What's new

Technivorm "Aftermarket" Carafes

I am going to get a Technivorm KBT for my office at work, but I really want to use a glass-lined vacuum carafe rather than their stainless steel model. I know there are some options out there, but I had really hoped to use one of my Steltons. It appears as though the 1L it going to simply be too tall. The Stelton 1L is 11.8 inches tall - many of the online dimensions say 12, but mine is decidedly just short of that - and it looks like the clearance on the Technivorm isn't even close to that. I'm thinking the 0.5L Stelton will fit vertically, but I just can't seem to find the measurements I am looking for. Perhaps 8.2 inches is actually too short to be functional.

I guess I was hoping that someone out there has either already tried this combo, or would be willing to measure the vertical clearance between the base and the filter basket (on the thermal version, not the hotplate version)? I don't think the width will be an issue.

Thanks!

Why not just xfer the brew into a glass lined air pot?

This is what I have been doing for years.

Pre-warm the air pot with hot/boiling water, pour in the brewed coffee into the hot air pot and enjoy it when you want another cup.

You could do the same thing with a glass lined carafe. You don't "need" to brew into your serving vessel, just pour your coffee into whatever you wish to serve it in once it is brewed.

I have a Technivorm and the thing I would tell you to watch out for is the 'switch' on the bottom of the carafe rest. Its tough to see in a lot of pics, and they don't call it out that I can see, but there is a button on the unit that the carafe hits when you put it in place. The brewer won't turn on unless that is contacted, so if you go with an aftermarket carafe, make sure its wider at the bottom, or you have some other way to rig that switch.

Why not just xfer the brew into a glass lined air pot?

This is what I have been doing for years.

Pre-warm the air pot with hot/boiling water, pour in the brewed coffee into the hot air pot and enjoy it when you want another cup.

You could do the same thing with a glass lined carafe.

Yeah. First and foremost, I am a minimalist. I don't want unnecessary items sitting around, which is what the stock carafe would effectively be. Second - I am buying the machine from a friend who has lost the carafe. So I'm starting from scratch there, and would prefer to not buy the stock carafe if I'm just going to immediately pour it out of there into another carafe. But even if I were getting the carafe included, I would still be looking for a replacement. For one, I hate stainless steel lined carafes. And second, I hate stainless steel lined carafes. And to pay that insane price for a stock carafe that I don't like in the first place seems silly.

You don't "need" to brew into your serving vessel, just pour your coffee into whatever you wish to serve it in once it is brewed.

Ah, my friend, you and I are different animals, I think. I do "need" this. If it isn't just right, this will bother me forever. Deep down, I know you are 100% right. But just like I can't use the perfectly good tupperware I already have to store my shave soaps, and I can't set a brush loft without testing every 1mm loft increment, I just can't bring myself to use two carafes in this situation. It's completely crazy, I know. It's a curse.

I have a Technivorm and the thing I would tell you to watch out for is the 'switch' on the bottom of the carafe rest. Its tough to see in a lot of pics, and they don't call it out that I can see, but there is a button on the unit that the carafe hits when you put it in place. The brewer won't turn on unless that is contacted, so if you go with an aftermarket carafe, make sure its wider at the bottom, or you have some other way to rig that switch.

Fabulous bit of info! Thanks! Is the "switch" along the sides of the "slot"? Any chance you could measure to let me know just how wide/deep a carafe would have to be to trigger this switch?

Last edited:
$image.jpg

One option is to build up the base of the brewer. A couple slices of corian or a scrap piece of granite countertop would work.

A Nissan /thermos brand carafe will work TGU-1500. I got a couple from Sierra trading post a while back.
The stock airpot is 5.25 inches at the base the Nissan is 5.0.

The white button is your switch.

Last edited:
One option is to build up the base of the brewer. A couple slices of corian or a scrap piece of granite countertop would work.

I thought about this. Your encouragement may push me more and more that direction. But still, if I can find an aesthetically pleasing glass-lined carafe that will fit, I will go with it. My 1L Stelton is just under 4.1 inches wide ... sounds like it could perhaps fit and trigger the button, depending ... but I'm assuming it is just way too tall. I think the 0.5L Stelton is actually a touch wider ... but I have to measure. The width on the 0.5L Stelton may be a better fit, and I think it will fit vertically and neither be too tall or too short. But I'm just guessing.

A Nissan /thermos brand carafe will work TGU-1500. I got a couple from Sierra trading post a while back.
The stock airpot is 5.25 inches at the base the Nissan is 5.0.

I have indeed enjoyed some of my Nissan/Thermos products. But for me, they struggle in the aesthetic department. Plus, while their stainless steel lined products are excellent, I haven't found them to have the same quality in their glass range to meet the quality of Stelton, Emsa, or Alfi.

