What's new

Tell me what you think of this razor

I've decided to get my feet wet and buy a vintage razor to add to my new Merkur. Anyway, I'd like to try a Gillette NEW.
Any input?

Last edited:
Wait till the auction ends next time before posting a link.

There are plenty of news. Many different variations.
Which one are you looking for?

That version and the SC are the most common and affordable NEWs, you should have no problems finding a decent user grade, or better if that's what you want.

Even if some of the plating is missing they'll still shave wonderfully. You can have them replated at a later stage if you like how they shave. A nickel replate costs 30 bucks and the razor will look better than new.

Avoid bent or broken teeth and you'll be fine.

Yeah it's a pre patents NEW Long Comb, the earlier NEWs made before 1932-'33 didn't have any patents stamped on the baseplate. The case is from an Old Type Brownie set.

No, NEWs don't have date codes. Some Deluxe models were serial numbered and those we know they were made in 1930.

As for the others usually it's just pre or post 1932-'33, depending on whether they have the patents stamped or not.

That's a great price on one of the true classics. Besides the obvious benefit of being a great shaving razor, I got something more from my New. It was my first open comb razor, and using it greatly improved my technique (and not just with it, but with all of my other razors as well). Prior to using it, I had some trouble finding the correct blade angle. The New helped me dial it in. When I had it just right, no tracks were left in the lather as I shaved. After mastering the New, I went back and re-tried my Tech. I had been unable to get anything resembling a close shave prior to the New, but found I got BBS shaves with it afterwards. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Thanks guys.

I hope I made a good choice, I'd like to try some of the other Gillette razors too, maybe a super speed. On this NEW the seller looks pretty solid, he disclosed that there seems to be a hairline crack on the end of the handle but I couldn't see it from the photos.

One more question: Where is the best thread that explains how to clean these vintage Gillettes?

One more question: Where is the best thread that explains how to clean these vintage Gillettes?

Looks like it still has some gold wash on the bottom of the baseplate, so there you'll need to be a bit more careful.

All you really need is hot soapy water (dish soap will do) and an old toothbrush. Clean it up and shave away.

I'm always apprehensive about online auctions, but a $15.50 mistake cannot sting too badly. After watching ebay I think the price was fair, probably could have paid a couple of dollars less, but when I factored in the shipping I think it was an okay deal. It seems like there are some vintage razors that are in the under $40 range, a few in the under $20 range, and a lot of them in the over $80 range. I suspect that the best finds are probably at an estate sale or garage sale. The antique people are well aware of this market, this is something I learned pretty fast. I did find a gold Gillette that was in good shape in the under $20 range. I had no clue what it was, but after looking at photo after photo of Gillettes, I think it was an Old. The handle was short, hollow, and the razor was very light.

Looks like it still has some gold wash on the bottom of the baseplate, so there you'll need to be a bit more careful.

All you really need is hot soapy water (dish soap will do) and an old toothbrush. Clean it up and shave away.

Thanks for this nuclearblast. I'll be careful to try to retain as much of that gold as possible, I'm thinking a good long soak, then light brushing or even rubbing with a cotton rag.

Top Bottom