What's new

Tell me about the Blackland Tradere?

This razor (Blackland closed comb version, not the original version) has piqued my interest. I did a search here on B&B and all I saw were older threads. Other than that, I see no other talk about the razor. It looks like a beautifully crafted razor but see no real details of how it performs. I don't even see specs such as blade gap & exposure. It seems to be like the Black sheep in the Blackland family where it's not really a featured item in their lineup. I'd love to hear about anyone that has had any experience with the razor!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You can PM Mr Shavington... he says great things about the Tradere. Let me see if I can find a recent post.... You probably already looked but......... Post #54:

I don't have one with Blackland's name on it, but given that they worked with the original producer of the Tradere razors to make their relaunch of it be exactly the same as the old ones, my ~10 years of use with the originals (both OC and SB) should still be relevant.

Simply put, I've never found their equal. My search hasn't been fully exhaustive, as my budget is not infinite, but they are so good that they irrevocably changed the hobby for me. Since receiving my Traderes, I've expunged all razors from my possession that are not precision machined since they simply cannot compete in terms of comfort, consistency, and effectiveness.

There's two main reasons why you so very rarely see Tradere razors (both original and Blackland-made) in the BST:
1. They are just that good. No one wants to part with them.
2. Scarcity & collectibility. The originals are obviously extremely limited in quantity, and even the Blackland Traderes are not always available (they tend to sell out when they do production runs).

Which is the more prevalent reason I could only guess at.

I don't have one with Blackland's name on it, but given that they worked with the original producer of the Tradere razors to make their relaunch of it be exactly the same as the old ones, my ~10 years of use with the originals (both OC and SB) should still be relevant.

Simply put, I've never found their equal. My search hasn't been fully exhaustive, as my budget is not infinite, but they are so good that they irrevocably changed the hobby for me. Since receiving my Traderes, I've expunged all razors from my possession that are not precision machined since they simply cannot compete in terms of comfort, consistency, and effectiveness.

There's two main reasons why you so very rarely see Tradere razors (both original and Blackland-made) in the BST:
1. They are just that good. No one wants to part with them.
2. Scarcity & collectibility. The originals are obviously extremely limited in quantity, and even the Blackland Traderes are not always available (they tend to sell out when they do production runs).

Which is the more prevalent reason I could only guess at.
...pretty much. I would seriously consider trading my grail Darwin for an original Tradere SB head. My OC isn't going anywhere. It and the Karve are two that don't see much use because, yes, they are that good.

I have never tried the Blackland version, but owned an original SB from the second run of Tradere. I have also owned a number or other razors that are similar. I love them all. But I think you should know that not everyone loves this type of razor.
Currently I own a Pils and an Ikon S3S, both of which are quite similar to the SB Tradere. They are two of my favorite razors.
This style of razor head has a large gap but not much exposure. Blade feel is generally muted. Despite that, the razors tend to be fairly efficient. They require a certain angle to be at their best. People who have trouble maintaining said angle will sometimes complain that the razor is too mild. People who love very aggressive razors and lots of blade feel will likely not get along well with the Tradere and similar razor heads.

The heads are also somewhat boxy and large. Therefore, some complain that they can't shave the mustache area as well as other razors. I don't have a problem with that. People who like thin, light, agile razors will likely complain that the Tradere is too heavy and too bulky.

From my perspective, these are amazing razors.

I have never tried the Blackland version, but owned an original SB from the second run of Tradere. I have also owned a number or other razors that are similar. I love them all. But I think you should know that not everyone loves this type of razor.
Currently I own a Pils and an Ikon S3S, both of which are quite similar to the SB Tradere. They are two of my favorite razors.
This style of razor head has a large gap but not much exposure. Blade feel is generally muted. Despite that, the razors tend to be fairly efficient. They require a certain angle to be at their best. People who have trouble maintaining said angle will sometimes complain that the razor is too mild. People who love very aggressive razors and lots of blade feel will likely not get along well with the Tradere and similar razor heads.

The heads are also somewhat boxy and large. Therefore, some complain that they can't shave the mustache area as well as other razors. I don't have a problem with that. People who like thin, light, agile razors will likely complain that the Tradere is too heavy and too bulky.

Based on your detailed description, I'm pretty sure that the Tradere might not become my favorite razor.

Yeah, they are bigger and heavier heads than some other razors. If a body requires very light and agile razor heads, looking in the direction of Razorock's Game Changer and Lupo offerings would be recommended.

