What's new

temjeito's shave journal (starting with very first SR shave!

Razor: Spike wedge 5/8
Brush: B&B Boar
Soap: Williams + Godrej
A/S: Captain's Choice Lime[/B]
# of passes: 2
Result: DFS/BBS
Quality of lather: too dry
Irritation: 3/10

My ultimate goal was to get irritation-free with 2 passes (WTG and XTG) before adding ATG. At this rate, I may not ever need to do ATG. Each shave gives me a slightly closer result, to the point where I'm nearly getting BBS with two passes and no ATG.

I got a Marvy mug, and it seemed like I had to use Williams with it, so I added a bit of Godrej cream to it and lathered in the mug. I have concluded that Williams is not actually a soap, and I will heretofore be using it to keep my razors dry, since nothing I have ever seen can absorb as much water as this stuff and still stay dry.:001_huh:

The shave felt fantastic, but the alum surprised me with a fair amount of sting. The Captain had nothing to say about it, but half an hour later I can feel a bit of burn around the jawline, and there may be some very faint redness on my neck. I'm attributing that to the lather.

Razor: Parker SR1 with Personna Med Lab
Brush: daVinci 293
Soap: Tabac
A/S: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
# of passes: 2.5 (WTG/XTG/ATG on neck)
Method of lather: face
Quality of lather: slick
Irritation: 4/10

I was inspired by Shave_Rat to acquire a shavette. Now I'm blown away by his efforts to shave twice a day with one. Today was my first shavette shave.

For starters, the Parker SR1 is kind of a piece of crap. The "blade" isn't centered on the scales, the monkey tail is more of a fin and catches on the scales, and in general tolerances seem to have been measured in inches. For $20 I expected a bit more, but it does the job.

First pass was interesting. On the right side of my face (N-S, using right hand), I felt like I wasn't cutting much hair, and the lather confirmed this (side question: If you are a "wiper" with your straight, do you wipe or rinse your shavette? I wiped, but felt like rinsing might have been a better idea, as there seems to be some build-up of lather at the base of the blade holder). When I switched to the left side (N-S, using left hand), I got a nice close shave with plenty of stubble in the lather. The XTG pass (in which I use the right hand on the left side and the left hand on the right) more or less equalized the shaves. I had noticed a milder version of this from time to time with the regular straights, so I wonder if this is an artifact of adjusting to the new geometry, which will go away, or if this is just a build issue and the shavette is asymmetrical. Perhaps the next shave or two will tell.

In general I found myself doing more work (more strokes, more relathering) with the shavette than with my wedges, but the real difference was at the chin and neck. Whereas I usually have something between CCS and DFS on my neck by the end of the XTG pass with a straight, I was barely at SAS with the shavette -- the "soul patch" under my chin that I wore for the first few weeks of shaving was back, and my neck still felt stubbly. I knew I wasn't going to be able to tolerate that, so I flipped the blade around and went ATG on my neck. I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly the ATG went. It wasn't a perfect pass, but it gave me BBS on most of my neck.

The alum had a field day, and I attribute that to the additional strokes I took with the shavette. Interestingly, the ATG strokes do not seem to have produced more irritation than the other strokes. :001_smile I'm curious as to how ATG would go with a real straight. Since straights provide a smoother shave WTG and XTG, it stands to reason the same should be true ATG. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that the sharper DE blade plays a role here and that ATG with the straight may be more challenging. Well, only one way to find out...

I'm inclined to continue on with the shavette for a few days, especially since I'm traveling on Monday and can bring the shavette instead of a DE.
Does one remove the blade from a shavette between shaves? I don't do it with DE razors, and the Parker is (theoretically) stainless steel, so I'm not too worried. I let it hang out to dry...
$IMG_1895.jpg

Last edited:
I wipe the shavette the same as I do my standard straights, and I leave the blade in it between shaves.

