What's new

TENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2019 Edition

Second shave with the Dorco Prime STP301 replacement blade. Had a really nice shave. I like these blades a lot. I feel bad about the one that got damaged because I feel it could have easily survived the month. These definitely have a solid spot in my blade rotation.

Shave 22

ATT SE1
Schick Proline(22)

The blade is struggling on my chin and above my lip, had to work for a BBS today, doubt I'll go any further.

My routine was the same all month... Shower and face wash with Neutrogena fragrance free liquid face wash. Sweet Almond oil pre shave. VDH Deluxe/Aveeno Therapeutic shave gel super lather with RR Bruce synthetic brush. Adidas Dynamic Pulse AS and Nivea Maximum Hydration post shave balm.

First actual post for this. Shave I don't know how many - at a guess about 25 but I've only been shaving every 3-4 days.

Shark stainless. Gillette Slim. Derby shave stick.

I have the slim set to 8 for the with the grain pass. The blade is really smooth at this point and I had been about to replace it when I noticed this thread. It just isn't cutting as well as it did when new.

I am setting the against the grain pass very light because of the amount of buffing I need to do - 2 on the slim and it is not getting a super smooth finish as easily. It takes considerable buffing on the mustache. As usual for me I leave my neck less shaved than the rest of my face - just a with the grain and a cross the grain - I really can't take an against the grain pass with anything on the neck without irritation.

Overall a very nice shave. Smooth and no irritation. I'm going to be replacing this blade on March the first for sure though.

Nacet #13.
I was considering switching the blade into an OLD or something, but I'll just open up the Fat Boy to 7 or 8 for the last couple shaves.
Really not that bad, just a little more work, and I don't have to worry about cutting myself.
Looking forward to March 1 and a new blade, though

Rapira Platinum Lux (25a)
Pacific Shaving Co. Caffinated
Proraso Green ASL
Good shave. Really getting to like the spearmint scent of the shave cream. I consider it top tier product.

Last edited:
#11 on the vintage Gillette Super Stainless (P4-1970).

Shave #10 happened over the weekend. The blade has degraded a bit more now.

This morning, the shave felt a bit rough and I had a few mini-nicks on my cheeks.
No longer thinking about taking this blade into next month.

I expect my twelfth and final shave with this blade to be on Wednesday 2/27.

Astra Superior Stainless (23)
Merkur 11 open comb razor
Proraso boar brush
Van Der Hagen Luxury + Pecksniff's shaving cream, face lathered
Witch Hazel followed by Institut Karite Shea after-shave balm

At first I thought the Merkur 11 would be too mild, but I got a shave as good as yesterday's, in two passes and with less touch up. Three shaving days left.

The Pecksniff's was an impulse buy--$2.99 at TJ Maxx and I might have overpaid. A test lather on my palm failed to produce a usable result. However, it super-lathered nicely with the VDH, adding a degree of slickness lacking in a VDH-only lather. Smells nice.

I got the Institut Karite 25% Shea After Shave Balm, also at TJ Maxx for a steal, $5. But I was fully set to be disappointed with that purchase. Upon initial application, it felt sticky. I was going to wash it off once I finished dressing, but by the time I was done, the stickiness had vanished. So I'm one for two on my impulse purchases.

Hi,

Well, shave 26 is showing that this blade is about done in. But, I will use it twice more and force it to the end.

Stan

Rapira Platinum Lux (26a)
Pacific Shaving Co. Caffinated
Proraso Green ASL
Good shave. Really getting to like the spearmint scent of the shave cream. I consider it top tier product.

Thank God February is a 28 day month!

Top Bottom