What's new

Tempted to dust off dad's lathe...

I am interested in making a shaving brush. My father has an old lathe in unknown condition. He bought it second hand probably 20 years ago along with some other tools from another woodworker. I don't know if he still has all the gouges or what kinds of chucks he has but I am optimistic.

I think I can figure out how to turn the handle once I see what tools I have to work with (and youtube) but what I am not sure of is how to make the hole for the knot. Do you just use a forstner bit to make the hole on the drill press? I am guessing that it would be easier to do this on the blank before the handle is turned (and the blank would be held like a small bowl in the lathe).

start with a 2x2x3ish blank of something nice
drill the hole for the brush knot
turn the handle
finish and seal the handle to keep water out
set the knot
repeat until people think I am crazy

So, am I on the right track here?:confused1 My fall back plan is to carve the handle if the lathe doesn't work out.

Go for it. Hopefully it is a wood lathe you've got and not metal.

If you are turning a wooden handle, the type of lathe really won't matter. You can turn wood on a metal lathe. I am going next weekend to pick up a 1940's vintage Southbend Model A 9" lathe that I am re-inheriting (long story) and will continue to use it as I have in the past to turn small wooden items. To use it for wood, I am just more picky about where the shavings go and am sure to grind tools specifically for wood cutting.

Turning wood on a metal lathe causes some annoying clean up but otherwise works a treat. Use brown paper bag to protect the more difficult to clean areas. You can get it on a roll too at most stores that sell house paint if you don't get brown grocery bags in your area.

There are a number of ways to turn wood on a lathe, but it boils down to sharp tools and a reasonably set up lathe running at appropriate speed.

Have fun, and get some practice before you try to use expensive woods.

Phil

Top Bottom