What's new

test two hundred and seven

Raven Koenes

My precious!
3 strikes and...... yer OUT

:001_tt2::07::117::a19:
I was trying to do the below to post a picture that is not as small as a thumbnail and not as large as a full image. I asked Cal how he did his, and I can't make heads or tails of it. :07:

I was wondering about downloading photos. When I post photos it gives me two options either full image or thumbnail. The thumbnail is usually too small, and the full image is often to big. Is there a way to scale back the full image to a happy medium? -Rave:

I'd forget both thumbnail and full image options altogether. Once you've completed your post simply click "CREATE THREAD" (which is above the "Attached Files" box) and be done. This automatically gives you full image, but the forum software will reduce it to fit whatever you're viewing it on. Try it out in the Post Testing Area. :wink2:

I crop, pre-size, and compress images before using them. Typical web dimensions I use are 640x480 (W/H) and compress to photoshop 60 (high), trying to keep them around 50-80k in file size. If the image file size is to large (nearing 100k). I'll drop the compression but anything below 40 and most jpg images start to pixilate (get fuzzy around the edges).

I will then upload to a remote storage location and either wrap the external URL with bb img tags or use the image icon in the editor (which wraps it automatically).

proxy.php

Below is a remotely hosted image I uploaded and used in a post earlier today put in this post using the image icon method in the editor.

640x557 dimensions. 84k file. Large enough to see, compressed lightly enough to be clear. Loads fast.

proxy.php

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I crop, pre-size, and compress images before using them. Typical web dimensions I use are 640x480 (W/H) and compress to photoshop 60 (high), trying to keep them around 50-80k in file size. If the image file size is to large (nearing 100k). I'll drop the compression but anything below 40 and most jpg images start to pixilate (get fuzzy around the edges).

I will then upload to a remote storage location and either wrap the external URL with bb img tags or use the image icon in the editor (which wraps it automatically).

proxy.php

Below is a remotely hosted image I uploaded and used in a post earlier today put in this post using the image icon method in the editor.

640x557 dimensions. 84k file. Large enough to see, compressed lightly enough to be clear. Loads fast.

proxy.php
Thank you! :thumbsup:

I glanced at your two images on your other test post

The 1st one is 1.2M (as in mega bytes) or 1,200.00 K (kilobytes). 2nd one is over 2 meg. These are 3 mega pixle wide wall/poster size images (like 6 foot by 4 foot posters) not insy bitty cell phone size which only need to be 360 pixels to fill a jumbo cell screen. They are 3,000 times larger than they need to be.

That is why they are treated as attachments.

They would take 3 minutes or more to load over the fastest network connection. You would need to be on a T1 or oc3 fiber connection to speed this up.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I glanced at your two images on your other test post

The 1st one is 1.2M (as in mega bytes) or 1,200.00 K (kilobytes). 2nd one is over 2 meg. These are 3 mega pixle wide wall/poster size images (like 6 foot by 4 foot posters) not insy bitty cell phone size which only need to be 360 pixels to fill a jumbo cell screen. They are 3,000 times larger than they need to be.

That is why they are treated as attachments.

They would take 3 minutes or more to load over the fastest network connection. You would need to be on a T1 or oc3 fiber connection to speed this up.

Sheesh! I thought I could reduce the pixels after I took the picture and edited it on my computer. Then I decided to learn my camera more, and I can reduce pixels from the menu there before I even shoot a picture. Thanks for your help. I don't want to take up that much space on B&B and want to share. BTW the photos I added above today are still the one's 3,000 times bigger than they need to be.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oooh, A Betty Ford weekender party cart! I like!

For forum posts I try to stay around 640 pixels wide by 480 tall but that is just me.

Cell phones don't seem to have lower camera capture settings considering their screens are only 360 pixels wide. This makes for a lot of after the shot processing to get a usable image. I don't think I can get my S8+ below 2560 by 1440 for a 3.7 meg image. BUT the video can be set as low as 640x480 vga.

Top Bottom