What's new

Technivorm

My mom and I are getting my dad a Technivorm coffee maker for his birthday. But I need a suggestion on the model and where to purchase, any recommendations?

Thanks all!

Please excuse my ignorance and the hijack, but can the Technivorm make coffee better than pouring water of the proper temperature through the grounds in a conical filter basket?

Please excuse my ignorance and the hijack, but can the Technivorm make coffee better than pouring water of the proper temperature through the grounds in a conical filter basket?

Not really. Just less manual intervention, guaranteed constant and correct temperature, etc. If you make coffee for more than one or two people, a manual pour over is a major PITA.

This is going to sound like stupid question, but how do you make coffee with the pour over method? I mean specifically, how much coffee per cup, etc?

Thank you

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The pour over filter holder method is really for one cup. I like that I can use very hot water and fiddle around with it. It makes a very decent cup with a two second cleanup.

I don't have it any more, but used to have a glass carafe in which the top was molded to accept a Mellita type filter. I found that with it, after I figured it out, I could make coffee on a par with the best coffee shops. I used to make 4 cups at a time. I got to where I liked about 2 oz of ground coffee per 4 cups. I found the trick was to heat the water to about 195-200°, wet the grounds till they just started to float and then stop till they drained out, then pour the remaining water in thirds. All told about 3 and a half minutes to make a pot. Great coffee. Then transferred to a vacuum bottle to keep it hot till I finished the 4 cups.

As Scotto mentions, it was somewhat a pain, but it was good coffee. I think the carafe was on the pricey side, but no where near Technivorm pricey. That was 20 years ago in San Diego. I have since gone to an automatic drip machine with an insulated pot. Except when I break out the La Pavoni for espresso.

I recommend buying from Sweetmaria's:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.technivorm.shtml

I have been using the KBTS model for nearly two years and love it.

Good company, family owned and run, great service.

The Technivorms do not come with built-in timers, so I also recommend an appliance timer if you like to wake up to fresh coffee. This set up works just fine.

The pour over filter holder method is really for one cup. I like that I can use very hot water and fiddle around with it. It makes a very decent cup with a two second cleanup.

I know the basics and I actually have the setup to use the pour over method, but I don't know how much ground coffee to use per cup.

The Technivorms do not come with built-in timers, so I also recommend an appliance timer if you like to wake up to fresh coffee. This set up works just fine.

Thats a fantastic idea...Do you have a recommendation on which one to get or where to get one?

Thanks!

My sister-in-law has used the KB741 for the past six years or so. It hasn't missed a beat, and they live in a hard-water area.

I have friends who have used the moccamaster for more than ten years,and they still love it:biggrin:

Moccamaster KB741 10 cup capacity (Euro standards), Dual Temperature hot plate with automatic heat booster with quiet brew cycle. Certified by the Specialty Coffee Association of America.

If I drank more "normal" coffee the 741 would be my first choice, but i rather drink italian/french, and sometimes arabic, coffee :tongue_sm:tongue_sm

Good luck!!
:smile:mace

The thermos model boggles my mind.... brew yummu fresh coffe- then let go offin a thermos...:confused:

Not sure how good an idea the timer is. You will not be waking up to "fresh" coffee as the grounds will have been sitting for many hours (losing much in aroma and flavor) as will the water.

Not sure how good an idea the timer is. You will not be waking up to "fresh" coffee as the grounds will have been sitting for many hours (losing much in aroma and flavor) as will the water.

You are absolutely correct. I never use a timer because ground coffee loses most all its flavor and aroma within minutes. I have found it to be a much better idea to grind coffee immediately before brewing. There is a reason Technivorms don't come with timers. It seems a shame to spend that much on a machine capable of making such good coffee and then to not get the best out of it by using stale coffee.

That said, if you are really wanting better coffee I would recommend spending the Technivorm money on a coffee roaster from Sweet Marias and then getting a cheap pour over setup. Once you taste the difference fresh roasted coffee makes, you will thank me!

You should come up to Canada, and get a Tim Horton's coffee maker. It is seriously the best thing ever. It keeps a reservoir of hot water, so all you do is add the water, and you better have the pot under before you close the lid because it begins to brew immediately. And, even better, a full pot takes less than a minute. Ridiculously fast.

Not to mention, Timmies makes pretty damn good coffee. They have shops pretty much every block or two here, and they are always all packed. Unbelieveable.

Top Bottom