What's new

Tell me the difference between Expensive razors and all the others?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Shaving is only a spectator sport if you watch people shave on YouTube... for the rest of us, it's subjective. There are some things you can only know by trying.

But we can all decide what we want to try and what we want to avoid. We don't have to justify it... these are personal decisions. if someone wants to try "cost is no object" razors, that should be fine with everyone. If someone else sets a limit on how much they'll spend for just one razor, that should also be fine. What about total expenditures on shaving equipment in one calendar year? No problem... whatever we decide should be fine as long as the purchases don't negatively affect our families or get ourselves in some other kind of trouble.

And We are supposed to accept your judgement that the expensive one is better. Can it be worth more money because of materials and machining/polishing time - sure. Is it worth more money because it shaves better - where is the empirical proof?
I could never justify spending that much money on a razor, but if it means that much to someone else then more power to them. I would love to try a really nice, really expensive razor but I just don’t have the disposable income to justify it when my Tech and Henson will do the job. BUT I’m very glad that people who do decide to spend their disposable income on nice razor enjoy them. And I say that you should relish every moment of it! 👍🏼

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I agree you can’t tell how a razor will shave until you try it. Spent the money on a Rex Ambassador and hated it. Traded for a Lupo 72 and a Karve CB w/C plate both of which shave the whiskers off my ugly face worlds better than the Rex did.

Eventually I will try a Timeless bronze (I plan on ordering both SB and OC to see which suits me best then return the other). Due to unplanned financial obligations, I had to postpone any significant purchases, but I’ll get one eventually.

I personally don’t plan to ever spend over $200 on a razor, but I don’t have a problem with others doing so. Buy what you like and enjoy it.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I agree you can’t tell how a razor will shave until you try it. Spent the money on a Rex Ambassador and hated it. Traded for a Lupo 72 and a Karve CB w/C plate both of which shave the whiskers off my ugly face worlds better than the Rex did.

Eventually I will try a Timeless bronze (I plan on ordering both SB and OC to see which suits me best then return the other). Due to unplanned financial obligations, I had to postpone any significant purchases, but I’ll get one eventually.

I personally don’t plan to ever spend over $200 on a razor, but I don’t have a problem with others doing so. Buy what you like and enjoy it.
All the Timeless razors are excellent. Their two bronze razors are completely different models. The solid bar 0.38 gap is a mild razor and the open comb 0.78 gap is one of the most close-shaving razors you can get. Opposite ends of the scale, really. Like buying a rabbit and a shark.

All the Timeless razors are excellent. Their two bronze razors are completely different models. The solid bar 0.38 gap is a mild razor and the open comb 0.78 gap is one of the most close-shaving razors you can get. Opposite ends of the scale, really. Like buying a rabbit and a shark.
,,,and that’s why I will order both. To see where I land in that spectrum.

The Buy Sell Trade forum is a great place to find out what you like. Then safely move it on or trade it for something else. I tried a Wolfman head for $250 shipped to try before committing. I sold my whole Wolfman that was closer to $400 with the stand in basic brushed. I use the head on a fat Tech handle. It was the lightest, widest handle I had that would fit. I am keeping my Karve CB in G SB and F OC. The rest of my modern razors will find new homes. I will never buy a new full razor again if I can help it. Modern handles are too heavy. I still watch for vintage razors, but, have sold off most of those too.

If you wish to believe that all razors shave the same then you can. But they still don’t.
Not what I have been saying, if you read my comments. I have no issue with peoople buying nice heirloom items, but I question that they are all better at the job they were designed for than cheaper razors. What you are saying is that you are certain that expensive razors are “better” than others. What I asked for was your proof that they are better at removing hair.

The answer might lie in Thorstein Veblen's "Theory of the Leisure Class".

i looked at the machining on my Lupo Al, and decided it was good enough. I have a Merkur Progress, and I'm tempted by the Pearl Flexi, but I can't justify the cost of a second adjustable razor.

. Charles
The Flexi is the best adjustable I've tried. It's brass and the build quality is outstanding (It's crazy that it costs less than $80) Sold my Variant & Futur and stayed with the Pearl!
I considered the Progress at one point but the handle is very subjective.

