What's new

Test driving my shaving scuttle.

Good morning.

Decided to give my shaving scuttle a test drive today. I placed the soap in the top of it and filled it with boiling water. I let it sit for a few minutes (with my shaving brush in the spout) to set the soap ‘set’ so it doesn’t slide about.

I started lathering with my hot brush and boy does it lather well! The lather was all hot, nice and creamy as I applied it to my face.

I did a ‘faux shave’ with my Parker 22R Interceptor razor (no blade) and it simply glided and it was that comfortable! Can’t wait to do an actual shave with it! I wish there was a fast forward button so my beard grows faster!

To conclude, I am extremely happy with my scuttle. I waited long enough for one and I am ever so pleased with it. I’m expecting it to pay for itself so I won’t have to keep buying creams so often. Can’t wait to try it with other soaps. In fact I am tempted to bin my rubbishy supermarket shaving gels (NOT to be confused with my GFT creams) to make room for some more Taylor soaps.

On a side note, can the scuttle also be used for lathering creams without the cream falling through the holes in the top section?

Jason.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I wish there was a fast forward button so my beard grows faster!

I believe your Missus is happy with your regular shaving mania because it keeps you delighted and rewards her with a dapper and well-scented gentleman.

Taking folic acid supplements and adding 300 calories of unflavored gelatin a day might be that bridge too far.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Good morning.

Decided to give my shaving scuttle a test drive today. I placed the soap in the top of it and filled it with boiling water. I let it sit for a few minutes (with my shaving brush in the spout) to set the soap ‘set’ so it doesn’t slide about.

I started lathering with my hot brush and boy does it lather well! The lather was all hot, nice and creamy as I applied it to my face.

I did a ‘faux shave’ with my Parker 22R Interceptor razor (no blade) and it simply glided and it was that comfortable! Can’t wait to do an actual shave with it! I wish there was a fast forward button so my beard grows faster!

To conclude, I am extremely happy with my scuttle. I waited long enough for one and I am ever so pleased with it. I’m expecting it to pay for itself so I won’t have to keep buying creams so often. Can’t wait to try it with other soaps. In fact I am tempted to bin my rubbishy supermarket shaving gels (NOT to be confused with my GFT creams) to make room for some more Taylor soaps.

On a side note, can the scuttle also be used for lathering creams without the cream falling through the holes in the top section?

Jason.
I believe you are using the scuttle correctly with the soap puck in the top. I have seen the top part with the drainage holes used for lathering but I do not think that is how the scuttle was traditionally used. I think you load the brush from the puck in the top and then face lather or transfer to a lathering bowl. In the days before indoor plumbing you would have a jug, basin and mirror in your room. You would want to avoid polluting the whole basin of clean water with soap and bristles so you would use the scuttle for the entire shaving process, wiping your straight razor with a towel, not in the basin. This method also minimises the volume of water used for the shave which is an advantage in the absence of indoor plumbing.

Good morning.

Jason.
Sorry if I missed the original post.
Which scuttle did you get?

Please don't wish your life away! We enjoy your posts!:001_smile
Im glad you lot enjoy my posts! So glad to be a much respected member on this forum! Anyway what I meant by that is having a fast forward button is only to make my beard grow faster so I can have more shaves! But then again ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’, meaning that the shaves are more special!

Jason

I’ve thought about getting a scuttle a time or two but they’re not really a big draw for me. At least the heat and humidity isn’t too bad here in Florida right now
Yes we had a the first cold front of the season come thru. We got some 60 degree weather. Two days later its back in the 80s. I think I would dust the scuttle more than actually use it.

Yes we had a the first cold front of the season come thru. We got some 60 degree weather. Two days later its back in the 80s. I think I would dust the scuttle more than actually use it.
I think I’d be dusting it more than using it too. Know the feeling about the temps. I dealt with Ian (wasn’t affected too much), then a few days later a couple cool days, then warm again. But the humidity isn’t that bad now

I was given a scuttle back in the early '80s, but didn't have a clue as to how to use it. Eventually, I donated it or sold it long ago.
Now I wish I had it back!!

It's interesting imagining how shaving was done pre-indoor plumbing. Yesterday, we had a power outage of about 11 hours and are on a well so had no water to speak of. We get a few flushes of the toilets if there's enough water in the pressure tank but I skipped shaving yesterday and started thinking of how good we have it today (at least in regards to refrigerators and indoor plumbing). I had to get the little generator out to keep our fridge going and keep the stuff in the freezer frozen. I'm too soft to have survived 150 years ago. And lazy to boot

Anyway, I always thought scuttles looked cool and I like TOBS' creams. I see their store is selling rebranded Muhle safety razors at very high prices!

Top Bottom