What's new

Tell me the difference between Expensive razors and all the others?

It's a Circlette. Made for women but I still shave with one once in a while for variety. I've got two if you want to try one.
Very cool, and nice to see the extra pictures of it. Quite the unusual thing. It is kind of you to offer, but I'll pass on trying it out. I'd probably want to end up owning one. I got rid of my collection a number of years ago, and one sub-section of it was ladies vintage razors. Something about things being miniature always caught my eye.

Very cool, and nice to see the extra pictures of it. Quite the unusual thing. It is kind of you to offer, but I'll pass on trying it out. I'd probably want to end up owning one. I got rid of my collection a number of years ago, and one sub-section of it was ladies vintage razors. Something about things being miniature always caught my eye.
Have you ever had the opportunity to actually shave with one of the miniature ladies types? I don't have an unused blade to try on mine. The photo is of 2 Miss Evans Little Shaver ladies sets with a Bigelow Perkins folding razor which holds a current blade. I find it hard to believe the Evans sets were a not a joke being too small for anywhere except for maybe a ladies upper lip. The cases are tiny with at least 2 different case embellishments. Beautiful design.
100_5381.JPG
100_5380.JPG
100_5379.JPG

Have you ever had the opportunity to actually shave with one of the miniature ladies types? I don't have an unused blade to try on mine. The photo is of 2 Miss Evans Little Shaver ladies sets with a Bigelow Perkins folding razor which holds a current blade. I find it hard to believe the Evans sets were a not a joke being too small for anywhere except for maybe a ladies upper lip. The cases are tiny with at least 2 different case embellishments. Beautiful design.
I did try a few out. One had brand specific blades. The blade wrapper was already opened, with one used with a bit of rust, but the other ones were fine. I tried and then cleaned/dried it. It was interesting, it was one of the smaller ones, so I think probably was only ever meant for upper lip/chin. I also used a couple of others I think, but definitely used a Nymph a number of times. I regret very few things about giving up my entire collection, but I do wish I had kept hold of one of the Nymphs.

I don't recall the Evans name, but the brass razors with the rounded rings..it seems familiar. I'm not sure. I definitely didn't have a case like that.. its exquisite. I had a Curvfit, an older one that came with the original instructions. And I had several Laurels...a Myatt in a little 1x1 inch case with an almost faux leather look to it. I had a razor a bit smaller than that one with no case. I had any number of Kewties and Nymphs in different case colours.

Not mine, but I had similar. ...Wait! too funny, as I was grabbing these to post, I realized they were off a Blade & Badger post, and posted by the person I sent my collection to, to put up on the Saint Sue Charity Auction, and the date seems right... so, I'm these were probably mine! Too funny.
1654888900531.png
1654888988719.png
1654888925399.png

1654889071616.png
1654889164912.png
1654889264670.png

Attachments

• 1654889034098.png
    1654889034098.png
    273.3 KB · Views: 2

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Some posts removed that were completely out of line.
What's almost as bad, is that despite numerous people reading those posts and even commenting on them, only 1 member reported them.
Thank you for that.

If there is something you see that isn't right, say something- but say it to the Mod Team by reporting it.
Don't engage with those who post inappropriately.
If you quote an inappropriate post, it's just one more that we have to delete.

Some posts removed that were completely out of line.
What's almost as bad, is that despite numerous people reading those posts and even commenting on them, only 1 member reported them.
Thank you for that.

If there is something you see that isn't right, say something- but say it to the Mod Team by reporting it.
Don't engage with those who post inappropriately.
It's upsetting that I created a thread asking one question. And the thread had plenty of pages that were informative. And then (I don't even know how) it was turned into that.
Sad!
I appreciate the long response that @desrgrl posted.
I just noticed that it was removed as well. Hopefully it was up long enough to be read by those that post stuff like that!

Now let's get back to the topic at hand!🙂

Last edited:
It's upsetting that I created a thread asking one question. And the thread had plenty of pages that were informative. And then (I don't even know how) it was turned into that.
Sad!
I appreciate the long response that @desrgrl posted.
I just noticed that it was removed as well. Hopefully it was up long enough to be read by those that post stuff like that!

Now let's get back to the topic at hand!🙂
Threads, for better sometimes, and sometimes worse, have a life of their own.
I'm glad my post was seen positively, and my thought was to put my thoughts out there on that, in part because I'm used to being on a lot of forums where it isn't usual to contact mods, and I forget that that should really be the first action, as @luvmysuper has said. I had to go afk for awhile, and everything had been tidied up by the time I got back.

I'm wondering, back to topic at hand, if the various responses have formed into an opinion on it. For me (and I think I posted earlier about the idea) is how good is good? I'm the sort of person, that if I have a great shave, how much better could it possibly be? That said, obviously some have posted that they had a better shave with say a $300 razor than one they had that was $100... but I can't comprehend that kind of difference. I could conceive of having razors that give a better shave then mine (Slim and a Superspeed Flare), and I may very well eventually try a more expensive razor, and I expect it might give a better shave, but then again, I had an early IKon and hated it. My guideline is don't spend more than I am willing to risk on it not being a good fit, and what I can get on a re-sell. After a perfectly good shave, I think I'm one of those that would spend at least a bit more money for something that had an aesthetic that fit with my thoughts/feelings on shaving.... the 'shaving ritual'...as some put it.

So, narrow your list at all? New things you hadn't thought of until now to consider? Are we all just reaching for our own, individual unicorns?

