What's new

Technivorm a Disappointment

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I recently after seeing so many glowing reviews purchased a Moccamaster KBT to replace a defunct 10 year old Braun automatic drip machine. The TV is disappointing on several fronts, compared to the dearly departed Braun KF600, which is no longer available in the US.

Besides being pretty ugly, and clumsy, the TV has one quirk that seems to me to be borderline unsafe. When the machine is finished making a pot, it retains almost a cup of water in the boiler works that I presume sits there until it is used the next day. Retaining that much water open to the air overnight just doesn't seem to me to be a good thing, especially given that the selling point of the TV is the lower temperature brewing so the water doesn't get boiled the next morning. This feature didn't appear in the product description or reviews I read, and unplugging the unit to drain in the sink every day will be a pain.

There's other foibles with this machine, but the water retention seems the most serious. Or have I gone Howard Hughes on this?

I've never had one so have no comment on your observations.

BUT....

I have had multiple Bunn brewers and still own 3 of them.

The Bunn retails the entire next brew cycle of water in the boiler. I.E it is ALWAYS full of water.

When turned on, the retained boiler water comes up to brew temp (198-200 degrees).

The brew does not happen until fresh cold water is put to the machine, then the brew water is displaced and sent through the brew head, The boiler heater turns on and the cycle starts all over again.

My Commercial Bunn holds 2 and a half brew cycles of water within the boiler

SO.....

Retained water has never been an issue for me.

Some say, doesn't the water in the boiler get stale sitting over night?

Well doesn't the city water get stale sitting in the pipes before it gets to your hose where it sits over night before it is delivered to your faucet?

Now if you tell me you run your water for an hour before you make coffee, you might get "fresher" water but..... I doubt many do this.

Hello, I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I recently noticed the same thing about my KBG-741, and I am not sure what to do about it. I use Ozarka bottled water for making coffee, so the analogy about water sitting in pipes wouldn't apply to me. I would like the water to be fresh, so I think I will pour out the old water after each use.

So, I think what I need to do is measure how much water the Moccamaster retains, and then every time I need to make coffee, simply add that *in addition* to the 355 grams (mL) of water I normally use. I see no other way.

Why not try a little experiment. Brew your coffee as usual and let the residual water stay in the machine till the next morning. Make the first brew with the "day old" water in place, the make another brew with "all Fresh" water and see if you can tell the difference. I am betting that you can't.
If you ever buy coffee at any restaurant or coffee shop, the odds are about 98% that the water in the coffee maker has been there a while.

I have a Breville Infuse espresso machine which is among the better entry machines (~$500 or so). The water use to pull a shot sits in a thermoblock... the water that fills it... in a plastic tank. sometimes for days.

On a higher end machine I really want but just can't get myself to pull the trigger on the cost... The Rocket Espresso Appartamento, the water sits in a boiler and a metal tank. No different for professional/restaurant grade machine (although many of these are plumbed in).

I wouldn't worry about "old" water so long as the machine is kept out of direct sunlight and cleaned/descaled regularly.

We have had a TVMM for several years and love it for the most part, the only feature we don’t care for is the auto shutoff after I think 90 mins, we use a digital timer to turn the pot on before we get up so on days I choose to sleep in sometimes it’s shutoff depending if I have slept past the time but as far as storing water and quality of brew it’s been great

Top Bottom