What's new

Technivorm or Bonavita coffeemaker?

So this is my first post in Cafe forum. I'm getting ready to purchase a new drip coffee maker. I've read great reviews about both the Technivorm and the Bonavita. Is the Technivorm worth double the price? Anybody had both? Thanks for the help

So this is my first post in Cafe forum. I'm getting ready to purchase a new drip coffee maker. I've read great reviews about both the Technivorm and the Bonavita. Is the Technivorm worth double the price? Anybody had both? Thanks for the help

Like you this is my first post to this board. Since nobody has answered yet, I'll make a couple of comments since I have been researching the same question about the same two coffee maker brands. I've read many posts and reviews of both and discovered that the cost for the Technivorm is about double that of the Bonavita. The Technivorm is what I'd call a tried and proven product and evidently the Bonavita is a relative new-comer without the years of proven performance of the Technivorm. The Technivorm is evidently hand made and the only plastic touching the hot water or hot coffee is the water holder that you pour the water into. Everything else is supposedly metal or glass. I am not sure that is the case with the Bonavita and don't know how important it is in the first place. The Bonavita, in general, gets rave reviews especially for its price point. These two are supposedly the only ones certified (I forget the agency) which evidently gives comfort to many buyers and both bring the temperature of the water to a consistent 200 degrees which I gather is important for getting the best taste from freshly ground coffee. I did notice that many reviewers complained about the Thermal pot model of the Bonavita, specifically that the glass lining inside the stainless steel explodes and often the replacement ($40 or so) does the same. I've read no complaints of the model with the glass coffee pot.

My determination is that I must make a decision of whether I want to save money initially on the Bonavita and run the chance of having to go to the effort and expense of getting a replacement pot or two (or just buy the glass pot initially instead of the thermal) or do I want to spend the extra money for the peace of mind knowing that I have bought a proven product with a long history of proven performance and being the reigning king of drip coffee makers? I believe I am about to decide on the Technivorm.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with some of their experiencies with each of the coffee makers. I'll be watching for their comments too. Good luck with your decision and your purchase, which ever way you decide to go.

Last edited:
I have neither but have read that both are good choices. I liked the analysis from Larry.

I might add a couple of things to consider during your thinking process. First is to consider where you plan use and store the coffee maker. The Technivorm is a little on the tall side and though it should fit under most cabinets, depending on how you want to orient it, its foot print and accessing the water reservoir may be problematic. It is a small detail that you might otherwise overlook if shopping online. My Capresso brewer was taller than a generic Mr. Coffee brewer, to the point that it would have been awkward to use in some spots in my kitchen. Second if you think you might "get into coffee", meaning you can imagine wanting to get a French Press, Moka Pot, Espresso, etc. sometime in the near future, then a lower cost/quality brewer may suffice since it will have to share time with these other brewing devices. Otherwise its purely a question of quality vs budget vs preferences.

Last edited:
I've had the Technivorm since Christmas of 2012. It has been been an outstanding machine and I would buy another if I had the chance. I also was considering the Bonavita because of cost but I've been very happy with the Technivorm.

This gives me the best tasting coffee ever.

$il_fullxfull.214407065.jpg

Agree about the grinder. A decent burr grinder is a must.

As far as the coffee maker, I have never tried the technivorm, but I have used a Bonivata (with the thermal pot) daily for about 8 months with great results (and no exploding pot!). I have measured the water temperature several times, and it is always right around 200 degrees during the brew cycle. And, oh yeah, the coffee tastes good, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like you this is my first post to this board. Since nobody has answered yet, I'll make a couple of comments since I have been researching the same question about the same two coffee maker brands. I've read many posts and reviews of both and discovered that the cost for the Technivorm is about double that of the Bonavita. The Technivorm is what I'd call a tried and proven product and evidently the Bonavita is a relative new-comer without the years of proven performance of the Technivorm. The Technivorm is evidently hand made and the only plastic touching the hot water or hot coffee is the water holder that you pour the water into. Everything else is supposedly metal or glass. I am not sure that is the case with the Bonavita and don't know how important it is in the first place. The Bonavita, in general, gets rave reviews especially for its price point. These two are supposedly the only ones certified (I forget the agency) which evidently gives comfort to many buyers and both bring the temperature of the water to a consistent 200 degrees which I gather is important for getting the best taste from freshly ground coffee. I did notice that many reviewers complained about the Thermal pot model of the Bonavita, specifically that the glass lining inside the stainless steel explodes and often the replacement ($40 or so) does the same. I've read no complaints of the model with the glass coffee pot.

My determination is that I must make a decision of whether I want to save money initially on the Bonavita and run the chance of having to go to the effort and expense of getting a replacement pot or two (or just buy the glass pot initially instead of the thermal) or do I want to spend the extra money for the peace of mind knowing that I have bought a proven product with a long history of proven performance and being the reigning king of drip coffee makers? I believe I am about to decide on the Technivorm.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with some of their experiencies with each of the coffee makers. I'll be watching for their comments too. Good luck with your decision and your purchase, which ever way you decide to go.

Seems like this subject comes up even with plenty written about these brewers by professionals (Clive, Prima, Seattle Coffee Gear, etc) and even by me since I have a working version of each (as does a fellow on Coffee Geek from England). Quality in the cup is equal. Age of the design is a moot point - both have been around forever in coffee maker years (the venerable Melitta Aroma Excellence = Bonavita BV-1800 - and I have the box to prove it). I have a thermal carafe and cone for manual pour over too - it is explosion free for over a year now and is what is used by Bonavita for the thermal version.

Both are good brewers so good information about them is more useful...

I've had a Technivorm for about a year and I love it. It makes really great, fast, consistent coffee and looks good doing it. I started using a gold filter about 4 months ago but still secretly prefer the taste of a paper filter once in a while. I've also got a Baratza Virtuoso grinder that's a perfect companion to the Moccamaster.

Top Bottom