What's new

Techniques to straight razor shave under chin and neck area.

Anyone got any tips and tricks for shaving under the chin and neck area with a straight?

Ive always had an issue getting bbs under the chin area with a straight as i can shave upward against the grain.
The blade just wont go through the hair smoothly if i do the “up” movement from neck up to chin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone got any tips and tricks for shaving under the chin and neck area with a straight?

Ive always had an issue getting bbs under the chin area with a straight as i can shave upward against the grain.
The blade just wont go through the hair smoothly if i do the “up” movement from neck up to chin.

I meant to say “i cant shave up from the neck up to the chin”

Choke up on the blade a little and use a buffing motion. My grip for that area and direction...
(but there is usually more than one way to skin a cat.)

Important to adjust to the contour as you go, foreseeing the change needed. I think this is why buffing helps, letting you adjust in smaller increments.
6909F28F-7AC4-4565-80A3-F1729710F7A8.jpeg

Choke up on the blade a little and use a buffing motion. My grip for that area and direction...
(but there is usually more than one way to skin a cat.)

Important to adjust to the contour as you go, foreseeing the change needed. I think this is why buffing helps, letting you adjust in smaller increments.
View attachment 1022613

Ive tried so many ways.

I will give this a try though.

Ive tried so many ways.

I will give this a try though.

I also shave XTG on the submandibular triangle, holding the blade as flat to the skin as possible. For me, the XTG is what brings it on home, even with DE. I’m still not quite there with an SR, but almost.

I also shave XTG on the submandibular triangle, holding the blade as flat to the skin as possible. For me, the XTG is what brings it on home, even with DE. I’m still not quite there with an SR, but almost.

I can get most of my face BBS and as smooth as ever.

But i always struggle to get smooth under the chin area.

I would love to get everything BBS.

I love straights and my new Ralf Aust is amazing!

I can get most of my face BBS and as smooth as ever.

But i always struggle to get smooth under the chin area.

I would love to get everything BBS.

I love straights and my new Ralf Aust is amazing!

I would like to as well. Everyday, I try something a little different under the chin. My face has started to itch lately, so I know I’m getting closer. My cheeks are BBS and below is a DFS.

I love my Ralph Aust too.

The ckoked up pinch grip as illustrated above works well, but for me its still uncomfortable to hold and especially difficult when switchings hands. Right hand to shave ATG on left side and the reverse for the other. ATG on right side of my neck is my achilles heel, but getting better.

I’ve learned lately to stop obsessing about the grip and pay attention to the position and feel of the blade. The grip will follow naturally.

Paid more attention this morning wrt blade position and less about grip. I would like to thank you @ScottChapin this made life a lot easier and the shave enjoyable.

I previously did not use the middle part of the blade especially on tricky areas. This single small change made a dramatic difference 🙏🏻

Paid more attention this morning wrt blade position and less about grip. I would like to thank you @ScottChapin this made life a lot easier and the shave enjoyable.

I previously did not use the middle part of the blade especially on tricky areas. This single small change made a dramatic difference [emoji1317]

I’m glad it helped. It took me a long time to realize it.

This area has always been a challenge for me. I've been at it for a year now and I still sometimes discover (or perhaps reinvent from the group perspective) new ways to attack this. My problem is that the direction of hair growth is sideways over the entire below-chin/neck area. As this area tapers towards my ears, it is especially hard to shave sideways because the area is very concave.

A few times I tried what I do with the DE and that is the bullfrog the area to stick it out. That actually worked okay, but still the results were a little lacking compared to areas that I can fully stretch out and expose.

I do think buffing is a key though. That really helped me on my chin. Sometimes I get carried away though and the area can get a little sore with too much buffing/pressure.

My advise is to shave across the grain rather than against the grain. Also use your fingers to slide the skin away from your Adam's apple. Dont shave into your hand when doing so, grab the skin from behind the blade.

If it’s any consolation, it took me 7 months to get a smooth shave under the chin. Lots of trial and error and no pressure. I swear it will come

If it’s any consolation, it took me 7 months to get a smooth shave under the chin. Lots of trial and error and no pressure. I swear it will come

I can get a full straight razor shave done with 95% of my face BBS....and very comfortable.
However, under my chin doesnt get bbs because i just cant shave straight up from the neck up to the chin against the grain.
It just wont slice through easily.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
That is one or those things you will
Figure out as you keep shaving. Don’t worry too much about and let it happen. Eventually you will wonder why it ever was a problem.

I can get a full straight razor shave done with 95% of my face BBS....and very comfortable.
However, under my chin doesnt get bbs because i just cant shave straight up from the neck up to the chin against the grain.
It just wont slice through easily.

It’s actually one of the easier strokes which seems awkward at first. Hold the blade Kamisori(Sp?) style. Like a knife with scales in line with the tang.

Hold the blade flat to the skin and your chin up high. I go at a 45° angle upwards from outside to inside. Right handed on left side and visa versa. Play a bit with the blade angle a bit.

When coming off the submandibular triangle, the blade angles away from the chin. Therefore it doesn’t become mincemeat.

It’s hard to describe but in addition to lifting the chin to stretch I also use my off hand to push the skin tight against my throat with my thumb and forefinger. Works well and you have to do it in sections. When I was 20 it was easy to just lift the chin but as The decades piled on the skin is little looser under my chin and needs a little more help getting it taut.

Personally, I'm not into adjusting my grip etc on the blade. Its more about flattening the face.

Practise pulling faces, stretching the skin with your fingers, stretching/lifting your chin etc, to make flat spots - it makes shaving so much easier. I use my fingers (dabbed on a wetted alum block to get grip) to stretch the skin when necessary.

some people may be horrified with my technique, but when my left hand fails on the trouble-some chin area on the left side of my face - i can swap to my right hand to finish the job nicely (one day may happen when i do the same with the right-side and swap to left hand, but not just yet) - each to their own! but it works for me.

Top Bottom