What's new

Tell me the difference between Expensive razors and all the others?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
They debate isn‘t really about the cost of the uber razors. People choosing to spend their money on artisan-made products that are produced with good materials isn’t the issue either. Supply and Demand isn’t the isdue either. The issue is the belief by many that the uber razors are inherently better at shaving hairs than some less expensive razors (some 90-100 years old). Can all the true believers prove that their Wolfman or Rocnel razors are the best at shaving hairs from faces? Doesn’t it make sense that people spending over $500 for a razor are going to believe thst it the best razor that they have ever used? If it isn’t, did you get taken by the company?
You’re missing an important element — shaving for many enthusiasts is not just about ‘shaving hairs from faces.’ Just as enjoying a cigar isn’t just about inhaling nicotine; sipping cognac isn’t just about drinking booze. Shaving, for some, is an experience and something to please the senses. A Wolfman razor pleases the senses, and it also gives the owner one heck of a great, long-lasting shave.

Proof of superiority lies not in subjective opinion, but how long a face actually remains smooth following the shave.

OK, I hear you. But, aren’t those uber razor just nice hunks of stainless ultimately. While a less expensive razor might be only 95% as polished as the uber model, can’t its owner derive equal pleasure from it? Can I not admire the craftsmanship and simplicity of a brilliant design that a perfect condition New SC represents? Oh, and it mows down hair like few other razors. We are deviating from my premise though into other areas that don’t involve the actual quality of the razors at removing hair.

I'm all for those who want to buy expensive artisan razors. It's great they are available for those that can afford them (and are able to justify the premium pricing for whatever reasons). I also appreciate the members of the B&B community for not "razor shaming" others for not using expensive razors (for whatever reasons).

Hannah's Dad

OK, I hear you. But, aren’t those uber razor just nice hunks of stainless ultimately. While a less expensive razor might be only 95% as polished as the uber model, can’t its owner derive equal pleasure from it? Can I not admire the craftsmanship and simplicity of a brilliant design that a perfect condition New SC represents? Oh, and it mows down hair like few other razors. We are deviating from my premise though into other areas that don’t involve the actual quality of the razors at removing hair.
I absolutely love my Goodwill #160 (1930ish). Brilliant design (if not quirky), beautiful aesthetics and a smooth and efficient shaver. I named it ‘My Precious.’ But a modern Blackland Blackbird razor absolutely crushes it in final result (long-lasting shave).

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'll be honest, when I first decided to join the ranks of wet shavers, I wasn't quite sure what I was going to discover on my journey. People did talk a lot about how amazing it was, but I had no context for that, as I was previously a cartridge razor, and electric shaver person.

Once I finally gave in, and took the plunge into unknown waters, and started getting my first tools and supplies, it was only then, that I figured out what it was all about. I started with Tabac shave soap, the original tallow based soaps.

Just in the experience of whipping up the lather, and applying it to my face, I couldn't believe how good it felt! I discovered I wasn't just applying lather to my face, I was massaging my face with it. I was like, is this half of what I been missing for all these years of my life? I couldn't believe it!

My first razor, a one Feather AS-D2, was the tool that I used to bring fourth the whisker weight reduction. In just a single pass, it was doing what a cart razor, or electric shaver could not. I was literally giggling, because I couldn't believe it!

Then, eventually, the rabbit hole got me, I thought I was too smart for it, but it showed me different. Now I am one of you all. But thing is, I am happy now! Finally my depression is pretty much gone, I finally found something that make me happy in life.

So with all this said, I concur, wet shaving is not just about the goal of removing your whiskers, its about the overall experience. The wet shaving journey, its like walking into the closet to enter Narnia, but for shavers.

I can see you are new Zora, welcome to Badger & Blade! Don't worry, you will find your way to the rabbit hole in do time. But for now, just enjoy the journey, because its incredible! I wish film makers would do a movie on the miracle of wet shaving.

Maybe tell a story about a guy who was cutting up his face all the time with cheap disposables or electric shavers, then someone recommends DE wet shaving, so he starts doing that. Then after looking dashingly handsome from wet shaving, it allows him to meet a lady.

