What's new

TENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2019 Edition

February 21st, shave #13 - Muhle R41, Feather Stainless.

Another great two pass (WTG, ATG) shave. No weepers or irritation this time around.

Astra Superior Stainless (19)
British Rocket Flare Tip
Proraso boar brush
Nivea Body Stick, face lathered
Master Well Comb Lord & Master After Shave Lotion

Achieved a close, nick-free, irritation-free shave.

Seven more days left. Will make 21 shaves. Hopeful on more. Might move the blade to several different razors to see how a blade with this many shaves behaves in them. I'd like to try it in my Futur, my Progress, and one more OC.

#9 on the vintage Gillette Super Stainless (P4-1970).

If the shaves remain this good, I may keep the blade going into next month.

Gillette Platinum Plus (15)

Is it March 1st yet?
(checks calendar)
Dammit.

How you know you're shaving with a dull blade: When you have your Gillette Slim set on 9, and you are making multiple buffing passes with pressure and a ludicrous angle on your chin and neck, and you don't cut yourself or even get irritated, you just might be shaving with a dull blade.

For all that, I got my BBS. Eventually. If this blade gets any duller I'm going to have to start booking time in my day planner to finish shaving.

Never been more excited to announce my failure than I am today. After 3 different Bolzano blades the month I used a dorco prime and increased my joy 7 fold (number is arbitrary and may not reflect actually joy increase). Look forward to next year. Plan to see how long I can go in March on one blade.

Two Blades in February? :hand:
It seems that way (unfortunately).

It seems that for my Mongoose SE and Feather Professional, 15 days was the limit. I'm now up to day 5 with the Feather Pro Guard. I'm sure I'll take it to the end of the month at this point without issue. However, I'll have to reconsider just what I'm going to try for next year's one blade challenge.

Nacet 10 and 11.
It's officially "dull" and I can feel it. I've been working with suboptimal lather this week as I'm travelling.
Still cutting with a Tech, but I'll have to crank the 195 up another notch for the next shave(s).
Still in and will ride out the rest of the month.

Shave 20

ATT SE1
Schick Proline(20) flipped over

Still getting long lasting BBS results. Takes a little more effort on my chin and above my lip where stubble is more coarse. I am able to compensate with more pressure.

Wilkinson Sword German (19)
Merkur 34c
TOBS Eton collage (wow what a scent)

Two days stubble mowed down to a almost BBS face. Seems like this blade can go on for ever. Really impressed!

Astra Superior Stainless (20)
Gillette Red Tip Super Speed
TOBS Badger brush
Vintage Williams, face lathered
Pinaud Clubman

The step up to a slightly more aggressive razor led to a decent 2-pass shave. In the Rocket, I thought that one side of the blade was cutting better than the other. I'm not noticing that in the Red Tip.

Gillette Platinum Plus (16)

There is an active discussion on the shaving cream forum about Gillette Pure shave cream. Curious, I bought a tube today and used it this afternoon.

This stuff is the bee's knees. It is the wasp's nipples. It is, I would go so far as to say, the entire set of erogenous zones of every major flying insect of the Western world. (RIP Douglas Adams.) In other words, it made a really useful lather, and a brushload of this stuff sparked joy. I can't place the scent at all, but the end result was a very good face feel and no irritation. This is a keeper.

What would have sparked even more joy would be a sharper blade. I might keep using this cream for the rest of the month just to keep the shaves tolerable.

Shave Number 15 maybe, I haven't been keeping a good count :( The Gillette Green is doing a fine job still and this morning it did a BBS in the Gillette Slim ... 3 passes with Proraso blue top cream. I did vary the settings on the slim and I feel that might have had a big part in todays nice shave.

Top Bottom