What's new

Teenager and cologne

I have two high school age teen boys and they like to wear something that I find completely repulsive. It's probably one of the sports type stuff targeted to young adults.

Today one of my boys was coming from his room and the odor was literally like insect repellent in my opinion. No wait, insect repellent smells better!

I have no idea what they find appealing about that stuff.

Isn't it weird how generational things like scent can be? The stuff I used as a kid got some odd comments from my dad, usually something like "I see you've been into your mothers perfume again". My sons typically use the cheap grocery store brand stuff that is popular and in commercials has young hotties flocking to guys as soon as they spray it on. To me, it smells like rotting citrus.

To each his own I guess. It me wonder wonder what the AS/cologne my grandsons will use will smell like.

Mine likes the Axe stuff. Absolute crud smelling. Cheap and odd smelling.

It reminds me of the Polo cologne, in the early 80's.

My high schooler and middle schooler are the same way. The saving grace is that my seven year old loves Royall Lime aftershave and will only ask for that.

It's probably whatever advertises on TV or whatever social media site. They could benefit from a more mature person with a little better taste in fragrance

That you hate it.

As the father of teenagers, I heartily endorse this post.

That said, my oldest is using one of my castoff experiments. Oak by B&BW. It's kind of Obsessiony. This annoys me, because it smells like the 80's when I was a testosterone fueled teen chowderhead. So in a way, I assume he likes it because you can say I liked it, then rejected it, and he gets to mock my younger self and my failure to keep him from becoming a testosterone fueled teen chowderhead, while at the same time rejecting my current values completely.

Either that, or he wore it once and a cute girl told him it smelled nice.

Regardless, my own input is unwanted and totally ineffective, but I still can't resist commenting on what I think might be a slight overapplication.

"Holy Charles Bronson Mandom Power Shower, son, you smell like you used the whole bottle!"

And then my wife responds with "Look who's talking, Mr. shave right before bed."

And they wonder why I spend time in the office posting on B&B. It's cheaper than therapy.

Anyway, I have no insight into this issue whatsoever. Eeyore's theory works for me.

I think one reason that teenagers smell so repulsive is that no matter what they're wearing, they wear too much of it.

I think one reason that teenagers smell so repulsive is that no matter what they're wearing, they wear too much of it.

This, it seems the younger generation, you can't even be in the same room with them. Ever been in an assembly in a HS lately? Peeeyewwww, what kept me from over dousing, was the Pepe Lepew cartoons from my childhood. Just never wanted to be the person in the room you can't stand to be next to.

Sadly, not just the teenagers.. My neighbor's scent and my son's scent both linger in the stairwell for 30 minutes. And they are both over the age of consent... and then there are a few of those people at work who are followed by a cloud of scent.

Whew.

As the father of teenagers, I heartily endorse this post.

That said, my oldest is using one of my castoff experiments. Oak by B&BW. It's kind of Obsessiony. This annoys me, because it smells like the 80's when I was a testosterone fueled teen chowderhead. So in a way, I assume he likes it because you can say I liked it, then rejected it, and he gets to mock my younger self and my failure to keep him from becoming a testosterone fueled teen chowderhead, while at the same time rejecting my current values completely.

Either that, or he wore it once and a cute girl told him it smelled nice.

Regardless, my own input is unwanted and totally ineffective, but I still can't resist commenting on what I think might be a slight overapplication.

"Holy Charles Bronson Mandom Power Shower, son, you smell like you used the whole bottle!"

And then my wife responds with "Look who's talking, Mr. shave right before bed."

And they wonder why I spend time in the office posting on B&B. It's cheaper than therapy.

Anyway, I have no insight into this issue whatsoever. Eeyore's theory works for me.
Me too, I have 2, including a daughter with lavender hair

I refuse to wear anything that didn't already exist in 1965. This new stuff is just bad. It stinks. I'd wear no AS at all if that's all there was.

The old classics just can't be beat: Old Spice (ViJon's from Family Dollar - not this new imitation), Aqua Velva, Clubman, Bay Rum and Barbasol. Those are my rotation day in and day out. I want for nothing :D

I refuse to wear anything that didn't already exist in 1965. This new stuff is just bad. It stinks. I'd wear no AS at all if that's all there was.

The old classics just can't be beat: Old Spice (ViJon's from Family Dollar - not this new imitation), Aqua Velva, Clubman, Bay Rum and Barbasol. Those are my rotation day in and day out. I want for nothing :D

Not to beat a dead horse, but.......

.... Barbasol aftershaves came on the market in 2001.

I got on a carousel with my smallest, to be her footman as she galloped on the excellent purple stallion. All was not well, because the youth ahead of us was liberally showered with some vile scent. Around and around we went, always downwind of him. Felt bad for him, and sick myself.

Sadly, not just the teenagers.. My neighbor's scent and my son's scent both linger in the stairwell for 30 minutes. And they are both over the age of consent... and then there are a few of those people at work who are followed by a cloud of scent.

Whew.
Yep. Adults do not get to claim innocent here either. Plenty of people say "I want the scent to last all day," so they can get away with spraying 5 times. Men in their 40's and 50's, too. You can smell them from yards away.

I remember a guy that used to visit when I worked in antiques. He must've been in his 80's or at least late 70's. Korean War vet. He would always stop by to regale us with stories. He was the nicest guy, always impeccably dressed, but you could smell him as soon as he opened the door. He was always drenched in Acqua di Gio.

Last edited:
My dad got me a bottle of the original Old Spice cologne for Christmas when I was 8. That was in 2003, and it was in a glass bottle, so I guess they still made the glass ones then. Anyway, I never picked up a bottle of Axe or any of that crap. Always the Old Spice Classic scent. So happy they still make it. I love it because it reminds me of Christmas and it's just plain manly. I mean, I'm going to wear something that if my grandfather hadn't worn, I wouldn't exist. Or at least that's what Proctor and Gamble says. :lol: Plus SWMBO loves it because it "smells like fall." But I digress. I concur in the judgment that Axe and all of these "sport" "body sprays" smell like insect repellent.

Top Bottom