What's new

Tell me the difference between Expensive razors and all the others?

Also, outside of the Fatip handles, you really don't have a lot of options, which is also a big deal for those who have one or two favorite handles. The blade misalignment is also debatable. Some folks don't care if the blade is absolutely even on both sides while that makes others crazy if they can't do it.

I think the Fatip razors are really nice, but if the company spends a bit more time to improve them a bit more to absolutely eliminate the blade alignment issues as well as making them so they can use pretty much every handle, then they would become an absolute must even if the price is increased a bit.
The Fatip design is a throwback, for better or worse. The alignment procedure is similar to a Gillette Old Type. Those razors have a similar loose tolerance between the blade and the posts. Loading upside down works on all mine, but I don't measure it, just go by eye. I'm not OCD about this.

Handles can be a downside, for sure. I've been using the Fatip wood handles. Pretty nice weight and balance, but non-standard threading, as noted. I also like the Piccolo handle, which is a bit too small for some.

To put the discussion in a bigger frame, even with a razor in the 1k range you'll be better off financially in the long run than with a cartridge razor. The razor itself will keep a good part of its initial value and the blades are cheap.

So, if you like to have one, go get one.

I'm sorry for your loss.

:sob:

There's Fatip. $20 to $30.

1. Clamping. Excellent, the entire blade is supported nearly out to the edge.
2. Gap. Suitable for aggressive shaves.
3. Alignment. Load upside down, so the blade will center itself. People complain about "alignment", but these complaints are way overblown unless you are talking about a defective unit.
4. Materials. Solid brass, plated with nickel.

It's a good family of razors, even though the cost is low.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I like expensive razors, you like cheap razors. Does your frugality extend to shaving soaps as well? Do you only shave with Arko shaving sticks?

I guess we can agree to disagree. I like expensive razors, you like cheap razors. Does your frugality extend to shaving soaps as well? Do you only shave with Arko shaving sticks?

Discussing razors, blades and other shaving related stuff is one thing, but Arko is just a whole another topic of discussion, so please keep him out of all of this.

43434bzbe45bzb5zb.jpg

I just think razors are tools. The concept is value, not cost. Vintage razors are also fun from a historical angle, IMO. Still, I think my most expensive new razor was around $30. It shaves very well.

For soaps, I was willing to spring for Klar Seifen (on sale, BTW). Other soaps could be considered moderate cost such as Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac, Provence Sante, Haslinger and Cella Extra Extra Bio. I think there's a stick of Arko somewhere at the back of the cabinet.

Buy once, cry once. I see folks buying tons of low and mid tier DEs; they’ll get the job done for sure. I bought one high-end DE with stand, instead of having a drawer full of average razors. Same with my daily driver SR; I went big instead of a bunch of garage sale SRs. My higher end razors bring me instant pleasure every time they get used; bonus they look great displayed next to the sink. If folks add up all the money they spent chasing around average razors, I bet it would equal 2 or 3 high-end razors. Have fun collecting and shaving!
Yep. Thats what I did and I am so glad I just bought the expensive one. It's just amazing. I am sure I could have gotten good results from others. The handle being so grippy even when my hands are soapy and wet or even using it under water is fabulous.

I just think razors are tools. The concept is value, not cost. Vintage razors are also fun from a historical angle, IMO. Still, I think my most expensive new razor was around $30. It shaves very well.
There certainly is truth in the statement; 'you get what you pay for', but there comes a point where intrinsic value ends, and mere expense begins.
I recently received an email from Amazon with a 'suggestion for me', which was a 60 dollar bottle of aftershave balm. Now I'm fairly sure that it's of better quality than the 10 dollar bottle, which I love. But fifty dollars better? I doubt it! :001_rolle

Yep. Thats what I did and I am so glad I just bought the expensive one. It's just amazing. I am sure I could have gotten good results from others. The handle being so grippy even when my hands are soapy and wet or even using it under water is fabulous.
It’s the little details sometimes that increase the usability and satisfaction from a simple razor that make the price a secondary factor. Happy shaves.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It’s the little details sometimes that increase the usability and satisfaction from a simple razor that make the price a secondary factor. Happy shaves.
My razor is probably in the middle somewhere.... around $160 with the matching stand. I don't regret the cost at all.

The thing is... variety is a big deal for some people. So some buy large numbers of less expensive razors... others buy a large number of mid range razors... and of course, some people own quite a few of the very top razors out there.

