What's new

Tell me about desk pens

The Philly Pen Show is coming up, and as I haven't made a nib-related purchase in about 2 years, I will be in the market for a desk FP. You know the kind, they have a solid base and an attached cap. I'm assuming I will have to look for vintage, so are there any recommendations for brands and models to look for?

I enjoy my Esterbrook Dipless 447 desk pen, really nice pen. As an added bonus, have only filled it the once so far, as it holds a huge amount of ink

How do you load it?

The base is a giant ink reservoir, and the pen draws ink via capillary action.

While not for my exact model, this gives some idea of the filling procedure

$dipless.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Wahl/Eversharp, Sheaffer, Waterman, and Parker would be a good place to start. Make sure the socket matches the pen, otherwise the nib will dry up. For the filling system I'd go with a lever filler for ease of repair.

There is a lot of variety in the bases, pick one that you'll enjoy! I've seen airplanes, elephants, nautical themes, clocks, or the simple round onyx base.

Something like this one from Pendemonium is what I have.
$wahl_deskset_brhr_2.jpg

I'm a fan of my Esterbrooke Dip-less pen. You can use any Esterbrooke fountain pen nib and the base does hold a lot of ink. I used mine very regularly in grand school and love it for quick notes or even long letters. They can usually be found for ~$25 used to ~$50 New in Box.

Absolutely beautiful ! I have more have many pens, and truth told have never thought of this practical addition that also adds elegance and ease to my writing ! I loved it, does anyone have a recommendation as to where I could behind my search for a stand ? I usually buy from Goulet pen, but have never looked for a dip-less pen nor, stand .

Absolutely beautiful ! I have more have many pens, and truth told have never thought of this practical addition that also adds elegance and ease to my writing ! I loved it, does anyone have a recommendation as to where I could behind my search for a stand ? I usually buy from Goulet pen, but have never looked for a dip-less pen nor, stand .

There are a number of well established vintage pen/pencil/etc dealers who frequent pen shows and many have a web presence as well. My favorite for things like desk pens would be Pendemonium. They recently relocated to New Mexico; I don't know if they will be at the Philly Show. But check them out on the web. (I haven't been to a pen show in far too long; other priorities have arisen since my kids were born.).

Picked mine up from eBay, quite cheaply too :thumbsup:

I bought mine off Ebay too, it took some soaking to get the base to open up, but it wasn't a big deal. Then I bought a different nib for the pen, didn't like it and traded it with someone here for a standard fine-medium nib for easy jotting.

I've got an Esterbrook lever-filler desk pen with a nice modernistic black glass base. I replaced the original nib with a 9968 Broad nib and have it currently filled with Levenger Shiraz ink. I'm surprised by how often I grab it for a quick note or scribble. It's so convenient not having to fiddle with uncapping a regular pocket pen. I also have an Esterbrook Dipless Set, but I've never filled it up.

One thing to consider about desk pens is the length. The black and green Sheaffer is 8.1", the black Wahl/Eversharp is 7.5 and the Esterbrook is 6.8"

$desk pens-1.jpg$desk pens-2.jpg

My desk is a bit too much of a worktop (read untidy) and therefore unsafe for a pen with a stand, so i have settled for a Franklin Christoph 65 desk pen which has a flattened side to prevent it from rolling about. The clincher for me was the broad steel nibs FC uses. Pen currently en route.

So it looks like the choices are combo pen-base reservoir systems, and matched bases with a pen that is a clean fit and the base functions as the slip cap. I looked at pendemonium and got some nice ideas. Does anyone know if Sheaffer made a desk pen with a Triumph nib?

I believe they do ... although I am not a Sheaffer person... (please excuse the crappy cell phone pics)

$IMG-20150102-00003.jpg$IMG-20150102-00004.jpg$IMG-20150102-00005.jpg$IMG-20150102-00006.jpg$IMG-20150102-00007.jpg

It's yours if youse want it

Top Bottom