What's new

TENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2019 Edition

Astra Superior Stainless (24)
Merkur 11 open comb razor
Balea boar brush
Monsavon, face lathered
Master Spice

I had to chase down a few more stray hairs during touch up, stubble that's usually gone after two passes. That's the only sign of degradation from this Astra SS. No discomfort, no irritation, no nicks. Just an increase in the duration of the shave to get CCS or DFS.

I'm impressed with how the Merkur 11 performs with a blade with this many shaves on it. Usually, when I'm extending the life of a blade, I have it in a Gillette Fatboy at this stage, set to 7 or higher. I'll have to rethink the aggression progression method of blade longevity.

Rapira Platinum Lux (26a)
Pacific Shaving Co. Caffinated
Proraso Green ASL
Good shave. Really getting to like the spearmint scent of the shave cream. I consider it top tier product.

Thank God February is a 28 day month!

Hi,

Yes, that is exactly why we do this in February! ;)

Stan

February 25th, shave #16 - Muhle R41, Feather Stainless.

It's been kind of an unusual month for me, as I won't be getting 20 shaves in. This one was fantastic, no irritation and great DFS results.

Wilkinson Sword German (22)
Merkur 34c
TOBS eton collage

No doubt the blade is quickly loosing performance. Requires more work and need to apply a little bit of pressure to clean up, which in turn give some skin irritation.
If I would be satisfied with a ordinary one pass shave this blade would be able to run for another month or more, but for a DFS or BBS it starts to become harder.
Will use it for the last time on the 28th, then it will be binned. It has served me very well so far.

Gillette Platinum Plus (19)

Full three pass this afternoon. Noticing definite tugging on my jawline now, and the blade can't give me a BBS anymore.

No irritation, which is to be expected now. But this isn't how I want to shave.

Once more with this blade Thursday morning and then to the bin with it.

Shave 20 something. Possibly 30 but I don't think so yet. Shark stainless, derby shave stick.

Decided to set the slim to 7 for all passes for this one to see if it was much different. It actually made more difference than I expected to on the first pass (compared to the 8 of last shave) with not as much thining down as I would hope. So I went for a full three pass shave instead of my now accustomed two. cross the grain went ok. against the grain went ok but still left much more than I like and I had to do an extra against the grain to get it to DFS level.

No tugging or anything - the blade still cuts. No irritation except one little area at the corner of my mouth that I buffed just a touch to much. I doubt I'll get another shave in in Feb (1 day left) so i'd say this blade is done - but it has done extremely well.

I think using a blade until it's really done can be quite instructive -- I've found that getting those last few shaves develops my skills a bit, and that sticks with me on the next blade. Result is that I wear them less to start with and they last longer.

I think this Topaz will be much like a SuperMax -- roughly 70 shaves or so. I'm still on the first edge, and getting nice shaves, so at least 52 as I got #26 this morning. Nice to shave without nicks or weepers!

#14 Nacet
This is as far as I got last year; don't know if it's the new cream, the wider blade gap, or just the blade, but my face is red and the VIBR burned!
I'm stubborn, though, so I've got at least one more left.

Hi,

Shave 27 done. The thing with a Fasan DoubleSlant is that there is no irritation, even with a new blade. It is when a blade is done that irritation shows up. My last four shaves have irritated a bit much. Gets worse each day. But, tomorrow is the last!

Stan

Rapira Platinum Lux (27a)
Pacific Shaving Co. Caffeinated
Proraso Green ASL
Good shave. Really getting to like the spearmint scent of the shave cream. I consider it top tier product.

Thank God February is a 28 day month!

Astra Superior Stainless (25)
Gillette Fatboy, set to 7
Vie Long horse hair brush
vintage Williams Mug Soap, face lathered
AOS Ocean Kelp After Shave Lotion

Blade felt re-energized in the Fatboy. A good, 2-pass shave. But the extra touch up/blade buffing required led to mild alum sting on my trouble spots. Still, pretty remarkable for a blade with 25 shaves on it. One more day in the month, and this will be my set up tomorrow...challenge met!!!

#12 and final shave with the vintage Gillette Super Stainless (P4-1970). I only shave three times a week M/W/F, so this wraps it up for me. I'd call it a success.

This shave, although a bit rough and tuggy at this point, was as close as the first one and all the others.
Looks great and feels smooth, but I feel a bit of a burn, so no interest in continuing into next month.

Top Bottom