We are all different. I was pondering this since a lot of us have been reading LRod's search for his upper tier razor. I tend to stay with one thing that satisfies me... in a lot of areas. Over the years, we've collected a few things for accents in our home. We've had many of them for decades now but they are eclectic so we never tire of them.

As I've mentioned many times here... I went on a search for synth brushes and finally found one that equaled or beat my first one. But then I started thinking about boars and mixed hair knots. Do I need more brushes? Of course not... but I wanted to try different things. Experimentation can be part of the fun..... but if you find something that works and you don't have a need to play around with different options, that works too.

I enjoy reading about the journeys of others. It's fun for me, watching what other people discover. And if I choose to experiment, I can get sound ideas based on the experiences of others... saves time... and usually a lot of money, because you end up with something you really enjoy.

My razor is probably in the middle somewhere.... around $160 with the matching stand. I don't regret the cost at all.

The thing is... variety is a big deal for some people. So some buy large numbers of less expensive razors... others buy a large number of mid range razors... and of course, some people own quite a few of the very top razors out there.

We are all different. I was pondering this since a lot of us have been reading LRod's search for his upper tier razor. I tend to stay with one thing that satisfies me... in a lot of areas. Over the years, we've collected a few things for accents in our home. We've had many of them for decades now but they are eclectic so we never tire of them.

As I've mentioned many times here... I went on a search for synth brushes and finally found one that equaled or beat my first one. But then I started thinking about boars and mixed hair knots. Do I need more brushes? Of course not... but I wanted to try different things. Experimentation can be part of the fun..... but if you find something that works and you don't have a need to play around with different options, that works too.

I enjoy reading about the journeys of others. It's fun for me, watching what other people discover. And if I choose to experiment, I can get sound ideas based on the experiences of others... saves time... and usually a lot of money, because you end up with something you really enjoy.
An enjoyable hobby for sure. I‘ve been blessed with outstanding results, except for a couple of soaps. I am not one for experimentation; my kit is pretty basic and dialed in at this point. Enjoy the journey!

There is also one more reason to think about buying expensive premium material razor. It’s after reading some Zamak-hate threads here on B&B and understanding that all Zamaks are probably already rotting in your drawer 😀

Seriously, until this forum I thought my R89/41 zamaks (didn’t even know that word) are indestructible. Now my future razor will be SS or better.

There is also one more reason to think about buying expensive premium material razor. It’s after reading some Zamak-hate threads here on B&B and understanding that all Zamaks are probably already rotting in your drawer 😀

Seriously, until this forum I thought my R89/41 zamaks (didn’t even know that word) are indestructible. Now my future razor will be SS or better.

It's not that zamak is fragile and that it might roth, but also that since it's made in molds it doesn't have the same precision and tight tolerance as a well made CNC machined razor. That doesn't necessarily make zamak razors bad, but some folks want to own a more precise and as perfectly made as possible razor, while others just want to have a razor to shave with and they don't care that much if the quality of the zamak razors isn't consistant.

The other thing is that the more precise made razors were not something everyone can own 10 or more years ago, since only a few few companies who made such razors existed back then and the prices were much higher and the idea of having a stainless steel razor back then was the equivalent of owning a high end titanium razor right now and a lot of people were either forced to use vintage razors or modern zamak razors.

As we all know, things have changed and now stainless steel razors (in general) are no longer seen as luxurious or as premium, unless they were made by some famous manufacturer with a limited number of razors. The other reason why I no longer see any point of buying zamak razors, is because there are plenty of stainless razors for around or less than $50 for which a lot of zamak razors are sold and it's a no brainer for me and I guess everyone else to grab a stainless razor instead of a zamak.

But that's just me thinking out loud and I think everyone can make up his own mind whatever zamak razors are worth buying or not, so YMMV.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
So my DE wet shaving Journey started with a Merkur 23C. Since then I've acquired normal to mid level/price razors. Here's all of them:

Merkur 23C
Merkur 33C
Parker 97R
Parker Variant (sold)
Merkur Futur (sold)
Pearl Flexi
Feather Popular
Razorock Lupo DE Aluminum
Razorock Lupo .72 SS
The "Winning" Razor
Yaqi slant

Now I've become interested (or RAD) in the next level of razors. I've been researching and I'm looking at Yates, Timeless, ATT, Karve, Blackland, Tatara etc..
What I'd love to know is what makes these worth their cost (besides name) as compared to some lower cost machined razors?
For example, my Lupo 72 seems incredibly well built, finished and has incredibly tight tolerances but I paid less than $80 for it! And my Winning razor is made by Yates and it's flawless!
I've never personally seen, touched or used a "top of the line" razor so I'd love to know why I might spend $150++ on a razor and what makes them worth it?
Then their are even more expensive options like Wolfman, Carbon, H&S, PILS, Rocnel, etc..
So the bottom line is, what makes the expensive razors "more" special besides the fact that they have a "name" and shimmer involved?

