What's new

Tell me more about this razor I have! Anyone!

A2A0C3AD-905D-4CD2-B5BF-47AF79B4B0FA.jpeg
7D3543A8-4234-495A-97D0-52F37BDE9386.jpeg

What is this beautiful razor?
I’ve wanted to post this for quite a while.

This was given to me by a generous friend who bought this not even knowing about it. The design reminds me of the autostrop razors but with a built in leather strop roller. I have no idea the date of this razor and I can’t hardly find anything out on these. A regular DE blade isn’t meant for it so maybe an SE I’m not even sure what kind’ve blade would even fit in this. I haven’t been able to shave with it because I can’t figure out how it works. What I do know is that Ronson was known for making lighters back in the 60s-70s. Any info whatsoever on this is much appreciated! Any rough estimates of value as well out of curiosity.

Attachments

• C0D438CE-75AF-4DFB-A9C4-9B33BC58760F.jpeg
    C0D438CE-75AF-4DFB-A9C4-9B33BC58760F.jpeg
    807.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 931A75AD-43B8-4195-AD87-1FFA3CA8C880.jpeg
    931A75AD-43B8-4195-AD87-1FFA3CA8C880.jpeg
    929.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 383D346C-0E3E-4CF5-8BF8-DBE5B312B094.jpeg
    383D346C-0E3E-4CF5-8BF8-DBE5B312B094.jpeg
    883.2 KB · Views: 27
  • F1AAF90B-A07A-4624-8F5E-E60A44DE276E.jpeg
    F1AAF90B-A07A-4624-8F5E-E60A44DE276E.jpeg
    784 KB · Views: 30
  • 45BAD3E7-5273-4638-8D41-15555CB01703.jpeg
    45BAD3E7-5273-4638-8D41-15555CB01703.jpeg
    791.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 4463F524-2B84-4D44-9A8D-6AF1C60E9B14.jpeg
    4463F524-2B84-4D44-9A8D-6AF1C60E9B14.jpeg
    956.5 KB · Views: 30
Like you said, the Ronson wasn't made for DE blades, but they can work too. I'm not 100% sure if the Ronson had a blade in it, which you have to stop and sharpen similar to a Rolls razor, but I haven't seen any Ronson blades, so I guess that's the case.

While the razor looks nice, I still don't understand why some people are obsessed with it. It's huge, bulky and it doesn't look very practical imho.

About the value, well we're not supposed to talk about this, but I can give you a hint. Since the Ronson razor isn't made for the modern blades that we currently have like with other razors such as the Segal, not many people are willing to buy it, let alone spend a lot of money for it. You can always try your luck on Ebay and who knows, you might hit the jackpot.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Here are some discussions about "RONSON".
Contains disassembly photos, adapter blades, test videos; there is a demonstration in the video that it is not difficult to install the modified DE blade.
I also added the original patent information at the end.
Ronson razor, it "Shaves and Sharpens"

B&B does not allow appraisals, may have to ebay to find and assess the value.

Last edited:
I apologize for asking the value It slipped my mind that it wasn't allowed. I'm just tired of having something in my collection that I know nothing about.

Like you said, the Ronson wasn't made for DE blades, but they can work too. I'm not 100% sure if the Ronson had a blade in it, which you have to stop and sharpen similar to a Rolls razor, but I haven't seen any Ronson blades, so I guess that's the case.

While the razor looks nice, I still don't understand why some people are obsessed with it. It's huge, bulky and it doesn't look very practical imho.

About the value, well we're not supposed to talk about this, but I can give you a hint. Since the Ronson razor isn't made for the modern blades that we currently have like with other razors such as the Segal, not many people are willing to buy it, let alone spend a lot of money for it. You can always try your luck on Ebay and who knows, you might hit the jackpot.
While 90% of my collection is Gillette I still have interest in things unique and IMHO its a cool looking razor due to its uniqueness. I actually don't plan on ever selling it either because of who gave it to me. The value was out of curiosity. I was imagining it would have to be some sort of special blade... so that makes sense.

While 90% of my collection is Gillette I still have interest in things unique and IMHO its a cool looking razor due to its uniqueness. I actually don't plan on ever selling it either because of who gave it to me. The value was out of curiosity. I was imagining it would have to be some sort of special blade... so that makes sense.

I only sell the modern razors that I don't like, since I don't really collect them, but I rarely sell any of my vintage razors.

I still don't understand why some people are obsessed with it. It's huge, bulky and it doesn't look very practical imho.

It is rather bulky but with an injector blade it shaves as well as any razor I own and better than most. That's why we like them, they are a unique 1930s design that simply performs well. I have not tried a half DE blade in mine, but an injector blade works well. I clamp an old blade in the opposite side to keep the blade tray from moving, like the original blades would have done. The Ronson is one of the greats!

20230222_085809.jpg

It is rather bulky but with an injector blade it shaves as well as any razor I own and better than most. That's why we like them, they are a unique 1930s design that simply performs well. I have not tried a half DE blade in mine, but an injector blade works well. I clamp an old blade in the opposite side to keep the blade tray from moving, like the original blades would have done. The Ronson is one of the greats!

View attachment 1614125

Isn't it a bit heavy and not very nimble in some areas like under the nose? From all the DE and SE razors that I've seen, I think this one has the thickest head of all. If I find one in great condition with a case like the one you have I might consider buying it, but I probably won't pay much. As good as it might be, for me a nimble and slim profile razor will always be better even if it's an injector.

View attachment 1614125
Nice to see someone using it! Now you’ve got me wanting to try it!

Isn't it a bit heavy and not very nimble in some areas like under the nose? From all the DE and SE razors that I've seen, I think this one has the thickest head of all. If I find one in great condition with a case like the one you have I might consider buying it, but I probably won't pay much. As good as it might be, for me a nimble and slim profile razor will always be better even if it's an injector.
I can't answer that because I have a mustache. I use a proper mustache razor to shave it away from my nose. I can only say that the Ronson doesn't feel bulky or heavy while shaving with it. I don't mind a heavy razor though.

I can't answer that because I have a mustache. I use a proper mustache razor to shave it away from my nose. I can only say that the Ronson doesn't feel bulky or heavy while shaving with it. I don't mind a heavy razor though.

That make sense. It might sound odd, but some of the razors I've tried perform great in some areas like on my neck for instance, but are not very good under the nose like my Karve Overlander and others are quite the opposite.

I am awaiting delivery of a Ronson self-stropping razor, with some proprietary blades.
From my online reading thus far, the Ronson razor will accept Schick Injector blades.
A modern DE blade can also be modified to fit:

for a demonstration of cutting a modern DE blade to fit.

(audio in Greek but the video is instructive) for a demonstration of using masking tape, pen and a Ronson blade blank to cut a modern DE blade.

Top Bottom