What's new

Tennis anyone?

If there isn't an active Tennis discussion, let's get one started.
Wood? Metal? Graphite?
What is your all time favorite?

Wood: Dunlop Maxply Fort, VS or PDP Durachrome 16L @ 60 lbs.
Metal: Head Pro, Head Elite @ 60 lbs.
Graphite: Wilson Ultra II Mid, VS or NXT 17L @ 60 lbs.

Hi Schnitzel52,

I love to play and watch tennis. The older I get, the better my game was, lol.

I play with a Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 110 stretch (since 1996) as my regular racquet of choice. I also own some Wilson Jack Kramer Pro Staff racquets I break out on occasion.

My favorite players of all-time are John McEnroe and Amanda Coetzer. I've been fortunate enough to have met both.

Best,
John

Hi Schnitzel52,

I love to play and watch tennis. The older I get, the better my game was, lol.

I play with a Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 110 stretch (since 1996) as my regular racquet of choice. I also own some Wilson Jack Kramer Pro Staff racquets I break out on occasion.

My favorite players of all-time are John McEnroe and Amanda Coetzer. I've been fortunate enough to have met both.

Best,
John
Hi, John
Me too!
I love tennis.
Player since 1964.
I used to be on staff with Wilson and Head before that.
My all time favorite racquet is the Wilson Ultra II Mid.
Playing with a Volkl V-Feel 9 now.
I haven't met Amanda but I met many of the top professionals and strung their racquets.
Wish I had my old Maxply Fort.
That was a sweet swinging stick.

Keep on swinging,
Ed

Hi Ed,

Very cool reply. I especially find it interesting that you’ve strung racquets for the pros before.

I’ve worked in the stringing room of two pro tournaments, some years ago. In 2000 I worked in Miami for Jay’s Custom Stringing, and in 2008 I worked for Priority One in Cincinnati.

Racquet wise I started with a Pancho Gonzales Spalding wood racquet. Eventually I moved to a Dunlop graphite racquet.

That said, in 1996 when I moved over to my current frame, which I own a bunch of, I really knew it was a great fit for my game. So much so I had a bunch of them customized by RPNY Tennis. The extended length also helps in that like Monica Seles or Fabrice Santoro I hit primarily with two hands off of both sides.

BTW, thanks for starting this group!

Best,
John

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

Very cool reply. I especially find it interesting that you’ve strung racquets for the pros before.

I’ve worked in the stringing room of two pro tournaments, some years ago. In 2000 I worked in Miami for Jay’s Custom Stringing, and in 2008 I worked for Priority One in Cincinnati.

Racquet wise I started with a Pancho Gonzales Spalding wood racquet. Eventually I moved to a Dunlop graphite racquet.

That said, in 1996 when I moved over to my current frame, which I own a bunch of, I really knew it was a great fit for my game. So much so I had a bunch of them customized by RPNY Tennis. The extended length also helps in that like Monica Seles or Fabrice Santoro I hit primarily with two hands off of both sides.

BTW, thanks for starting this group!

Best,
John

Wow Lots in common.
Sorry or the short reply and delay.
We have house a guest.
I'll follow up soon.

Ed

I'm ready to play tennis!
The local Polar Bear Ladder is in full swing, but I will wait or warmer weather.
So, how do you and other active tennis players get through winter?

In the winter I don't get to play as much tennis as I do, nor as much as I'd like. That said, a friend of mine is an instructor, so when I get the chance I can play indoors for free, which is a definite plus.

Tennis related, watching tournaments on TV, and listening to Audible books on the topic really keep me in the tennis frame of mind.

Hi Ed,

All-time my favorite are John McEnroe and Amanda Coetzer. For other players I was/am a big fan of the list could go on for quite some time. Among them, and of the top of my head, are of course Roger Federer, Martina Hingis, Gustavo Kuerten, Andre Agassi, Arthur Ashe, Stefan Edberg, Goran Ivanisevic and so many more.

Whom are among your favorites?

Best,
John

Rod Laver, Jimmy Connors, Stefan Edberg, Ivan Lendl, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer.
I knew Arthur Ashe. I stung his racquets when he played in Denver and I used to see him at Head.
Head racquets used to be ade in Boulder and I would see him up there.
He was very involved with Head and the development of their frames.
He was a true gentleman. It as quite a privilege to know him as a stringer.
What is your playing style?

Great choices on your favorites. Of course, the 1984 French Open still gives me nightmares with Lendl.

Very cool about Arthur Ashe. A true legend on the court, and clearly even more so off of it. Gone but not forgotten. I’ve always heard he was a gentleman and glad that you confirmed that!

My style of play is not flashy at all. It is more so a defensive, pusher style, which relies heavily on consistency, placement and movement in the absence of power. In many ways it reflects the same style, albeit nowhere near the level of a Coetzer or Michael Chang. My serves, and return of, are reliable, but not awe-inspiring at all.

What style of game do you play?

Great choices on your favorites. Of course, the 1984 French Open still gives me nightmares with Lendl.

Very cool about Arthur Ashe. A true legend on the court, and clearly even more so off of it. Gone but not forgotten. I’ve always heard he was a gentleman and glad that you confirmed that!

My style of play is not flashy at all. It is more so a defensive, pusher style, which relies heavily on consistency, placement and movement in the absence of power. In many ways it reflects the same style, albeit nowhere near the level of a Coetzer or Michael Chang. My serves, and return of, are reliable, but not awe-inspiring at all.

What style of game do you play?

Yes, Arthur Ashe was a great guy.
Pushers can be tough to play.
Return of serve is big!
I you have a god return, you can seize the advantage.
my natural tendency is to attack.
I like to chip and charge, and look for a short ball to attack. (especially on a second serve)
I like to serve and volley, but the courts have become so slow, I only use it when I hit into the receivers body to get a weak return.
I want to play, just talking about it.

To the gym!

By the way, Wilson has a new racquet. The Clash.
Very interesting. IT will be a whole new generation of racquets.
There is a review in Tennis magazine.
Go to Wilson's website, they are giving some away.
Keep on swinging!

Hi Ed,

Very true. At times though I wish I had a power game. The older I get the more I appreciate the skill of a quick point.

I might end up demoing the Clash racquet, as I am always interested in the new gear that comes out. That said, I don’t believe I’ll ever change from my current racquet. It’s like an old friend that you know so well that nothing need be said.

Do you where a specific brand of Tennis clothes or use a specific brand of gear? At work they nicknamed my Nike, due to my Tennis apparel. Racquet wise, I use Wilson and have a matching Bag as well.

Best,
John

I wore Fred Perry.
It was a traditional tennis whites look.
Fred Perry, dozens of pairs of Stan Smiths and Rod Lavers, Adidas ATP Pros.
I switched to Wilson tennis wear when I was on Wilson staff.
Used Wilson racquets from the original Ultra to the Blade 93; which they discontinued. (Grrrrr)
I now use the Volkl V Feel 9.
Do you use the 6.1?
Are you using poly strings?

Top Bottom