I'd love to hear everyone's take on this before I finally splurge on one!

LRod

So...here's my two cents on this topic. It's a good thread and a good question and it's been asked/posted before. I'm going to use one of the razors the OP listed as an example. I have a RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72. it's a great razor...a smooth and easy shaver that's capable of DFS/BBS almost every time I shave with it. If I compare that razor with my Wolfman WR1 SS SB .74, it comes close to the Wolfman, but it's not quite as good. The Lupo is an excellent shave experience, but the Wolfman edges it out. So...what does that mean? The Wolfman is more efficient while being just as smooth and easy to use.

Now...here's the question. Is it worth it? Well...only the individual can answer that question. If I bought the Lupo and never went any further...I would be very happy and satisfied with my shaves. It really is a gem. But...I'm on a quest. The quest is...is there a better shave experience out there than the one I'm currently getting? And that's why I pulled the trigger on two Wolfman razors. And what I found out was...these are better than what I was getting. Now...some folks may not be willing to part with that much money for a slightly better shave experience. And that's ok. But some folks will go for it. Whatever the reasons may be in either case. And that's my two cents.

Just buy a Rockwell 6C or 6S, 6 plates -> u can find the plates that work for you. For me the 4 plate is ideal.
But i guess the Rockwell is not a real high end razor.
Or an adjustable razor maybe or a slant razor, i use my Razorock German 37 slant more than my beloved Rockwell 6C now because its more efficient and almost just as smooth (i use a shallow angle with it).

Before buying a really high end razor , you should be able to test one from a friend or so. Only then you will be able to know if it works great for you. Spending over 200€ or more on a razor that doesn't work for your skin is quite a risk, unless you have loads of money of course . :welcoming:

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I actually agree with both of you, cause you guys pretty much said the same thing. I started this journey with quality, I didn't want to go Zamak. I started with a Feather AS-D2, its made out of 316L stainless steel. Then I made the next leap, to a Rex Ambassador, which is also made out of 316L stainless steel, but is a higher end adjustable.

Then I wanted the Merkur Futur, which is a brass razor as I understand it, and mine is matt-chrome plated. Since it is plated, I fully expect it to lose its plating eventually. But neither of the previous razors mentioned, are last multiple lifetimes type of razors, their not holy grail razors. But for the most part, you can consider the Rex Ambassador and the Feather AS-D2 as quality.

I wanted to get one more razor before I ended my RAD. And I chose to end my RAD journey, with the Timeless Titanium TI95 razor. Now that is a huge step up, because were no longer talking about plated razors, zamak razors, brass razors, stainless razors. Were now talking about titanium! Titanium, the strength of steel, but much lighter.

A material so high end, that water can make contact with it, and it never fears to rust! It don't really get any better then titanium guys. Once you have a titanium razor, its the thing that finally cools your jets, and you feel like you finally made it, to your holy grail razor. And finally you feel like your let off the RAD hook.

Only to fall into the rabbit hole deeper with everything else though 😝

For soaps, I was willing to spring for Klar Seifen (on sale, BTW). Other soaps could be considered moderate cost such as Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac, Provence Sante, Haslinger and Cella Extra Extra Bio. I think there's a stick of Arko somewhere at the back of the cabinet.
I don’t want to even know what I’ve spent on “tools” over the years. Kline, Mac, and Snap-On but they work every time without fear of something failing at the worst possible time. I could have went with a Dollar General toolkit, but pretty unprofessional IMHO to if I show up representing as professional tradesman with my kids play tools. I treat my shaving the same way. I love this hobby because everyone can take different viewpoints, but we all get along nicely. Enjoy your weekend shaves!