Last edited:
Not what I have been saying, if you read my comments. I have no issue with peoople buying nice heirloom items, but I question that they are all better at the job they were designed for than cheaper razors. What you are saying is that you are certain that expensive razors are “better” than others. What I asked for was your proof that they are better at removing hair.
I didn’t say that all expensive razors perform better - I went out of my way to say that is not always the case, and I talked only about specific razors that do perform significantly better and I believe will for most people (the evidence for that is what they report). But it is frequently the case that expensive razors will shave better - they really have to (at least for some users) to justify the prices and meet expectations.

The proof is that when I shave with a Sailor I get a completely smooth shave that is still so 12+ hours later (if I press on my skin and stroke against the grain I cannot feel any stubble), I can get it more easily with only minimal buffing, and the shave still feels quite smooth and leaves no irritation.

Other razors give me different results and feel. Some closer to the Sailor, some not. For example one of my favourite razors is my Gillette Red Tip - it is nicely mild and has a good feel and leaves my skin feeling good. But it certainly does not give me a 12+ hour smooth shave, and if I tried for that I would have to buff so much that my skin would be red and I would get weepers. And even then I still start to feel stubble emerging after 2 or 3 hours. It isn’t capable of shaving as close as the Sailor.

That is proof. It is an experiment that is repeatable by anyone using a Sailor and comparing the results with their other razors. Your mileage may vary, to an extent, but most users will find the Sailor shaves significantly better than most other razors.

We usually measure the quality of shaves by a combination of closeness (efficiency - how smooth is the skin and for how long) and smoothness (how mild is the razor on the skin and does it cause irritation or weepers). I used to think that all razors were approximately on the same continuum - that a more efficient razor will inevitably be less smooth. Mostly that is the case, with some being a little better than others. But then I tried certain razors that defy that relationship. The Sailor is as efficient as my most efficient razors but is also smoother than most of my razors. The Karve Overlander is probably the smoothest razor I have and it is almost impossible to get irritation or nicks, but it still gives me a completely smooth shave lasting 10-12 hours, and only my most efficient razors will beat that (most of those at the cost of a much more aggressive feeling shave). The Karve is under-priced and I believe it would sell just as well if the price was double or triple (and maybe it will be someday, or it will force down the prices of other razors that aren’t as good).

Again, anyone can repeat the experiment with a Karve Overlander and compare the smoothness and efficiency with their other razors.

I feel like you want to know why a particular razor shaves better than another, but there are probably very many factors in the razor design that affect it. But it seems like razors are improving right now and manufacturers are able to design better razors, perhaps by educated trial and error with CNC machined prototypes.

Increasing the price of a razor obviously doesn’t change the shave. But that’s the wrong way to look at it. The point is that a razor needs to be better to justify a high price, otherwise it will not sell over time. Shaving performance isn’t the only factor that can justify price - looks matter too - but it is one important factor. At a certain price level buyers expect both exceptional performance and great looks.

Take the example of Wolfman - they used to sell their high-polished steel razor for $150 and many people found it so much better than similarly priced razors that the demand was insane and the exact same razor now costs $720 (CAD 925), and there is still a waiting list. I don’t think it costs Wolfman more to make the razor - the price is driven by the quality relative to other razors. Part of the price difference is for the looks and the mirror polish, but many users will tell you they shave a lot better than any $150 razor. FWIW, my Wolfman WR2 is indeed a very good shaver but not (for me) as good as some others (maybe it just doesn’t quite suit me), but (for me) my WR1 is up there with my very best razors for the balance of shaving efficiency and smoothness. Our personal preferences, hair, skin, technique all play into this, but whatever our needs are there are razors that perform much better than most, and for this reason they will tend to be priced higher.

And all razors, at any price, will shave. But not equally well. Only you can judge if the prices are worth it to you for the amount of difference in efficiency and/or smoothness and/or looks. And, unfortunately, you can only really know how well a razor shaves by trying it, although you can research reviews and pay attention to what the reviewers are comparing against and what they describe as the differences.

Last edited:
When I bought my first rocnel sailor, I was terrified that it wouldn't shave well for me.. A big outlay. Now I have 4 of them. It's always a special occasion for me using them in a shave. It's an enjoyment I get and love. I get a beautiful shave with a beautiful razor. The tatara maramusa also gives me beautiful shaves. I also enjoy using the homelike taiga. When I want to get a fast no fuss shave, out comes the henson titanium.