And after a single sniff of his CC Venture aftershave, it was a falling in love experience. Then they get married, have kids, all because, he became a wet shaver. And for him, it was quite the journey. So ya, that be a cool film idea. What do you guys think? Would you watch an entertaining film about wet shaving? I know I would!

Hannah's Dad

I'll be honest, when I first decided to join the ranks of wet shavers, I wasn't quite sure what I was going to discover on my journey. People did talk a lot about how amazing it was, but I had no context for that, as I was previously a cartridge razor, and electric shaver person.

Once I finally gave in, and took the plunge into unknown waters, and started getting my first tools and supplies, it was only then, that I figured out what it was all about. I started with Tabac shave soap, the original tallow based soaps.

Just in the experience of whipping up the lather, and applying it to my face, I couldn't believe how good it felt! I discovered I wasn't just applying lather to my face, I was massaging my face with it. I was like, is this half of what I been missing for all these years of my life? I couldn't believe it!

My first razor, a one Feather AS-D2, was the tool that I used to bring fourth the whisker weight reduction. In just a single pass, it was doing what a cart razor, or electric shaver could not. I was literally giggling, because I couldn't believe it!

Then, eventually, the rabbit hole got me, I thought I was too smart for it, but it showed me different. Now I am one of you all. But thing is, I am happy now! Finally my depression is pretty much gone, I finally found something that make me happy in life.

So with all this said, I concur, wet shaving is not just about the goal of removing your whiskers, its about the overall experience. The wet shaving journey, its like walking into the closet to enter Narnia, but for shavers.

I can see you are new Zora, welcome to Badger & Blade! Don't worry, you will find your way to the rabbit hole in do time. But for now, just enjoy the journey, because its incredible! I wish film makers would do a movie on the miracle of wet shaving.

Maybe tell a story about a guy who was cutting up his face all the time with cheap disposables or electric shavers, then someone recommends DE wet shaving, so he starts doing that. Then after looking dashingly handsome from wet shaving, it allows him to meet a lady.

And after a single sniff of his CC Venture aftershave, it was a falling in love experience. Then they get married, have kids, all because, he became a wet shaver. And for him, it was quite the journey. So ya, that be a cool film idea. What do you guys think? Would you watch an entertaining film about wet shaving? I know I would!
Only if Kevy Shaves was the protagonist and Ruds was the bad guy.

I'm all for those who want to buy expensive artisan razors. It's great they are available for those that can afford them (and are able to justify the premium pricing for whatever reasons). I also appreciate the members of the B&B community for not "razor shaming" others for not using expensive razors (for whatever reasons).

Agreed. There's no rhythm or reason to this place. I see some bloke shaving with a Wolfman one day and a Fatip or Tech the next. 😂

From my own experience, I can comfortably achieve a 12 hour 'BB' with a Fatip Piccolo, an Otto Roth LC, an English 1912 Ever Ready Improved, and a Gillette Adjustable Mk2 (the Slim was marketed under this name in the UK) at settings 8,7,9. At a good 10 hours is a '49 Super Speed, and the Edwin Jagger Kelvin, both using the steep shaving method. My English Tech is fine for a day in the woods. None of these were expensive razors, but they seem to give me a superb shave, with that enjoyment that is beyond a price calculation. We all experience that I know.

My technique I believe is very good, having used the vicious BIC White for a good 2 decades, before transitioning to the BIC Orange in the 90's. I really only flirted with carts for a handful of years. This taught me all I needed in terms of muscle memory about angle, and pressure. It was thus easy to transition to DE and SE shaving. What I
have learned about here specifically is soaps and creams, lather and hydration. Maybe I'm a natural :letterk1:

I would not dream of criticising those colleagues who are economically capable of enjoying the highest end razors. I celebrate that we can commune and share experiences. I cheer on the use of the most expensive razors on the forum.

However I cannot justify more than £80 for a razor, whatever the experience achieved, in my own personal life.

