What's new

Technological Advances we Can't Live Without

I posted this in another thread below, but thought it might generate some good discussion on its own.

I've been thinking of technological advances that I--and others--did not immediately see the advantages of, and how important they are to me--and others!--now. Here's a short list, for arguments sake, of some of my favorites:

color TV/computer monitor/cell phone & PDA screens vs. B&W--could/would you ever go back? The color PDA didn't seem like a big deal to me at first--my first 2 PDAs were B&W--but now I see a B&W screen on any device and assume its from the 1800s!

word processing programs vs. typewriters--I still have nightmares about making a typing mistake on p. 3 of a 20 pp. paper, and having to retype the entire thing!

remote controls vs. getting up to turn the channel--a no brainer

cordless phones vs. corded--another life changer

remote car lock opener vs. keyed entry--I'm waiting for this to become a standard option for homes and offices, too

Feel free to add your own!

:biggrin: This is a great post!
Technology is relative- if you use a well -running water is a great advance.
So at the risk of being accused of being a hijacker I would rephrase it to be ''what is the technology that has impacted us the most" :biggrin:

Consider me old-school, but I dislike the idea of keyless entry for homes. Someone snags the code and gets into my car, fine....someone snags the code, and takes the stuff I hav ein my home, some of which are irreplacable heirlooms....I'm going to be furious.

Technology is great, but being in the tech industry, and seeing how business in general treats technology (as a cash cow opposed to an important tool), I am very untrusting of any type of high-tech door lock, regardless of what the manufacturer will claim.

...funny part, 6 years ago I loved gadgets and could not have enough of them...now, I try to run from technology as much as I can.

Of course, I was just legal to drink 6 years ago too...maybe all the booze killed off the right braincells to make me see the light :001_tongu

As for the technology that has affected me the most....LED lighting. Seriously. I can't get enough of it. I have 3 LED flashlights, and a box full of LED lights for my bicycles...and a dynamo powered radio with a built in LED table light. Very efficient, little heat output, and reasonable lighting for indoor usage on the lower powered units.

Those electronic key cards are fairly common in apartment buildings/offices around here, at least for initial entrance. To get into individual apartments or offices you typically need a normal key. Personally the whole double key thing gets annoying for me. I have to get my wallet out (where I store the key card) to enter my building then I have to fish out my keys to enter my apartment. Such a hassle.

I guess what I'd like for my house or office door is similar to the little black box with buttons that I have for my car--just press the button and *poof* the door is unlocked. Even better, IMO, would be the newer versions of the same technology that enable the driver to start the car without putting the key in the ignition swigtch at all--just having the "key" with the embedded microchip on your person sends a signal to the car, unlocking the door and then starting the engine with the push of a button.

It always seems as though my key sticks in the lock, or I have my arms/hands full and have to put everything down to get into my pocket. The "keyless" approach would take care of this hassle.

Now, I know, some neo-Luddite will come along and say that this technology poses security problems, or its "just another thing to break." Which is, BTW, exactly why my father refused to get electric windows on any of his cars, even well after they became standard equipment on even entry level models. I have to say that I would not go back to crank windows now, even acknowledging his observation as substantially correct--electric windows *are* just one more thing to break.:frown:

mach 3 vs. fusion vs. D/E -- can you ever go back to a single blade? the efficiency of 3 or 5 blades totally blows those antiquated D/Es away!

I mean seriously! A nice relaxing, enjoyable shave vs. razor bumps, razor burn, and expensive cartridge replacement! what a no-brainer!

:001_tt2:

I'm in awe of the sound produced from my tiny little home theatre speakers when speakers used to have to be four foot tall.
Sue

The Microwave. Almost every meal I have at home has at least one item that is warmed up in the microwave.

mrob said:
I guess what I'd like for my house or office door is similar to the little black box with buttons that I have for my car--just press the button and *poof* the door is unlocked. Even better, IMO, would be the newer versions of the same technology that enable the driver to start the car without putting the key in the ignition swigtch at all--just having the "key" with the embedded microchip on your person sends a signal to the car, unlocking the door and then starting the engine with the push of a button.

It always seems as though my key sticks in the lock, or I have my arms/hands full and have to put everything down to get into my pocket. The "keyless" approach would take care of this hassle.

Now, I know, some neo-Luddite will come along and say that this technology poses security problems, or its "just another thing to break." Which is, BTW, exactly why my father refused to get electric windows on any of his cars, even well after they became standard equipment on even entry level models. I have to say that I would not go back to crank windows now, even acknowledging his observation as substantially correct--electric windows *are* just one more thing to break.:frown:

How's this? Even more technologically advanced! Someone will need to cut your finger off to enter your house.

http://www.keylesspro.com/biometric.htm

Just about everything that is already mentioned in the previous posts.

Here's an interesting idea for a new thread: which things you can't live without that didn't have any real advances or noticable improvements over the last 50 years? :wink:

If I think about it, I can't even properly respond my own question... :blushing:

I'd say the Tivo/DVR.

My wife and I arn't huge TV watchers but I'd find with my schedule that I would sit down around 11:00 or 12:00 and want to watch something and there was never anything good on.

Now with the dvr we have all the good shows waiting for us at any time.

a fax machine....

it is so simple, but look at what you can do with it....

send a letter, plans, drawings and do it in your own handwriting....just call a number and the idea is transferred in seconds....

actually easier than e-mail.....

mark

Hmm. . .just to be argumentative. . .:wink:

I see no need for the fax machine any longer, but it might just be my reliance on the computer and email. I can scan just about anything that I can't reproduce on the computer, and attach just about anything to an email message.

And I've yet to join the Tivo craze--we were offered one by my Mom last year for a Christmas present and declined. I guess we don't know what we're missing.

As for things that have not changed much in the last 50 years and we still use. . .

the light bulb--I know, there are new, "fancy" kinds of bulbs, but the regular ol' light bulb still works fine

the manual can opener--I still think its easier to use than an electric; its all we use

a good chef's knife--one of the only things I use every day that's not plugged in to some outlet, and it works great

my 40s Gillette SuperSpeed--'nuff said!

Ashe,
Indoor plumbing :) No big exciting changes but that's ok.

Looking at the other side of 'needed' improvements, do we really need a TV built in the door of refrigerators?
Sue

mitch,

i agree with you about the fax machine...but you and i are use to email addresses, creating, attaching files/pictures....but you take my boss for example...very capable gentlemen, but can not retrieve email....leaves that to me...

at first, he use to ask me my email address, but now he just sticks his head out of the window and saw...so and so is sending an e-mail...print it off for me please...

but he can make a fax humm....:001_huh:

I still like my 1939 "Lucy" telephone...is has a pretty ring, works when the lights go out and you can a whisper as clear as crystal.....

mark

Has to be the Internet- or else many of us would still be wandering in the woods of multi cartridge hell!

Plus, look at all the wonderful people we have come to know on this site alone- how would that have been possible years ago?

Marty

Top Bottom