I agree with being scared to buying a wolfman. Still not sure which gap to go for. I have the ++ plates on both my carbon razors which shave me better than the standard plate.

I agree with being scared to buying a wolfman. Still not sure which gap to go for. I have the ++ plates on both my carbon razors which shave me better than the standard plate.
The Wolfman is a state of the art razor. Best finish and tight tolerances I’ve saw.

But there is a caveat, that razor has a big learning curve. Requires a super steep angle. When you use a very steep and seems that the razor don’t have a blade inside. It’s really easy to over-shave because it’s so smooth. If you shave shallow there a lot of blade feel.

I’m not mastered the Wolfman yet. But is promising. If you shave steep, it’s super smooth. But resist the temptation to over-shave. If you master the angle, you can modify to a shallower angle to do the buffing.

The WR2 requires a unusual angle like the CB Karve. It’s not the usual 30 degrees razor.

It’s very difficult to find the right gap reading the posts.

Expensive razors are a lot easier on the eyes. A cheap razor will always look like a cheap razor even with aftermarket handles and heads. Kinda like supercharging a Pinto station wagon, you can but why. Nothing wrong with ugly razors; I used them on and off for years when SR shaving wasn’t feasible. I have a choice nowadays so no more ugly razors standing around my sink anymore. I still have an ugly one that still resides under the sink out of view🥺 works great but I get little pleasure from using it.

Always the same discussion about cheap vs expensive. The expensives are better, period. If a company sell a low quality razor for big bucks, in some time nobody will buy it.

In the last 5 years, small companies launch products with better clamping, tight tolerances, 316 steel.

The prices are self adjusting.

1. Vintage razors.

Score a brass made Fatboy for $10.00 … those days are gone. It’s harder and harder to get a bargain on the vintage market.

2. Mid range mass market brands.

A Brand new Zamak Merkur 34HD is now 50.00. A Zamak Progress is 70.00. For this price, put more 20.00 and get a Flex Pearl. For 50.00 you can get a brand new Rockwell 6C with six different gaps. Now you can buy a 3D printed Era for 75.00. A Fatip is made of brass, but has a thin plating and low tolerances. Razorock crushes in this price range. Why buy a Merkur if a small company have CNC billet razors for 60.00 - 80.00?

3. High end mass market brands.

130.00 for a Rocca with the beautiful birch handle is attractive. But the head is simple. The EJ 3ONE is 125.00 and have a aluminum handle. At this price you have Tatara and Karve.

4. High end niche brands.

Blackland, Karve, Tatara, ATT, CG, etc. All have very innovative designs, better clamping, tighter tolerances, customization options, exotic materials. All these came with a cost.

5. Uber brands.

Sailor, Wolfman, etc. It’s expensive, but nobody can do what these guy do. Why there aren’t a Chinese clone of those razor?

In general, the cheap razor are too mild. I have a KCG I get for 10.00 on sale and I use regularly, but my BB shaves closer. The bargains like the Fatboy are getting more and more expensive. Most cost effective options are in the 80.00 to 160.00 bracket. If you can buy a 160.00 razor, you can push more cash into it. It’s a product that last a lifetime.

Last edited:
Why buy a Merkur if a small company have CNC billet razors for 60.00 - 80.00?
I can answer that one, at least (great post, by the way).

The Merkur Progress has an ivory plastic adjustment knob, which is super-cool. Also it is what my grandfather shaved with, which is somehow much more meaningful for me than any vintage Gillette, and has the additional advantage of being available brand new. The Progress is also more shiny than any mirror-polished Wolfman.

CNC is nice and everything, but those other razors don’t have an ivory plastic knob.

When I went back to traditional DE shaving, I found what I had considered a chore had now become something I actually looked forward to doing. So the question if a cheap razor can give me an acceptable shave vs an expensive razor giving me a proportionally better shave misses the point. The point for me is how much pleasure it gives me.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I can easily spend $400 on one dinner with friends. For one evening. One dinner. Maybe two hours of pleasure. But $400 is ‘too much to spend’ for a finely-crafted shaving instrument that will bring me pleasure for 20 minutes every day, 7 days a week, for many years or decades? I must be dense, because I cannot understand that objection.

Top Bottom