They are a different experience for sure. Sharper than standard straights, over all, but often not as smooth/mellow. Due to the sharper part, I find them to work better ATG than a standard straight. I usually try for just XTG in two directions, scything motion style, with the standard straights, since that is more comfortable and just as effective as ATG. I'll do ATG with the shavette, however... just very lightly and carefully.

I can't explain why it wasn't cutting hair on the one side... my best guess is the usual suspects, angle and pressure.

Razor: Parker SR1 with Personna Med Prep (2)
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: MWF
A/S: Captain's Choice Lime
# of passes: 3

I do not enjoy shaving with this thing. It took 40 minutes to do what I can do with a straight in 20, and although the results were better in some spots (neck is BBS), they were worse in others (didn't have time to go ATG on my face, so that's not as close, and there are some patches, like the corners of my mouth and under my chin, where I'm not yet good enough with the shavette). I also gave myself two matching weepers--one under each nostril--plus a couple of love bites on my neck.

This thing is clunky, cheaply made, and provides a harsher shave than any "real" straight. I don't really see a good reason to keep at it.

Last edited:
Razor: Parker SR1 with Personna Med Prep (2)
Soap: MWF
# of passes: 3

I do not enjoy shaving with this thing. It took 40 minutes to do what I can do with a straight in 20, and although the results were better in some spots (neck is BBS), they were worse in others (didn't have time to go ATG on my face, so that's not as close, and there are some patches, like the corners of my mouth and under my chin, where I'm not yet good enough with the shavette). I also gave myself two matching weepers--one under each nostril--plus a couple of love bites on my neck.

This thing is clunky, cheaply made, and provides a harsher shave than any "real" straight. I don't really see a good reason to keep at it.

The shavette I have is a clone of the parker, only plastic scales. I didn't have very good results with it either, the first couple shaves. Once I dialed it in to have a light enough touch and shallow enough angle, it's served me well. I'd say to put it away for a while, stick to the standard straights, and maybe revisit it once you hit like 65-70 straight shaves under your belt, then maybe revisit it for a few. If you still hate it, sell/trade/PIF it away. :)

I have a Fromm hair shaper, like a Weck, I got PIF'ed to me by Otto76 I was going to put up a PIF thread once I got done with crazy birthday party travel, but I could send it off to you with 4 blades if you want to give it a try. Only caveat is if you hate it since it was a PIF to me send it back to me or PIF it onward to someone else. I found the shave smooth enough from the blades, but the shank and tang were too short for my sausage fingers. You might like it, let me know if you want me to send it on.

Razor: Parker SR1 with Polsilver SI (1)
Brush: daVinci 293
Soap: Seagrapes Studio Lemongrass & Lavender "reject" sample
# of passes: 3 (WTG/XTG/ATG)
Quality of lather: slick, cushiony perfection
Result: BBS

Better. The Polsilver SI is maybe my favorite DE blade, and I think I've dialed in the technique on this thing a bit more (still had a crazy differential between right and left on the WTG pass), but the big surprise today was the soap!

I won a small sample of the Seagrapes soap in a PIF. Apparently, this batch of the soap had way too much lemongrass in it, so they didn't sell it. That was a good move, as the stuff smells exactly like Froot Loops. Not necessarily a bad smell, but not what I want my face to smell like.

I was a bit nervous about the soap at first. It came grated in a zip-loc, and I pressed it into the bottom of a small tin. Usually, when I load my brush I get to a point where the soap gets thicker and starts to resist the brush a bit, and that's about when I stop loading. That never happened here, so I just kept swirling and swirling. It seemed like I was just pushing some wet protolather around the top of the soap. Finally I gave up and brought the brush to my face. Bing, bam, boom--instant slickness. With no effort at all, my face was coated in slick lather that stayed "fresh" throughout each pass. There was plenty of soap for three passes and some touch-up. On the assumption that the stuff they sell smells better, I'm definitely going to pick up a tin or two of Seagrapes Studio soap.

