrain. Lift up, pull down. Like a window squeegee.
Brilliantly stated!

Top Bottom