Threads, for better sometimes, and sometimes worse, have a life of their own.
I'm glad my post was seen positively, and my thought was to put my thoughts out there on that, in part because I'm used to being on a lot of forums where it isn't usual to contact mods, and I forget that that should really be the first action, as @luvmysuper has said. I had to go afk for awhile, and everything had been tidied up by the time I got back.

I'm wondering, back to topic at hand, if the various responses have formed into an opinion on it. For me (and I think I posted earlier about the idea) is how good is good? I'm the sort of person, that if I have a great shave, how much better could it possibly be? That said, obviously some have posted that they had a better shave with say a $300 razor than one they had that was $100... but I can't comprehend that kind of difference. I could conceive of having razors that give a better shave then mine (Slim and a Superspeed Flare), and I may very well eventually try a more expensive razor, and I expect it might give a better shave, but then again, I had an early IKon and hated it. My guideline is don't spend more than I am willing to risk on it not being a good fit, and what I can get on a re-sell. After a perfectly good shave, I think I'm one of those that would spend at least a bit more money for something that had an aesthetic that fit with my thoughts/feelings on shaving.... the 'shaving ritual'...as some put it.

So, narrow your list at all? New things you hadn't thought of until now to consider? Are we all just reaching for our own, individual unicorns?
I started the thread when I started to entertain the idea of an expensive razor. Up to now, I had only bought razors that were considered cheap & midrange (pricewise). Fast forward to another thread I had created for the purpose of gathering opinions on the razors that interested me. In the end I bought an Above the Tie Windsor (The USA made one). I don't know if it's luck but it shaves better than all my other razors. So for me the upcharge was worth it. At least in this case, I discovered that the higher price gave me a better result. And don't get me wrong, my other razors do the job but not as efficiently & smooth. Interestingly enough, I have on order two more razors that would be considered between midrange and expensive. I'm not just sticking to one price range just because it worked out for me this time. I'm also open to anything that works well and can obviously save me money. The good thing about said expensive razors is that if it doesn't work for you, you can always easily sell it!
My opinion is: Don't let that be something that holds you back from buying one that you like.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have an AC single edge razor... it's about smack dab in the middle for price. There aren't that many from which to choose.

I know nothing about DE razors and am unlikely to explore them. There are too many choices for my poor little, tired brain... then there are 109 razor blades from which to choose.

What do you mean by expensive razor? A modern titanium model or the rarest Gillette double ring? For me, it is definitely a double ring, as it has historical and antique value. Plus, it's small and agile. I decided to buy one for myself last year, but postponed the purchase because in my country there has been a war for more than 100 days and I don’t have time for that. Why am I doing this? Under certain circumstances, even the cheapest razor is a joy, and you don’t feel the difference. The transience of the moment is an axiom.

Anything considered high tier above the common lower cost razors!
Well, once there was a Muhle R41 series with a panorama of London and Berlin. As for me, it is a very bright thing. I have a connection with Britain, all the more I could buy an English version in London. But I missed it with my obsession with vintage razors. Sometimes I regret it.

You and EVERYONE ELSE ON THIS HERE Badger and Blade!

Do you ALSO tell yer wife that she can sell all yer stuff after yer dead, for big money? Yeah, I thought so.....
True, although humorous. I will have to inventory everything and estimate values so when I am gone my wife can get appropriate amounts for the collection. I would roll in my grave if she got a few bucks for a rare collectible set at the church rummage sale.

$25 for this one? I get chills just thinking about it.

IMG_2195.jpeg

Last edited:
True, although humorous. I will have to inventory everything and estimate values so when I am gone my wife can get appropriate amounts for the collection. I would roll in my grave if she got a few bucks for a rare collectible set at the church rummage sale.

$25 for this one? I get chills just thinking about it.

View attachment 1471732
I have thought of creating a document with a page for each razor showing a picture, description, my cost and an estimated range of value. Then I realized it probably wouldn’t matter and my kids would likely not do anything with it. Since I plan on having another 30 years or so, based on family history, I will have time to reconsider if my children show the least interest.

My 2 cents. To me razors are a lot like golf. My golf game is only average but improving. If I were to play at the most expensive courses (eg. Shadow Creek golf course in Nevada $1000), I would be entirely over-matched. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the difficulty of the course. I do, however, enjoy the courses pegged to my skill level (which costs about $30). Now if the highly skilled player played my course, he or she would be bored out of their minds. For me that's how it is with razors. As of now, I don't know enough about the Rocnels of the world, but I sure as heck can admire them. My shaving technique is improving, but I'm also nursing a new shaving scar on my chin. The way I figure it, as my skill level, technique, and understanding increases, so will my ability to appreciate finer razors.

Admire the Rocnels, but for their craftsmanship. If anyone can prove that they can actually shave better than acknowledged classics like the New SC, many would be very impressed.

Admire the Rocnels, but for their craftsmanship. If anyone can prove that they can actually shave better than acknowledged classics like the New SC, many would be very impressed.
I think the beautiful craftmanship is a given with many high cost modern razors. But I've learned in the short time that I've been DE shaving that "The better or best shave" is totally YMMV!
And psychology probably plays a role as well in how good of a shave that "expensive" razor gives.
Using my short list of high quality razors, I can attest to this because of the example I gave today on another thread.
My Karve CB brass shaves just as good as my ATT Windsor! (no psychology involved!) They just both work as good as the other.
One is a $200 razor and the other was less than $60!
I believe that something like a Rocnel would probably be a purchase that would showcase pride of ownership above the shave quality.
Now, that the owner would believe that or not is a different story, LOL!!😉

Top Bottom