I'll try to measure the base of my carafe tonight, but Jim's pic shows it perfectly as well.

I concur! Jim - thanks for the picture. That's awesome.

turtle said:
You need to give up on the Technivorm and get a Bonavita (glass lined thermal carafe)

http://www.bonavitaworld.com/products/cm2.asp

+100!! Mine is en route- will be here Tuesday.

I have used both the the Bonavita and the Technivorm a few times, and the BV performs very well. The Bonavita does have a few advantages over the TV. But, ultimately, TV just wins for me. It's a combination of aesthetic, build quality, and personal experience. But I will say that I think it is awesome that we have finally had a few new entrants into the electronic brew realm over the last few years to compete with TV! It's about time!

Last edited:
I have used both the the Bonavita and the Technivorm a few times, and the BV performs very well. The Bonavita does have a few advantages over the TV. But, ultimately, TV just wins for me. It's a combination of aesthetic, build quality, and personal experience. But I will say that I think it is awesome that we have finally had a few new entrants into the electronic brew realm over the last few years to compete with TV! It's about time!

This is probably the best head to head comparison I have seen on both machines

http://www.clivecoffee.com/learn/2012/01/first-look-bonavita-versus-technivorm/

I am going to pick up the machine in a couple days, just as an FYI I will let you guys know if either of the Steltons work without modification.

I got it. I like it.

I more or less knew exactly what I was getting, as I've used the TV many many times prior to acquiring this one. And of course, I love it. I don't $300 love it, which is why I didn't have one prior to this, but if you can find it close to the $150 range, I think the purchase would be a no brainer. I really like that I can use it both as a traditional drip machine and as a hot water delivery device to suit all of my pour-over brewing needs. It's not ideal for the Hario, but for a Kalita or Kone, it works quite nicely, and keeps everything in a neat and tidy package in my office (a big must).

But of course, the carafe is what this whole thread was about. The clearance from the plastic base plate to the filter basket is a little less than 9 inches ... I didn't measure exactly because it didn't really matter. The 1.0 L Stelton is way too tall, so that didn't work. I thought about builing up the base with a concrete block or something, but the aeathetic just isn't going to be right having to elevate the brewer that much.

The 0.5L Stelton, however, fits quite nicely. Two small glitches. One is that in order to trigger the white button to tell the machine the carafe is in place, the jug sits the tiniest bit too far into the machine, and the dripping coffee comesout a bit to the side of the opening. It still goes into the pitcher, but it sort of pools in the little well before going in. Amazingly, the brew through lid from the TV carafe (which somehow my friend still had, despite losing the carafe) sits on top of the Stelton PERFECTLY. And it adds just enough height that the jug sits right beneath the filter basket. Quite incredible how natural the fit is, actually. The coffee still somtimes hits the plastic brew through lid and then goes in, rather than falling perfectly through the center, but for me that is a much better situation than having to rig a little device to manually trigger the white "carafe-in-place" button. The second glitch is that the 0.5L Stelton is ... well ... only 0.5L. So, if I am using the TV to make my regular amount, it is fantastic. I tend to brew just that, about 16 oz, drink 10, and save the rest for a refill. But if you wanted to brew a full pot to have around, not going to work.

Nice unit you are considering, but I sure wish someone would manufacture an auto drip where the water wasn't heated in a plastic resrvoir. Easy enough to pick one with a stainless or glass carafe, but the "business" end of all coffee makers I have found in relation to reservoir and shower head are plastic. I sure miss the convenience, but I gave up an auto dripper long ago. I do not want to drink out of super heated plastic daily for years and years.

Last edited:
Go to roastmasters.com and search "Nissan Thermos TGS1500 Carafe"
They do an excellent job comparing and contrasting the factory Technivorm carafe and the aftermarket thermos carafe.
The thermos TGS1500 fits the technivorm best from all other aftermarket carafes. Only issue is its too tall with the brew through lid on. To get it to fit perfect with the brew through lid you'll have to stick small rubber gliders/feet to the current feet of the machine just to machine about a quarter of an inch. You'll also have to lose the carafe pad. The auto brew switch functions exactly the same as it did with the factory carafe.

My Stelton 0.5L has been working wonderfully as a carafe in the TV. No fussing with the height of the brewer or the mat. No fussing with the brew switch. And the brew through lid sits right on top like charm. Nothing against the Nissan/Thermos carafes, but the I find the aesthetic quite wanting. The Stelton fits the bill and looks good doing it! I will try to take thorough measurements and post when I can remember.

Top Bottom