What's new

Term "wet shaving" exclusive to "safety razors?"

I know people like to categorize things. Personally its not something I get hung up on but its funny to me that we basically only look at a small glimpse in time. Man has been shaving for thousands of years. What is traditional. To me my SE and DE razors or no different then cartridge razors (if you are 15 yrs old you can argue cartridge razors are traditional wet shaving). I mean cartridge razors have been around for what 50 years now. Not exactly a new phenomenon. DE and SE razors really in the scope of things have not been used that much longer. Straights get a little better in the time dept. Maybe if you go back to shaving like those in the stone age or the Egyptians or Romans etc.

Reminds me of arguments on 1911's everybody makes up rules as to what is true or acceptable in new production 1911's. Some will accept one thing but not another. Makes me laugh.

Not trying to ruffle feathers, just how I look at it.

I've always used the term as a catch-all to contrast with dry shaving using an electric razor, but to include carts, DE, SE, SR and any other method that involves the use of water, soap/cream/foam/gel. I'll talk about using traditional razor blades if the subject comes up in conversation, to be more specific.

+1. This is also my understanding. We use the additional adjective "traditional" to describe what most B&B gents do!

you can break the term wet shaving into modern and traditional. modern wet shaving is cartridge razors, or electric with foam/cream, traditional is straight/DE/SE with soap/cream/foam. its like pen and ink drawing, while all pens have ink the term is mostly used to describe drawings using fountain or dip pens.

I dislike "wet shaving" as it's a bit to broad. Traditional is marginal. Classic is closer. Vintage is spot on for straights, anything before (insert year here)

It's a bit hard to define. Whatever their methods, B+Ber's are "Serious Shaving"
Considered, Thoughtfull.

If you actually want to be correct in your shaving terminology you should know that cartridge razors and disposables are also technically safety razors.

Hi,

I usually say Traditional Wet Shaving. SR, SE, DE razors with soap or cream plus a brush wet with water.

The Wet part must be said to differentiate it from Dry shaving. Dry shaving is Traditionally done with an electric shaver, but some electrics work Wet and some of us do Dry shave with SR, SE and DE razors.

I used to regularly Dry Shave with a Personna DermaGard DE razor after long periods of runs with an ambulance. The DermaGard was designed for Dry shaving in hospitals. Note that this is not the same blade as a Med Prep. They have a open comb like guard wrapped around the blade edge. This, inside a plastic open comb razor.

94376c4ec257d7ae784bd30296ec3642-1-1200.jpg

Stan

The two-word term is pretty self explanatory. To exclude certain razors or lubricants from it is just snobbery.

Top Bottom