I get superb results with inexpensive hardware, which achieves the same outcomes as the most expensive razors it seems.

I celebrate that also, and I hope my colleagues do too with me.

This is a fantastic community of Gents, and I don't give a darn what you use to get a smoooth face!

Last edited:
The thing that people need to understand here is that when it comes to value and what's important and what not is that there are not wrong answers and everyone has a different point of view on pretty much anything.

With pretty much any hobby or whatever in life, there are people who are ok with a less expensive thing like a car, watch, house etc, and there are those who just want to have a more premium product. Both sides have their reasons to buy and not to buy things, so there isn't a real issue here. People go as far as bragging for ''owning'' some ''shiny'' pixels in a video games that can be shut down at any given moment, let alone for owning something in real life.

Of course, some will say that those who buy expensive things love to brag about it even a little and in many cases that's true, but people in general are doing it for pretty much anything, since it's part of the human nature and some folks are even bragging how they own very inexpensive/cheap stuff and not only they don't want to buy anything expensive, but they make fun of those who spend more than they do, so the whole bragging thing can range on both ends of the spectrum.

A few years ago I've met a guy on a Facebook shaving group and all he talked about was how he managed to get pretty much all of his (mostly super common) vintage razors for less than $20 and some were given to him as gifts and according to his ''logic'', everyone who was willing to pay more was crazy (to put it mildly). One day I just had enough and blocked him, because I've got tired of hearing the same stories over and over again of how he was given some beaten up caseless Fatboy for free and how he bought a Flare Tip Super Speed for $5 etc. and how everyone was jealous of him because of this. The guy had a bigger ego than someone who owns 5 Bottom Dial Fatboys would.

Bottom line is - I'm ok with anything, as long as people don't go too crazy to believe that their way of doing things in life is the absolute best and the only true way and if you disagree with them, then you're (you decide what).

Hannah's Dad

From my own experience, I can comfortably achieve a 12 hour 'BB' with a Fatip Piccolo, an Otto Roth LC, an English 1912 Ever Ready Improved, and a Gillette Adjustable Mk2 (the Slim was marketed under this name in the UK) at settings 8,7,9. At a good 10 hours is a '49 Super Speed, and the Edwin Jagger Kelvin, both using the steep shaving method. My English Tech is fine for a day in the woods. None of these were expensive razors, but they seem to give me a superb shave, with that enjoyment that is beyond a price calculation. We all experience that I know.

My technique I believe is very good, having used the vicious BIC White for a good 2 decades, before transitioning to the BIC Orange in the 90's. I really only flirted with carts for a handful of years. This taught me all I needed in terms of muscle memory about angle, and pressure. It was thus easy to transition to DE and SE shaving. What I
have learned about here specifically is soaps and creams, lather and hydration. Maybe I'm a natural :letterk1:

I would not dream of criticising those colleagues who are economically capable of enjoying the highest end razors. I celebrate that we can commune and share experiences. I cheer on the use of the most expensive razors on the forum.

However I cannot justify more than £80 for a razor, whatever the experience achieved, in my own personal life.

I get superb results with inexpensive hardware, which achieves the same outcomes as the most expensive razors it seems.

I celebrate that also, and I hope my colleagues do too with me.

This is a fantastic community of Gents, and I don't give a darn what you use to get a smoooth face!
1653230542643.gif

@Medivh The thing is that some razors are luxury items. These will not necessarilly give you better shaves, but they will give you a feeling of contentment. Have you ever driven a sports car like a Porsche or a Ferrari? These cars are loud an uncomfortable but you'll enjoy the ride and back in your Toyota you'll enjoy the silence...

Sure you can, but it doesn’t trip my trigger at all. Great thing is we are all supporting the shaving community and vastly different manufacturers, which means more selection across the board for everyone. Happy shaves!

@Medivh The thing is that some razors are luxury items. These will not necessarilly give you better shaves, but they will give you a feeling of contentment. Have you ever driven a sports car like a Porsche or a Ferrari? These cars are loud an uncomfortable but you'll enjoy the ride and back in your Toyota you'll enjoy the silence...
I love 😍nice things and I cannot lie! For me less and nicer is better; but it has got to perform.

