What's new

Tell me about SV beta 4.3

Dolomiti has become my favorite soap. For that reason I would really like to try a beta 4.3. The ones in the fancy tin wont make it into my budget, so I believe that leaves Felce, Manna, and Mirto. Can you describe the scent strength of these three compared to each other, and compared to Dolomiti?

I also am interested in knowing some descriptions of the scents as well. Bright/dark, cool/warm, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Ime, the beta numbers don’t mean anything. They all shave And lather great. That said, it’s worth getting more flavors because the scents are usually awesome.

felce - green, bright, awesome

Manna - one of my least favorites. Smells like expensive soap that a 90 year old would use. I don’t like it.

Mirto - smells like Myrtle. Gorgeous

Ime, the beta numbers don’t mean anything. They all shave And lather great. That said, it’s worth getting more flavors because the scents are usually awesome.

Manna - one of my least favorites. Smells like expensive soap that a 90 year old would use. I don’t like it.

Oh I certainly expect all betas to perform... well, like SV. How would you describe Stella?

Oh I certainly expect all betas to perform... well, like SV. How would you describe Stella?

like a greener, Grassy smelling more intense mirto. They share the same dna. I use both. Stella is more in your face. They both kind of smell like a new house. Mirto is more subtle.

It depends on what you value most in a soap. I have beta 4.3 Assylum Colonia which was an exclusive for Bullgoose Shaving. I also got the aftershave as part of a package deal. The scent is wonderful. The performance of the soap is average. The aftershave was essentially free, so the combined package was reasonably priced, but I consider the soap alone to be seriously overpriced. If I am going to spend that much on a soap, I want both the scent and the performance to be superb. SV soaps just do not make the cut on the performance end in my view.

I know there are some folks who love SV soaps and who will say I am crazy for thinking they are an average soap, but as someone who has evaluated close to 190 soaps, I stand by my evaluation.

IIRC, strength:

1) Felce (bright, green, not unlike Proraso green AS - love it)
2) Manna (old Euro guy cologne - yuck)
3) Mirto (blah in every way aside from performance)

Dolomiti seems about par with Mirto to me for strength. I prefer Dolomiti by a decent margin although both are subtle. I also love Stella. I can see people thinking there is a family resemblance to Mirto, but I find Stella much more appealing. Strength is about equal to Felce.

SV is great for performance for me. Top tier.

I saw somewhere someone was was comparing felce to green Irish tweed. Is that fair? I dont agree with strong cologne type scents.

...SV soaps just do not make the cut on the performance end in my view.

I know there are some folks who love SV soaps and who will say I am crazy for thinking they are an average soap, but as someone who has evaluated close to 190 soaps, I stand by my evaluation.

So where does it fall short in your estimation. PSF or some other criteria?

Last edited:

What is Myrtle?

What is Myrtle?
Myrtle is a family of evergreen trees and shrubs that are native to countries around the Mediterranean Sea. The leaves have a fragrant essential oil, that smells somewhat similar to eucalyptus. The oil is supposed to be good for the skin. Ancient people associated the myrtle with Aphrodite, or Venus, the goddess of love. They planted it in their gardens.

Myrtus-communis-1.jpg

I saw somewhere someone was was comparing felce to green Irish tweed. Is that fair? I dont agree with strong cologne type scents.

Maybe in a general way. But, not that close to my nose. I guess some might see it as a cologne scent. I get "green" which, I think, is most people's experience.

Wonderful stuff. I would strongly recommend that you consider Cubebe. It’s an amazing fragrance. Heavenly.

So where does it fall short in your estimation. PSF or some other criteria?

By my evaluation, the lather developed from SV 4.3 has excellent slickness, but falls short of elite level soaps. The cushion provided is very good, but it does not provide sufficient protection for me to get a close shave without irritation. The post shave is particularly disappointing. You definitely need to use a post-shave product.

Unfortunately, the SV aftershave contains alcohol, which severely irritates my face.

IIRC, strength:

1) Felce (bright, green, not unlike Proraso green AS - love it)
2) Manna (old Euro guy cologne - yuck)
3) Mirto (blah in every way aside from performance)

Dolomiti seems about par with Mirto to me for strength. I prefer Dolomiti by a decent margin although both are subtle. I also love Stella. I can see people thinking there is a family resemblance to Mirto, but I find Stella much more appealing. Strength is about equal to Felce.

SV is great for performance for me. Top tier.

Great comparison! Thanks. :clap: :clap:

The post shave is particularly disappointing.

Interesting. I have dryish skin in a very low humidity climate. My experience is it is just below MWF for post-shave moisturizing. I use balm all the time, so, even if that wasn't true, it's not a big deal.

Top Bottom