I owned the SB Blackland Tradere for a brief period and didn’t find it efficient enough for me. There was a learning curve to find the angle just right. If you enjoy mild razors, yet efficient enough for DFS, then it is a great choice. I enjoy razors more on the Aggressive/ Efficient side.

2 razors I would compare it to and had at that time - timeless .68 or h&s n075. Around same efficiency and smoothness. Great polish on the razor.

I would like to try out the Tradere Open Comb someday.

I think I've heard more of what i didn't want to hear, Lol!!
Mild razor!
Out of the razors I have, my preference has gone to my new ATT Windsor .80 and my Lupo .72.
It seems that the Tradere doesn't have the agressive/efficient qualities that those two have. Plus I'm reading that it's more of a muted blade exposure. I guess I'll pass on this one!
Sure is beautiful though, Lol!!
Thanks for everyone's input!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have the Blackland Tradere OC as well. Since getting it, it has knocked a Wolfman from the top spot in my rotation. It sits with some elite company and shaves as good or better than all of them. If find it to have the perfect amount of blade feel and efficiency, while providing a comfortable and smooth shave. I never had interest in the SB version because of reports that it was milder than other razors I have. But the OC hits a sweet spot for me. Now that I have some time with the OC, I would consider getting the SB version. The Tradere OC is the best razor I’ve used to date.

Mild razor!
Out of the razors I have, my preference has gone to my new ATT Windsor .80 and my Lupo .72.
It seems that the Tradere doesn't have the agressive/efficient qualities that those two have. Plus I'm reading that it's more of a muted blade exposure. I guess I'll pass on this one!
The lupo .72 is not that aggressive or blade forward IMO. If that's your jam you might like the Tradere SB. It does take a few uses to get used to the unique angle. I think it is more efficient and has more blade feel than a timeless .68. Efficiency and blade feel are in the same ballpark as the NO75, maybe a hair more. Any of the tataras beats out the Tradere for me though.

Mild razor!
LRod, you really want to get the Tradere in OC. It has far more blade feel than the LUPO .72 or the ATT Windsor. I would highly recommend it. Don't go with the SB, it is milder by design, but the OC is very very good. It's not R41/Timeless Bronze OC/Timeless Slim OC, but it is more efficient and more blade than your 2 reference razors.

I had one of the original OC Traderes. No. 10 in fact. It was ok. A very solid, well-made razor with a great handle. It was never one of my favourites or a "go-to" shaver. To me, it was never very nimble or easy to manoeuvre. There are guys who really like it, I'm just not one of them.

Mild razor!
If Heaven smiles upon you, and you come across a reasonably priced Tradere OC, I would not hesitate. The OC is more akin to the RR Jaws .84 than the Lupo (any gap). Were it not so heavy, it would be much easier to do oneself an injury.

As with anything, YMMV...

Phoenixkh posted a link to my previous comments about the Tradere OC. I find it about the same efficiency as my Blackbirds, Timeless 0.5 Slim, Timeless Bronze 0.78, Rocnel Sailor - all my most efficient razors - and also smoother than any of those except the Sailor. It is my favourite non-adjustable razor for its performance alone, and the unique styling and looks add to the appeal.

The SB version of the Tradere is a milder head design, based on the second generation Tradere, which was released because users of the original model complained that it was too aggressive (and it probably was more aggressive than other razors at the time, but not now).

It’s interesting to read some different views on the Tradere OC, but for my part I definitely recommend it for anyone who wants a high-efficiency razor with blade feel but not harshness. It is weighty, but I like that and this probably contributes to the efficiency without adding harshness. The art deco head design (at least that’s how I see it) is very stylish, as is the long, flared handle - but you can judge the looks for yourself. The head design covers the blade tabs, which a lot of shavers value too.

I've never owned an OC razor. My assumption was that OC was really for long growth so I've always overlooked them. I shave daily!
Don't know if that makes any difference though considering that I see some using OC simply for it's efficient characteristics. Am I missing something here?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I've never owned an OC razor. My assumption was that OC was really for long growth so I've always overlooked them. I shave daily!
Don't know if that makes any difference though considering that I see some using OC simply for it's efficient characteristics. Am I missing something here?
Nah man. OC is for a bit of a different feel on the face. Really hasn't much to do with long growth historically. People just say that now. Before the 1940s most double edge safety razors were open comb. Certainly all gillettes. I love them both and never really think about stubble length when choosing between oc and SB. Aggressive sometimes plays a part as well. Sometimes an OC version will be more agressive than their SB counterpart. But there are tons of OC razors that are super mild.

Top Bottom