What's new

Tendskin is a ripoff

Why do people pay $20 for rubbing alcohol? That's literally the first ingredient. I bet that makes up the majority of active ingredients, too.

We've always been taught that alcohol dries the skin and that it is bad to put some on the skin or to avoid products with alcohol in them.

Alcohol does work to dry out the skin, yes. However, it has astringent and disinfectant properties, and many things that aren't very soluble in water are much more soluble in alcohol. And as for the ingredients, many work best when they are in trace quantities. In pills, for example, the inactive ingredients usually make up the vast majority of the product, yet they only exist to act as a carrier for the "real" product.

That said, I haven't looked at Tendskin's ingredients, and it is my understanding that rubbing alcohol isn't as good as denatured ethanol for skincare.

I think the most important ingredient is salicylic acid.

If you tired the product and it didn't perform it's intended function, you should state such. If you just think it stinks because it's expensive and it's first ingredient is denatured alcohol, I'm not sure that opinion means very much.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
As far as I can tell it's main ingredients are isopropyl alcohol, aspirin and glycerine. Just the mere presence of alcohol doesn't make it bad.

The vendor has two patents for this stuff, so they are at least doing something different from other substances out there. I've not seen a patented aftershave balm. I'm not really the target market, but if I were, I'd give it a shot. You can get a sample for $5. If that doesn't work, no need to drop $20. For the issues it claims to alleviate, I'll bet people would happlily drop a 20 if it works.

Fix you right up for less than the cost of top end artisan soaps.

Alcohol does work to dry out the skin, yes. However, it has astringent and disinfectant properties, and many things that aren't very soluble in water are much more soluble in alcohol. And as for the ingredients, many work best when they are in trace quantities. In pills, for example, the inactive ingredients usually make up the vast majority of the product, yet they only exist to act as a carrier for the "real" product.

That said, I haven't looked at Tendskin's ingredients, and it is my understanding that rubbing alcohol isn't as good as denatured ethanol for skincare.

+1! Alcohol has a number of helpful properties and is a traditional AS ingredient. That said, I have not tried Tendskin, so I cannot comment on how well it works.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I just looked at my Aqua Velva 5 in 1 balm tube, it too has salicylic acid aka aspirin in it.

I hate to be that guy, but Salicylic acid is not the same as Aspirin. Aspirin or ASA is actually Acetylsalicylic acid. Aspirin actually comes from the reaction when you combine salicylic acid and acetic acid. Cheers!

Or more specifically:
Salicylic acid + acetic anhydride = aspirin + acetic acid
Acetic anhydride is used instead of acetic acid because the reaction leaves no water left over as a side product.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yup, I forgot all about the acetyl group. For some reason the salicylic stuck out. Salicylic is also used in topical wart treatment. Chemistry is not my strong suit. Took what I needed for my Bio degree. Liked physics though.

I loooove physics. Well all of my chem, bio, physics, calculus, and A&P led me to where I am today, albeit not on purpose. After school I didn't enjoy the work I found or the people I worked with and felt unfulfilled. So I found my calling as a Field Training Officer and Fire Medic for the County Fire Rescue Department where I live. I have never looked back. Cheers!

Mantic made a video about this product a while ago, stating you could get the same benefits by just using plain uncoated aspirin and the affected area. That's basically the only ingredient that works in Tendskin. Unless the alcohol is supposed to dry out the skin on purpose so the acetylsalicylic acid, aka aspirin, takes effect?

Mantic made a video about this product a while ago, stating you could get the same benefits by just using plain uncoated aspirin and the affected area. That's basically the only ingredient that works in Tendskin. Unless the alcohol is supposed to dry out the skin on purpose so the acetylsalicylic acid, aka aspirin, takes effect?
There are lots of products that are easy to DIY. Even soap isn't difficult to make. Most people would rather just pay for it though.

I would imagine that alcohol in part is to make the aspirin liquid to help with application. It might help with absorption of it as well. The other ingredients in it are to counteract the drying of the alcohol.

Salicylic acid is used in lots of acne medicines both over the conter and prescription. It is oil soluble - it cleans all the oil out of the pore. Acetylsalicylic acid is indeed aspirin. Looks like Tendskin uses acetylsalicylic acid.

This is right from Tendskin's Patent:

In a most preferred embodiment of the invention, which appears to be the most effective and Soothing to the skin, the acetylsalicylic acid is present in the range of about 15 percent by weight per unit volume of the Solvent mixture up to Saturation of the Solvent mixture and the Solvent mixture comprises propylene glycol in about 10 percent by Volume, glycerine in about 2 percent by Volume, and the balance of the Volume Substantially made up with isopropyl alcohol alone or a Solution of isopropyl alcohol and water, provided that the isopropyl alcohol is at least about 70 percent by Volume of the Solution of isopropyl alcohol and water. Where the isopropyl alcohol is about 70 percent by volume of the Solution of isopropyl alcohol and water, the Saturation concentration of the acetylsalicylic acid in this Solvent mixture is about 18 percent by weight per unit volume.

These formulations have been empirically tested on a limited basis with a few persons and the results have been most positive, particularly for the presently most preferred embodiment of the invention. Although the inventors do not purport to know why the new compositions are effective, it is believed that the acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) is important for Softening the hair and reducing the degree of curvature in the hair. Thus, the treated hair has neither the mechanical Strength nor the high degree of curvature necessary to penetrate the Skin or follicle wall, thereby reducing or eliminating the basic cause of pseudofolliculitis barbae and ingrown hair.

So... it would seem that this product has a pretty specific use. I'm thinking that if razor bumps are a problem, improving technique and a good pre-shave (with a million product choices) may be the best bet. That said, the OP was re: the concentration of alcohol, which is explained well in the patent...

By that logic, all AS containing alcohol are just over priced bottles of rubbing alcohol. Just because it's the FIRST ingredient doesn't mean its the most important ingredient. It's the highest concentration because it's the base of the concoction, not necessarily the active ingredient, or the most expensive.

To the OP- did you try Tendskin? If so did it work for you? I've never used it but have heard some folks say it was a life saver for their face.

Yes, I agree it is on the pricey side, but it is effective for me whenever I've had flare ups with razor burn, in-grown hairs, etc.

Top Bottom