What's new

Temper-Pedic update and review

A few weeks ago, I posted this thread, asking for any experience in getting a Tempur-Pedic bed: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=198939

After more research, we finally purchased one. I say finally because we had been eyeing them for about 2 years.

In the end, we bought a Tempur-Pedic Cloud in a queen size (labelled on our receipt as Tempur-Pedic Cloud Plush). Here is a link to our impressions after the first night: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2989171&postcount=78

I will now give an update to our feelings after having the bed for a week.

Comfort Level
Mr. Crafty always loved it, but he and I both felt it was a little stiff at first. To break it in, we walked around on our knees on the bed. After a week, it is nice and soft and comfy. It is probably one of the most comfortable beds we've ever seen.

Sleep Quality
Mr. Crafty continues to wake up earlier than he normally would because he slept so well, and I don't have much trouble actually falling asleep like I have in the past. I'm out within a few minutes of getting into bed.

Question of Smell
After the first day, that new smell had dissipated about 50%. Now, after a week, you can only smell the bed if you put your nose to the mattress, and ever so slightly if the air in the house is still (it rarely is). I imagine after another week it will be nearly or completely gone.

Question of Difficulty Moving
Moving feels different than another bed, but not difficult.

Question of Sleeping Hot
We don't really find it to be hotter than any other bed. Supposedly, the issue of sleeping hot has been corrected in the newer models.

Other Notes
We can't really comment on the claim that moving around won't disturb the partner, as we have found that we need a new bed frame. Our current one has become unstable and shaky (nothing to do with Tempur-Pedic, It's a frame we've had for a few years). As for not rolling around so much, we can say that we do still move around at night, but not as much and not as violently, as in the morning our bed is still almost perfectly made. That was not the case with our old mattress.

On a side note, the bed is excellent for folding laundry on. I know, sounds odd and way off topic. The thing is that trying to fold laundry while sitting in a chair or on the floor is extremely uncomfortable for me. Just sitting in a flat position is generally very uncomfortable. But I sit Indian-style on the bed and don't have any ill effects from it.

Sheets
I wondered if the bed needed specific sheets. I know Tempur-Pedic and a few other places sell ones specifically for their beds. But, I read somewhere that deep-pocket sheets, around the 18" mark, work well. So, we bought sheets with the 18" pockets. They fit perfectly and don't come off the bed. They are labelled something like "Fits beds up to 18" deep."

The Neck Pillows
Mr. Crafty and I received Tempur-Pedic neck pillows to go with the bed. They normally cost something like $89 each, but the store gave them to us for free. I imagine it was just to sweeten the deal. Mr. Crafty loved them, but I found them to be VERY uncomfortable. However, after a few days, they have softened up and are the most comfortable pillows we've ever had.

Questions?

I've been using knockoff Tempurpedic pillows since I left for college/grad school. Ever since then, I've been wanting to get a mattress. Once I have enough disposable income and somewhere to settle down in, one of these is going to be my first purchases.

Thanks for the great review!

Thanks for starting this useful thread. This kind of consumer feedback is one of the great things about the Barbershop.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Uh, yeah, there is kind of one very important subject you didn't cover here, but I don't think you'd be able to do so without getting modded.

:lol:

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition...

It's the avatar that prompted that. Seriously not trying to derail this thread...

yet.

Have begun shopping for a new bed. Believe it or not, there is a website and forum for this topic!

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/

Loved that site when I shopped for my mattress last fall. I didn't quite end up with what the general recommendation there is (essentially, it seemed like, all latex with a touch of memory foam), but I was steered away from the large companies and found a small local manufacturer and am VERY happy with my new bed :thumbup:

Glad to hear you like it. I know they're supposed to last 20 years or something like that, but I'm soooo very tempted to get another one just because of all the changes and advancements they've made.

We spent the weekend out of town with friends. I could not wait to get home and sleep in our own bed again.

Top Bottom