What's new

Temple Super Safety Razor (1930s)

This came in a lot of razors from the 30s and early 40s. While the handle is removable for travel it functions as a one piece, with the cap sliding away on a pivot to enable blade insert and removal. It's tightened with a thumbscrew.

No info in Waits though it may carry other branding.

The name is not ironic it shaves just fine, enjoyable even.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

D

dangerousrazor

Wow! Never seen the razor. Thanks for sharing pics of the rare razor!

Ive never seen one. Thnx for posting. Gotta say though, it’s a pretty homely looking little fella.
Pretty much nobody ever seen one which is why I created a thread for it.

Solid brass and perfectly functional. The handle, which ain't pretty, unfortunately is not interchangeable.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Pretty much nobody ever seen one which is why I created a thread for it.

Solid brass and perfectly functional. The handle, which ain't pretty, unfortunately is not interchangeable.

I tried searching the patent no. but can’t see it all and had no luck. Does the patent disclose any juicy info? A disgruntled Bladesman displaced in the Gaisman Gillette overthrow? It sure does have Boston prominently placed.

I tried searching the patent no. but can’t see it all and had no luck. Does the patent disclose any juicy info? A disgruntled Bladesman displaced in the Gaisman Gillette overthrow? It sure does have Boston prominently placed.
U.S. Patent 1774617, 2 Sept 1930, filed 4 Dec 1928, Edward F. Temple, Bedford, Massachusetts. The 1930 patent was also used for the pictured Thomas Stropper razor.

proxy.php

No need to wonder where the ‘Temple’ part of the name came from at least. 😀

Good detail pick up on the Thomas handle. The Waits images are helpful. It looks like the Thomas item must be needing to list the Temple patent for using the idea of thrifty use of blade clamping plates to cover one of the exposed DE blades, an Important shift if it hadn’t been previously done this way. It almost looks like this Temple patent may be a piece of this type of shavette design which is still used today. That is pretty cool.

Not that I have checked, but what I have looked at in the past, I don’t recall seeing Edward Temple’s name on other Gillette or AS patents. So that doesn’t help my lame disgruntled/unemployed designer theory.

So, you have a pet project of the guy who more or less designed the de shavette? 🤓

R

romsitsa

Thanks for sharing. I was toying around with a similar idea, but I found the head will work like a lever, if the securing point is outside the blade. Could you please post a picture with a blade loaded?

Adam

That is screaming for a replate.

I wouldn't think so. The OP says it's solid brass. All it needs is a careful polishing to look new. Speaking for myself, I would likely leave all the scratches the way they are and let it patina naturally. But either way, it's something rather special. Congrats to the OP.

I wouldn't think so. The OP says it's solid brass. All it needs is a careful polishing to look new. Speaking for myself, I would likely leave all the scratches the way they are and let it patina naturally. But either way, it's something rather special. Congrats to the OP.
Yeah I agree, I like brass just fine

Top Bottom