I think sometimes, the more expensive items have an advantage over the less expensive items, but it depends, obviousl
In other words, sometimes it's more than just perceived value, ofttimes not. One good example is stereo/audiophile products.
I really like this analogy. Way back in the day (mid 90s) my boyfriend of the time wanted to blow over $200 on speakers. In some people's world, that would be a paltry amount, even back then. However he was a student, and I was substitute teaching, we didn't live together but I picked up a lot of the entertainment costs, and felt a bit resentful that he wanted to do this. I agree the crappy speakers that were declining rapidly had to go. I decided he didn't really ask for much, so got them. With complete wild happy abandon, he sat me on the couch, and put on an album (yes 'vinyl' was still a thing. I hate that term, they are record albums, they only became 'vinyl' when cd's took over. I digress) and played it... and I was completely underwhelmed. "It's better". He was deflated and went on to talk about how great it was. I didn't doubt him exactly, but didn't here it. The first time our friends were over, they raved, and talked all these technical differences. That was when I conclusively realized the following applied to music delivery systems.
Me. Everyone else.
unlistenable. unlistenable.
crappy, bad. unlistenable
bad if I absolutely have to, please can we turn it off now
somewhat bad crappy, bad
kind of good bad
good somewhat bad
pretty good somewhat bad
really good barely good
great good
really great good
awesome great
awesome really great
awesome fantastic
awesome super fantastic
awesome almost awesome....

You get the idea. I think that it would apply almost the same with razors, though I think the lower end would be similar, about the time it reaches 'somewhat bad' for me would be where to cut in.
Much like in shaving, you can experience the differences but in the case of razors, you usually have to buy the product unless you're involved in a pass-around.. or someone loans you this or that razor to try....
I think this point is getting overlooked too much. $500 is fine if you have the money and get a better than good shave from it, but there will be disappointment if it isn't better than that, and if it is below that, its hard to justify the cost unless you have money to burn. It's easy to talk about it being the right decision, not so much when it is the wrong one.

Hope my stereo speaker story didn't bore everyone. It came to mind, and it really was a revelation that apparently I couldn't tell the upper level differences compared to others.

I no longer see any point of buying zamak razors, is because there are plenty of stainless razors for around or less than $50 for which a lot of zamak razors are sold and it's a no brainer for me and I guess everyone else to grab a stainless razor instead of a zamak.
True, but for example R89 is as far as I know still only Zamak. Until basic razors like 34c, DE/R89 are also available in SS there will still be demand for zamaks.

I’m gonna give OP the answer that they really wanted to hear..

Just go for it!!

You won’t know until you try for yourself 😉

Edit: there’s a lot of great answers in this thread, some I agree with and some I don’t. But at the end of the day sometimes to just have to scratch that itch yourself.
There is some truth to this, BUT, my caveat would be, look at the price. Now put your high hopes on hold for a moment. If you spend that much money, and you hate it, how do you feel? What do you want to do?

For some people, is it a company that has return policy? Can you re-sell on a second hand market? Give it as a PIF or for the Saint Sue Charity and feel good you are helping others? Cry? Seriously, to really know whether to 'just go for it', imagine the worst case scenario, and if you have no qualms, then... go for it.

Everyone’s missing the point, who wants their son or daughter to inherit a $10 razor? Nope, mine will get an inheritance worthy shaver🙃, this gives me buying leverage with the wifey. Bonus, I get to use them everyday until that fateful days arrives. On a serious note, buy what pleases you and makes you feel special performing the mundane task of hair removal.
I was wondering how much I'd see this point brought up, before you, I think only three people brought up longevity.

I do think it is worth mentioning in terms of lower end and some mid-range, that they might not last as long. I think its reasonable to say upper mid-range and upper end razors are good enough to last. One only needs to look at the secondary/vintage market. Plenty of razors that were made to be durable, but nothing extra special, that are still with us in good condition, even if they weren't treated well. I think that treating a razor well, starting with mid-range, should give plenty of longevity.

The exception would be that you want to hand down not just something to inherit that works, but something special that has the added oomph. You can hand down a metal desk set or a teak wood desk set, both functional, but obviously teak wood adds to the 'handing down' experience. In the same way, those that might have an eye to passing it along, I can see where something more expensive/extra special, would maybe matter.

That said, if I had any niece or nephew started DE shaving, I think they'd be happy with my Superspeed Flare, just for knowing I used it, and that it was my birthday razor. Sentiment is always a factor as well.

Top Bottom