What's new

Terrible First Time out with a Straight (Need help!; thanks.)

That's advice I'm going to take. Beard prep is important; I've experienced that. But as I got better and better with the DE, it became something that could be easily overcome. Now I need to get serious about it again.

Today's shave was another step forward. Managed to go WTG over my entire face and neck. Ran ATG under my nose and on my chin; then cut myself trying to do the right cheek -- a nice slice but no big deal. That's when I gave up for the day and finished with my Futur. Felt really good for the third shave. Discovered that the angle of attack has to be far more muted than with a safety razor. There's a long way to go and learning will take time. But I feel myself making progress.

The secret to cutting the **** out of your self with a straight is to draw the blade even the slightest bit along its width. Work on to technique so that the blade rests on your skin without much pressure. Then make sure you don't draw the blade. Takes some getting used to especially in the mirror but you get there.

btw:What worked for me was simulating with a pencil. If I felt myself drawing the pencile along the length of the "blade" I figured I had just cut myself.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The secret to cutting the **** out of your self with a straight is to draw the blade even the slightest bit along its width. Work on to technique so that the blade rests on your skin without much pressure. Then make sure you don't draw the blade. Takes some getting used to especially in the mirror but you get there.

btw:What worked for me was simulating with a pencil. If I felt myself drawing the pencile along the length of the "blade" I figured I had just cut myself.

"Draw" the blade? I think you are referring to what I call a sliding stroke, and what others call a "scything stroke". This is a recommended technique, though perhaps not for your first month or so of shaving. If you slice yourself, then your angle is much too high or possibly you aren't stretching your skin enough. It increases the cutting power of the blade exponentially. It is like slicing a tomato instead of chopping straight down through it. Same with whiskers. A slight pull or push along the axis of the blade makes it go through whiskers like crazy, even if the edge is not so scary sharp. Most straight shavers use some variation of this stroke because it works so well.

I have aways used a straight stroke. Specificaly to avoid cutting myself. But I up to learning better ways.... even to have misconsceptions corrected.

Parallax, you might consider limiting your passes to 2 WTG passes for the first 20 or so shaves. This can help you get very comfortable with WTG (and you can get decent shaves) before adding XTG and ATG. You don't have to wait (of course!) but in my case, initially focusing on WTG has helped the razor feel more natural in my hands as I then added in XTG and ATG passes.

Your thinking needs to change. The reality is you had a great first shave. You didn't need a trip to the emergency room. You didn't need stitches. The blade didn't slit your skin and become embedded in your skull.
Without question you have done well. Compliment yourself on a job well done, and start working on your technique. Read as much as you can, than practice, practice, practice. Experience is the best teacher. The shaves will improve with time, and the incredible end result is well worth it.
Good luck.

Well, I didn't get to shave at all this morning so I'm off to give it a go now -- with two days of stubble to shave off. Can't go to bed anyway; my son's car broke down and I'm waiting up to make sure he gets it towed to the shop.

Top Bottom