Shaving with the Parker reminds me of shaving with a DE--spending too much time chasing BBS, ending up with a face that feels smooth but slightly punished. For some reason with straights I don't have the same compulsion to obliterate every single hair, I prefer the way my face feels after (even when there is a bit more growth), and I love the experience of shaving with that particular tool. I'm getting really, really close to getting rid of all my DEs so I can try more straights.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go eat a bowl of sugary cereal.

I have a Fromm hair shaper, like a Weck, I got PIF'ed to me by Otto76 I was going to put up a PIF thread once I got done with crazy birthday party travel, but I could send it off to you with 4 blades if you want to give it a try. Only caveat is if you hate it since it was a PIF to me send it back to me or PIF it onward to someone else. I found the shave smooth enough from the blades, but the shank and tang were too short for my sausage fingers. You might like it, let me know if you want me to send it on.

Thanks, I think I'm probably all set for shavettes, though. I'm eager to get back to the real thing.

Thanks, I think I'm probably all set for shavettes, though. I'm eager to get back to the real thing.
I completely understand. I'm going to put the PIF up this week, if you want to enter feel free, I just thought I would offer to the straight razor regulars first. Now to see if I can lure in a straight razor newbie.

Razor: Parker SR1 with SuperMax Titanium
Brush: Omega Bambino
Soap: Arko
A/S:Clubman Special Reserve
# of passes: 3 (WTG/XTG/XTG)
Quality of lather: inconsistent
Result: SAS
Irritation: 1/10

I am convinced that this Parker is bending the blade toward one side. Technique alone cannot explain the marked difference in the ability of the shavette to cut hair on one side vs the other. Does any of you who is experienced with shavettes want to give it a try, if only to prove I'm not nuts?

The Super Max blade was smooth, but hair reduction felt like Zeno's paradox. When using the good side of the Parker, I'd say it was a pretty good experience. The other side felt like it didn't have a blade in it, and I ended up doing some wild contortions to try and use the "good" side on parts of my face that I can really only get comfortably with the "bad" side. That resulted in my one and only spot of irritation, on my right jawline.

I think I'm done with this thing, at least for a while. I might send it back to WCS for a replacement, if I can confirm it is bending the blade.

If I wasn't heading out of town for almost two weeks, starting this Friday, I'd take you up on testing it out and giving my thoughts on it. If you still are looking for another opinion when I get back on August 1st, let me know.

Razor: Parker SR1 with SuperMax Titanium
Brush: Omega Bambino
Soap: Arko
A/S:Clubman Special Reserve
# of passes: 3 (WTG/XTG/XTG)
Result: SAS

I am convinced that this Parker is bending the blade toward one side. Technique alone cannot explain the marked difference in the ability of the shavette to cut hair on one side vs the other. Does any of you who is experienced with shavettes want to give it a try, if only to prove I'm not nuts?

The Super Max blade was smooth, but hair reduction felt like Zeno's paradox. When using the good side of the Parker, I'd say it was a pretty good experience. The other side felt like it didn't have a blade in it, and I ended up doing some wild contortions to try and use the "good" side on parts of my face that I can really only get comfortably with the "bad" side. That resulted in my one and only spot of irritation, on my right jawline.

I think I'm done with this thing, at least for a while. I might send it back to WCS for a replacement, if I can confirm it is bending the blade.

Got nothing to say about the Parker, but good on you for dropping the reference to Zeno. I like metaphysics with my cereal.

Razor: Harmar cast steel wedge 7/8 ("The Old English Razor")
Brush: Kent KB8
Soap: MdC
A/S: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
# of passes: 2.5 (WTG/XTG/XTG neck)
Quality of lather: slick, cushiony perfection

Back from a short but stressful business trip, and four days of using the shavette, this morning's shave was just fantastic. So great to see thick, dark blobs of stubble coming off the razor onto my sponge, and to feel the smooth skin left behind after just one pass.

