What's new

Tell me about your recteq pellet grill.

Just like the title says, tell me all about your recteq pellet grill. Seriously considering pulling the trigger on a 590. I have a Char-griller Akorn that I love but the set it and forget it feature of a pellet smoker would be amazing for briskets.

I don't have a recteq but my Traeger Timberline works great for smoking meats. I prefer to use a charcoal grill for things like steaks, burgers, hot dogs and bbq chicken mostly because I can cook it more quickly and I can get a better sear on a charcoal grill. One thing my Traeger does extremely well is cook home made Pizza! I am sure it would work well for take and bake pizza like Papa Murphy's too. Make sure your pellet grill can go up to 500 degrees. It will help if you are trying to get a sear on your meat and for making pizza. If your lazy like me, you might appreciate a pellet grill that connects via wifi so that you can go to the store or watch TV or whatever and monitor your grill and meat temps and make adjustments from your phone. Of course if you don't need that a pellet grill without wifi will work just great and will cost less.

Sorry, living in Austin I would be subject to serious sniping if I used anything but a stick burner.
I have used them but I am turning 60 in a few months and I don't care for baby sitting a smoker for 12 hours while I cook a brisket like I used to do in my younger days when I still lived in Houston. I will say this, it is easier to get a better smoke flavor with a stick burner. I use extra pellet tubes in my grill to increase the smoke. Pellets just don't provide as much smoke as using natural wood with the bark still on it.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have used them but I am turning 60 in a few months and I don't care for baby sitting a smoker for 12 hours while I cook a brisket like I used to do in my younger days when I still lived in Houston. I will say this, it is easier to get a better smoke flavor with a stick burner. I use extra pellet tubes in my grill to increase the smoke. Pellets just don't provide as much smoke as using natural wood with the bark still on it.
I was just messing with you. I rarely smoke a brisket for the same reason. I am 72. If I want brisket I'm going to Valentina's or La BBQ.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
A good buddy of mine has one and loves its. Probably 5 or 6 yrs old now with no issues. Yes, the smokey flavors are not quite as strong but it still makes some really good Q.

I have a camp chef, 2 yrs now, ribs are wonderful on 220 hi smoke, have done brisket and shoulder for pulled pork no prob,, just did a spatcock chicken a 350 degrees and came out good . their paint quality is subject as i am getting separation and rust in florida. But they did send me replacement lid.

Update…this thing is the cats meow! Makes me look like a freaking genius when it comes to smoked food!
A85F3848-B632-445B-9DD7-904AC79BE10C.jpeg
FD30D57C-0716-4568-BE13-D2B2BF9903A3.jpeg
E82133C2-BA8A-4371-A5EB-D8E200632B87.jpeg
B67DF98D-9513-481F-AD3C-E3B97075A3BF.jpeg
4930709B-ADDC-4EED-B900-0A1BC3EDB095.jpeg

Yep! Buy a whole Balogna chub, score it and smoke it for a few hours. Turns out amazing and I’m not even a balogna fan.

Top Bottom