I really like nice things, and in many categories. My income has never allowed me to have the very best of anything, so I have had to become discerning. With many things it is possible to get close to the very best for a good bit less money. Ideally you’d want to try the top-of-the-line stuff to see if the little bit gained is worth the price increase.
With wet shaving, the try everything approach is pretty difficult and expensive. I’ve tried a few of the more-expensive razors and have been pleased enough. I do want to try a couple more, after which I plan to cut back to the three I like the best. I really don’t expect anything world-changing to appear in my remaining time. If it does, at least I’ve had an interesting journey.
Jack

I'm well aware of this and I'm even guilty of owning other things not related shaving, for which I've paid a bit more than most people would and I don't regret my decision. What I was trying to say is that on every forum and group on the internet for hobbies there will always be people bragging for one thing or another regardless if they find the most or the least expensive toys best, but they will try to convince you that their way is the absolutely the best.

The whole concept of luxury and expensive vs inexpensive and ordinary isn't new and it has been raging ever since humans exist. People like nice stuff for many reasons and the idea of owning something that not many people can have is a very common thing and pretty much everyone is guilty at some degree. Like you said, no one buys a Porsche or a Ferrary just because they are very fast cars.

Folks should buy whatever they want. I can hardly get impressed by pretty much anymore even outside the shaving realm, so I really don't care, unless someone finds a way to teleports to whatever place he wants or has some other cool super powers for instance. Then I would like to know more if it's possible for me to do that as well, but other than that I don't care if people own even private islands.

I love luxurious items and antiques and am saving money to buy them. It is a real pleasure to use a piece of art and great craftsmanship. As a German I always admired the art of engineering and love things that are overengineered.

You can pay a lot if you want to, but it's really not necessary.

I recently got a vintage gold plated Gillette Tech delivered to my door, clean and in great shape for the total cost of $10.50. This thing shaves just as well as a Feather AS-D2, but it is lighter and more maneuverable, with a shorter handle (you really don't need a heavy razor to get a good shave).

1. Clamping. Excellent, the entire blade is supported nearly out to the edge.
2. Gap. Suitable for a comfortable, mild daily shaver.
3. Alignment. Absolutely perfect, with a tab at each corner and full center bar, the blade is precisely located.
4. Materials. Solid brass, plated with nickel with gold wash. It has lasted seventy years and looks practically new.

This thing is good because it was designed well, then manufactured and sold in huge volumes. It has zero prestige or bragging rights. I don't really mind. Put in a sharp blade and it works well.
I was comparing expensive modern razors to cheap modern razors. I don't like "vintage" razors.

I was comparing expensive modern razors to cheap modern razors. I don't like "vintage" razors.
I'm sorry for your loss.

:sob:

There's Fatip. $20 to $30.

2. Gap. Suitable for aggressive shaves.
3. Alignment. Load upside down, so the blade will center itself. People complain about "alignment", but these complaints are way overblown unless you are talking about a defective unit.
4. Materials. Solid brass, plated with nickel.

It's a good family of razors, even though the cost is low.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss.

:sob:

There's Fatip. $20 to $30.

2. Gap. Suitable for aggressive shaves.
3. Alignment. Load upside down, so the blade will center itself. People complain about "alignment", but these complaints are way overblown unless you are talking about a defective unit.
4. Materials. Solid brass, plated with nickel.

It's a good family of razors, even though the cost is low.

Also, outside of the Fatip handles, you really don't have a lot of options, which is also a big deal for those who have one or two favorite handles. The blade misalignment is also debatable. Some folks don't care if the blade is absolutely even on both sides while that makes others crazy if they can't do it.

I think the Fatip razors are really nice, but if the company spends a bit more time to improve them a bit more to absolutely eliminate the blade alignment issues as well as making them so they can use pretty much every handle, then they would become an absolute must even if the price is increased a bit.

Top Bottom