Razor: J.R. Torrey near wedge 5/8
Soap: Olivia's Seife "King Kong" Crema
A/S: Captain's Choice Cat o' Nine Tails
Irritation: 7/10

Yoinks. First pass went fine, though it did not feel like the Torrey was cutting quite as close as the Harmar did yesterday, even after 40 passes on the Star Shaving strop. Second pass was good, too, but only at about CCS, so I decided to try an ATG pass. Big mistake.

First off, this is the first time I'm using the Olivia's croap, and I just couldn't dial it in. It seemed like 80% of the time my lather was either too wet or too dry, and I kept having to reapply. Even when I got a nice lather going, it would dry out almost immediately. Second, I haven't gotten much sleep the past few nights, and my coordination/focus are not at their peak. Third, the Torrey seems to be losing its edge a bit. Fourth, I know I get great results with two XTG passes, so I should have just kept with what works.

Instead, I irritated the heck out of my neck, and gave myself a couple of nice cuts, including one long one where my angle S-N on the neck was too steep, and the edge came to rest in the skin under my jaw. The blade caught and skipped all over the place -- partly due to the weak lather, and possibly due to the edge needing a bit of a refresh, but mostly due to technique: I can see that my angles are all wrong for ATG passes, and it will take some practice to get that down.

I felt a skip on the downstroke when stropping, though I couldn't see or feel any irregularity in the strop. Then, like a genius, I started looking for the irregularity while also stropping, and the loss of focus resulted in a nice slash. So, back to the sandpaper for this poor strop. I'll give the whole thing a few passes, in the hopes of catching whatever it is that was catching on the Torrey.

I've had my share of those kinds of days. All you can do is regroup, sand the strop, practice with the croap, and move forward. :)

Razor: Harmar cast steel wedge 7/8 ("The Old English Razor")
Brush: Kent KB8
Soap: Musgo Real
# of passes: 2
Method of lather: bowl
Result: CCS

I love shaving my head with a straight. TOER has a bit of trouble maneuvering some of the trickier spots, and I ended up giving myself a nice long weeper behind my right ear, but tonight's head shave definitely made up for this morning's debacle. The alum stung pretty good, but by the time the Cat arrived, he didn't have much to say.

I own two creams, and I prefer O Melhor to Musgo Real.

Quick question for you, when did you start shaving your head and did you do so because you were thinning or because you simply wanted to?

Razor: J.R. Torrey near wedge 5/8
Soap: Olivia's Seife "King Kong" Crema
Irritation: 7/10

Yoinks. First pass went fine, though it did not feel like the Torrey was cutting quite as close as the Harmar did yesterday, even after 40 passes on the Star Shaving strop. Second pass was good, too, but only at about CCS, so I decided to try an ATG pass. Big mistake.

First off, this is the first time I'm using the Olivia's croap, and I just couldn't dial it in. It seemed like 80% of the time my lather was either too wet or too dry, and I kept having to reapply. Even when I got a nice lather going, it would dry out almost immediately. Second, I haven't gotten much sleep the past few nights, and my coordination/focus are not at their peak. Third, the Torrey seems to be losing its edge a bit. Fourth, I know I get great results with two XTG passes, so I should have just kept with what works.

Instead, I irritated the heck out of my neck, and gave myself a couple of nice cuts, including one long one where my angle S-N on the neck was too steep, and the edge came to rest in the skin under my jaw. The blade caught and skipped all over the place -- partly due to the weak lather, and possibly due to the edge needing a bit of a refresh, but mostly due to technique: I can see that my angles are all wrong for ATG passes, and it will take some practice to get that down.

I felt a skip on the downstroke when stropping, though I couldn't see or feel any irregularity in the strop. Then, like a genius, I started looking for the irregularity while also stropping, and the loss of focus resulted in a nice slash. So, back to the sandpaper for this poor strop. I'll give the whole thing a few passes, in the hopes of catching whatever it is that was catching on the Torrey.

I have a bunch of her creams, it took me at least five times to get the lather right on these. Once you do, you'll love it.

Top Bottom